Newest Members
mossTI, E35, 1975, Lucy, StacyR
12337 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Who's Online
1 registered (petercorbett), 14 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12337 Members
74 Forums
63422 Topics
443383 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#331459 - 05/21/10 12:54 PM Wh among you still believes in God?
traillius Offline

Despite all that has happened. I believe, although I am a little angry about everything I have experienced negatively. I doubt myself, not God. After all, God is not the perpetrator. Neither am I, but I don't doubt on that account. I doubt due to my imperfections, and those of others. I want to be a better follower of the faith I am attached to. ( roman catholic christian ) Its just that the doubt and pain, and all my responsibilities, both make it hard.

#331464 - 05/21/10 01:19 PM Re: Wh among you still believes in God? [Re: traillius]
Obi Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: kansas
traillius,

i still believe... you are correct. we are all imperfect. we are all sinners. we all fall short of the glory of God. for this every single one of us should be spending eternity in hell. however, through Christ's death our sins are washed away. john 3:16 explains it all.

my story

my vlog

#331472 - 05/21/10 02:14 PM Re: Wh among you still believes in God? [Re: Obi]
FormerTexan Offline
Site Administrator
MaleSurvivor
Loc: Denver, CO
The abuse hasn't shaken my faith any. I tend to look to the book of Job for a clear picture.

1. That

If I could meet myself as a boy...

#331475 - 05/21/10 03:53 PM Re: Wh among you still believes in God? [Re: FormerTexan]
calv Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: seattle
Abuse has "refined" my faith...

I was told what to believe and not to feel. I grew up in church but always knew in my heart that something was wrong !?! I just didn't know what it was. Everything looked one way on the outside... but what was on the inside was pure hell.
If God was real... than why was church so f**ked up?
I prayed and prayed...
God please show me the truth!!!

He did.
It is not easy...
but I have come to know Him
and he watches over me and gives me peace.

Religious institutions are full of sick people...
It made me sick too...

Church has taken on a new identity for me.
It is a very personal thing for me.
I only share my thoughts about it with those whom I trust.
I don't debate religious issues.
But I do fellowship with the real church...
with my bros and sisters
walking the same path as me.

It is very scary... because i feel like I was brain washed...
now im washing my brain!!!
renewing my mind
understanding what is real and what is not.

God is answering those prayers i prayed as a child,
he is giving me wisdom and understanding...
and it is very humbling.

“When the Japanese mend broken objects, they aggrandize the damage by filling the cracks with gold. They believe that when something’s suffered damage and has a history it becomes more beautiful.” Barbara Bloom

#331486 - 05/21/10 05:21 PM Re: Wh among you still believes in God? [Re: calv]
MusicMan Offline

Loc: Elmira, NY
Hello men,

Thanks for this post traillius. This is the biggest part of my life and my recovery, that is, my relationship with God. I count it as my greatest privilege to be able to know Him and have a personal relationship with Him.

I know that I have wondered why many things had to happen, but whatever happened happened. I'm OK and survived. The damage has been vast for me, but I'm still here and happy to be that way. No matter what, I am blessed.

Beside working on my recovery and the difficulties I experience with that, the only problem that I have with my relationship with God is my inability to figure out mentally, emotionally and spiritually how to forgive my perpetrators. I really, really want to, but I don't know how. I could say that I do, but to know it and feel it is a different story. I'm working on it. That is my goal. Who am I that I should hold on to the anger and the hurt and unforgiveness, when I know that God has forgiven me.

I know that God is good all of the time and that He understands where I am. I absolutely know how you feel. I don't doubt God, I only doubt myself. I agree, too, with you, calv, that the abuse has refined my faith. I have learned that the world is full of imperfection. But, God is perfect and He takes my hand and walks me through it all.

God bless.

#331488 - 05/21/10 05:29 PM Re: Wh among you still believes in God? [Re: MusicMan]
pufferfish Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: USA
I do.

I read the Book of Eli daily (see the movie to understand why I say that). And I try to listen to and follow the voice I'm hearing.

Allen

pufferfish

#332729 - 06/01/10 11:55 PM Re: Wh among you still believes in God? [Re: pufferfish]
nltsaved Offline

Loc: Kc,Mo
when i called out he heard me when i called on him he showed up
when i excepted him he changed me.
the end .

you are not alone never were
WRITTEN FORM
http://www.malesurvivor.org/board/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=339159#Post339159
Why i hate Religion but love Jesus
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1IAhDGYlpqY

#332814 - 06/02/10 07:19 PM Re: Wh among you still believes in God? [Re: nltsaved]
Canuck Offline

Loc: CA, United States
I do.
Sometimes I hate Him. But I think He understands. Well, at least I hope He does.

#335517 - 07/07/10 03:53 PM Re: Wh among you still believes in God? [Re: Canuck]
woundedowl Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Coastal NC
I Still Believe In God!
In 1968 when I was a 6 year old my mom started to send me to church. She went to the Sunday service with me and that was it. She did not go to the church any other time because she was afraid that she would be ask questions about home life ect...but she sent me to everything there was for a child my age. The only catch was that I had to walk to the end of the block and turn the corner out of sight of my house and continue down the long lonely sidewalk to the big white doors alone. So hard to open, so afraid of getting my hand trapped. I remember how it smelled as I entered, with heart pounding and??? (memories evaporate after this, I still don't know why I cannot remember anything about church????) If my mother ever knew how terrifying all of this was she would have kept me home, but she was a victim too and home was it's own little nightmare. (I can feel this all so vividly as I write) Being little and in the situation I was in was lonely. Just me, mom and he/she? Kind of like climbing up out of hell and walking a demonic gauntlet of terror on the way to church. I don't remember what happened at church. I only remember that picture of Jesus on the wall and somehow, someway He was there and held my hand, every time, on that long walk that was at night and during the day, hot or cold, rain or shine, relentless. I don't remember either end of the trip only the long treks back and forth. I think she really wanted them to see, not realizing.....seeing and helping are two different things. But He walked with me and walks with me. When I was a boy I could sometimes see Him and He would tell me things and I could see angels and oh how they want to help but they cannot cross over without our help. I know it sounds crazy! but I am balling my eyes out, I don't know why, it just happens (and happens, and happens.......) I could not live if He was not holding my hand. The church hates me and rejects me. It does not understand nor care to understand my problems. I am not imagining this, I have been told in so many words more than once. Beware confiding in religious friends, watch the relationship change, like magic. I am not criticizing anyone, it just hurts, that's all. I do not fault them for they are filled with sick people who are mostly in denial about a lot of stuff themselves. Considering what goes on under their own roofs, I am not surprised. No matter! If I am condemned by the masses as a non believer unless I pretend to live another man's life, so be it, for He Still Holds My Hand!! I Still Believe In God!

#336202 - 07/17/10 02:30 AM Re: Wh among you still believes in God? [Re: woundedowl]
Alchemist Offline

Loc: Florida
No. No I don't believe in God anymore. Stopped a long time ago.

I sometimes think if all this would be easier if I still had faith. I always found comfort in things like prayer before I stopped believing. But then I realize I'd rather face a hard truth than believe a beautiful lie.

I'm not trying to rag on anyone's beliefs and if your faith in whatever/whoever has helped you then by all means keep doing what you're doing. Just saying things from my personal perspective is all.

#336260 - 07/18/10 10:24 AM Re: Wh among you still believes in God? [Re: Alchemist]
SirVivor Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: CA
Hello Brothers,

I write this to you on a summer's Sunday morning. It's beautiful right now but this whole week hasn't been emotionally, and I've found my self wrestling with the same concerns mentioned here. What it felt like to me was that I loved Jesus but he didn't love me. But then I realized, I was looking at it from the World's institutional perspective. But where is the "Good News" I keep hearing about?

I am a Universalist. I believe we can all learn from each other. How does that old story go? Something like this; "I was complaining to God about this, that, and the other and I asked why He/She would not send some-one to fix it... He/She said, "I did send some one, YOU!"

Some here have said that we are born broken, sinners, and I respect that. I believe that we are all children of God and that Jesus was trying to teach us how to realize that. That's the "Good News" to me.

Bless You All

#336261 - 07/18/10 11:20 AM Re: Wh among you still believes in God? [Re: pufferfish]
InsideTheWall Offline

Originally Posted By: pufferfish
I do.

I read the Book of Eli daily (see the movie to understand why I say that). And I try to listen to and follow the voice I'm hearing.

Allen

pufferfish

I've seen that movie and liked it. Personally though, I prefer The Wall and listen to it almost every day.

#336299 - 07/18/10 07:57 PM Re: Wh among you still believes in God? [Re: InsideTheWall]
pufferfish Offline
MaleSurvivor

Thank you,

I've never seen it. I'll put it in my Netflix list.

Allen

pufferfish

#336305 - 07/18/10 09:10 PM Re: Wh among you still believes in God? [Re: pufferfish]
InsideTheWall Offline

Wait! I'm almost regretting saying anything. I was referring to the album, not the movie. You don't want to watch the movie until you're already familiar with the album it came from. The images you'll find in the film, which is more of a feature length rock video than a movie, are very dark. It can be very uplifting if you understand the underlying themes of societal isolation, hope, and the idea that one is never truly alone.

But if you don't understand it will come across to you as depressing at best. The movie is too brutal to serve as a good introduction. Buy the album, don't watch the film.

Sorry for thread jack. It ends now.

Edited by InsideTheWall (07/18/10 09:20 PM)

#336314 - 07/18/10 11:25 PM Re: Wh among you still believes in God? [Re: InsideTheWall]
westsidej Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Minnesota
Greetings my brothers. How's everyone's summer so far? Sorry that I haven't been online much.

Great posts so far on both the religious/atheist points of view.

Here's where I come down. I was raised by a non-practicing Jewish mother and agnostic father, at best who also had Jewish heritage.

I was circumcised, ate Matzoh crackers, some other Kosher foods but that was about it insofar as my faith was concerned. I went to Catholic church with my friends simply due to peer pressure.

During and after my years of molestation, I started to look for a faith but could never find a Christian religion or denomination that felt right to me and answered my questions about G-d and what happened to me.

Several girlfriends tried to get me to attend their churches and I did but didn't feel right or my faith affirmed by their doctrine or deacons. The trinity never made sense to me and I have always rejected the council of Nicea.

I ended up marrying a Unitarian Universalist but don't agree w/ much of their belief system, save the Judeo-Christian part that they have as part of their faith. The only reason I go to the UU church sometimes is that you can't have children w/ parents of two different faiths or odds are they will end up with no faith at all. Luckily, there's plenty of Jewish thought and wisdom in the UU "religion."

Finally, after soul searching and finally dealing with my CSA by getting into therapy, I have found my way back to Judaism, the religion of my ancestors on both sides of the family.

I've joined a local synagogue's intro to Judaism courses since I have to become a Jew, even though I have grandparent's on both sides who are Jewish. I'm been reading books and downloading podcasts on Judaism & Jewish life.

So, to come full circle and answer the question, my parent's poor job at both protecting me from predators (and even knew about a couple of my abusers) and providing me with spiritual guidance resulted in years of soul searching and finding out what my faith and belief system really it.

The CSA didn't really shake my faith in the almighty since that was already taken care of for the most part by my parents.

Thank G-d, I returned to the religion that suited me the entire time, Judaism.

Take care my brothers and have a fantastic rest of the summer.

Jay

The hottest place in Hell is reserved for those who remain neutral in times of great moral conflict. Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.

#336520 - 07/22/10 01:13 AM Re: Wh among you still believes in God? [Re: westsidej]
CruxFidelis Offline

Loc: NJ
I've always believed in God.

I was born into a strict Jewish family, learned the Torah, had my Bar Mitzvah and all that. My wife & I started dating in high school and they weren't so keen on me dating a non-Jewish girl, and in my late adolescence I wasn't such a good Jew... that was OK, because my wife was a lapsed Catholic with no attachment to religion. Eventually, she had a conversion. I saw how prayer made her feel safe. She is a survivor of sexual abuse and before she started praying again, I was the only person who could make her feel safe, but when she had flashbacks and she started asking Jesus to be with her and keep her safe, it gave her a feeling of peace. I saw firsthand how getting back into her Catholic faith helped her heal from the sexual abuse in her life. When she had a PTSD episode and asked me to pray with her, I did. I found myself saying the Rosary even though no one had taught me to say it. I wanted to experience the security she felt. I wanted the peace inside me too. Eventually, I decided to convert to Catholicism. I twasn't the easiest choice... my family was not so happy. But I did it nonetheless.

God is the glue that holds me & my family together, and I don't think any amount of suffering can change that

- Saint John of the Cross

#336523 - 07/22/10 01:59 AM Re: Wh among you still believes in God? [Re: CruxFidelis]
calv Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: seattle
Thats a great story! God works... in mysterious ways.
I was told what to belive and how to feel growing up.
We read the Bible after every meal and prayed b4 and after the meal.
A strict dutch reformed community w a christian school.

I always knew God was real and I did love the Bible stories.
I remember Him as a very young child BUT...
i could not understand how such awful stuff could happen to me...

It has been a long journey with me and God. He can be found in almost any place!
Follow your heart and seek him I think you will find him exact where you need him.
We don't always get along...
And religion confuses me.
Ive gone thru a few "church sects" and met many other "people of faith" Ive come to respect others choices and I don't debate theology. There is just so much I don't know! If it is working for you it is no one eles's bizness...
You may find that your past will help you in the future together, There is just something about connecting with God and if you get that than your in a good place. You never know where the road will lead you.
Family is Family... but your WIFE is your WIFE ! You belong together!?

I like your glue!

“When the Japanese mend broken objects, they aggrandize the damage by filling the cracks with gold. They believe that when something’s suffered damage and has a history it becomes more beautiful.” Barbara Bloom

#336535 - 07/22/10 11:41 AM Re: Wh among you still believes in God? [Re: CruxFidelis]
Jim1961 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Pa, but likely traveling...
Originally Posted By: CruxFidelis
I've always believed in God.

I was born into a strict Jewish family, learned the Torah, had my Bar Mitzvah and all that. My wife & I started dating in high school and they weren't so keen on me dating a non-Jewish girl, and in my late adolescence I wasn't such a good Jew... that was OK, because my wife was a lapsed Catholic with no attachment to religion. Eventually, she had a conversion. I saw how prayer made her feel safe. She is a survivor of sexual abuse and before she started praying again, I was the only person who could make her feel safe, but when she had flashbacks and she started asking Jesus to be with her and keep her safe, it gave her a feeling of peace. I saw firsthand how getting back into her Catholic faith helped her heal from the sexual abuse in her life. When she had a PTSD episode and asked me to pray with her, I did. I found myself saying the Rosary even though no one had taught me to say it. I wanted to experience the security she felt. I wanted the peace inside me too. Eventually, I decided to convert to Catholicism. I twasn't the easiest choice... my family was not so happy. But I did it nonetheless.

God is the glue that holds me & my family together, and I don't think any amount of suffering can change that

That is an inspiring story. Thanks for sharing!

I was an agnostic/atheist most of my teen/adult life. Then I married a Catholic, and saw (as you did) first hand how her Faith helped carry her through tragedy.

She was diagnosed with breast cancer 8 years ago, and never wavered in her Faith. She is now (thankfully) in remission.

I joined the church in 2003.

smile

Jim

My Story

#336611 - 07/23/10 10:46 AM Re: Wh among you still believes in God? [Re: MusicMan]
captainobvious Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Oregon
Hi MusicMan,

At the most recent Weekend of Recovery in Canada I let go of a big chunk of my anger towards one of my perpetrators, my Dad, through a human sculpting activity that we did. I learned that I can hate and despise the part of my Dad that abused me and love the part that took me fishing and camping and taught me how to fish, garden, work and to use tools. Through that separation of good and evil came forgiveness.

If you haven't already, or even if you have, I would recommend attending a weekend of recovery. It was a totally awesome time and there will be others there that you can discuss forgiveness with.

CaptainObvious

WoR Kempenfelt July 2010, Sequoia March 2011

#336615 - 07/23/10 11:10 AM Re: Wh among you still believes in God? [Re: Jim1961]
captainobvious Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Oregon
I still believe in God. What has really helped me is to remember that I John says that God IS love and that John 3:16 says the "God so LOVED the world, that he GAVE his Son..." I realized that God loves me for who I am, not because I earned it or needed to do something, but because he loves all of us unconditionally! It is that unconditional love that I have been looking for all my life.

I was raised fundamentalist in a Baptist church. My dad and mom were my abusers and my Dad was a deacon in the church, so that has given me a real disgust for hyprocrisy!

Shortly before getting married I left fundamentalism and my future bride left it to. For most our married life we have been Lutheran, but that recently hasn't been doing the trick. I didn't feel like I could be authentic at church. I felt like I had to put on a happy face and I wasn't really sure if I would be accepted if people there knew about the abuse.

Recently I have been attending an Orthodox church, which is way different than either Catholicism or Prodestantism. The first time I attended the priest's wife, who knew about my abuse, told me that the church is a hospital. That is something I totally believe. I feel very supported at this church but I am taking things very slow. Just enjoying the services and the lunch they have every Sunday after the service. Orthodoxism aligns much more closely theologically with where I have been headed for a long time, but I don't agree with all of the doctrine.

My faith in God as always been there and has sustained me through many difficult times. I believe that in His love for us God gave us freedom of choice, and sometimes people make horrible choices, like abusing others, but God is not responsible for those choices, the abusers are!

CaptainObvious

WoR Kempenfelt July 2010, Sequoia March 2011

#337703 - 08/05/10 01:11 PM Re: Wh among you still believes in God? [Re: captainobvious]
somerandomguy Offline

God is a lie invented by people who want to have power over other people. One only has to look at the continuing scandals in the Catholic Church to see this.

I was raised Catholic, and that was absolutely a factor in my eventual abuse situation. As long as little children are taught that they are *personally* murdering Jesus when they do something wrong, the power imbalance will continue. The thought that I was personally contributing to the torture and murder of another person terrorized and paralyzed me when I was a child.

The excuse that "God's church is run by fallible mortals" is simply trash spewed by people willing to minimize the abuse and empower the perpetrators.

#337774 - 08/06/10 02:25 PM Re: Wh among you still believes in God? [Re: somerandomguy]
Daniel-Peter Offline

um...brother...please take this as kind words meant in a loving explanation.

Sins are not murdering Christ, Christ sacrificed himself to take all our sins...then and now and in the future....upon Himself that we may be forgiven in Him, as He alone is the only possible perfect sacrifice for our sins.

Who ever told you that when you sin you take part in the murder of Christ, was guilty of an old heresey that seperates Christ from the Holy Trinity: God cannot be killed.

As for minimizing by saying "men" did it. Actually, God didn't do it, Christ didn't do it, and I, and millions of other faithful Christians didn't do it...a "man" (perhpas a women, as I don't know the circumstances, nor is it heathly for me to hear it) did it. It was a sinful, fallible man who should be punished, SEVERALLY. But you are correct, where the Church is concerned, the Church is not guiltless. Church's need to step forward, demand hugh penance by the offender, cooperate with the police just as if a murderer had made a confession in a confessional which requires them by lwa to disclose (hmmm...a similar certainly seems appropriate), and look for the flaws and loopholes in theological or seminary training that allowed pedophiles to get in in the first place. The Church's penance should be public acceptance of responsibilty, organizational restructuring to prevent recurrances, and cooperation with the legal system. Absolutely. But by using the word church we must be sure to not confuse the word Church, were Jesus is the Head and we are all incorporate in the body...and "church" as in a heirarchial structured legal corporation with a human being as primate or "supreme" leader, that exists as a entity recognized by various state legislative bodies. It is the latter, the "church" composed solely of contemporary "quick" people that is responsible for addressing those changes and accepting responsibility. So, by pointing a finger at a "man" the true perpetrator is identified, and the "church" can then either do the right thing and address the problem, or, do what we have all come to expect them to do and play sematics, redirect, deny, move the "man", or otherwise obfuscate and deny responsibility and potential litigation (thus, not be truly repentant nor willing to do penance, nor have the will to change their "corporate" life.)

I don't meant to contradict you brother, I merely have a diferent point of view.

Peace be with you.

#337779 - 08/06/10 04:02 PM Re: Wh among you still believes in God? [Re: Daniel-Peter]
Jim1961 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Pa, but likely traveling...
Back in December 2004, I was immersed in cybersex sin. Looking at really disturbing images, reading really BAD stories. I did not realize at the time that I was a sex addict (I sure know that now).

One night I was in Houston, TX on business. And (again) looked at very bad stuff on the Internet. The next morning was a day honoring Mary, and I was obliged to go to Mass. I found a local church that had a 6 AM mass, plenty of time after to get to my appointment.

My heart ached terribly due to the sin. I felt worthless and perverted. But I was in the right place for healing.

I prayed that God would heal my heart and give me peace.

When I received the Eucharist, I knelt down in the pew and suddenly this rush of joy came over me. Suddenly the pain was GONE and in its place was JOY. I cried and Thanked God for His Grace.

The journey continues, I have much work to do. But since that experience I KNOW that God is real and that His Spirit resides in me.

Peace.

My Story

#341488 - 10/05/10 05:34 PM Re: Wh among you still believes in God? [Re: Alchemist]
JPaschal Offline

Loc: Seattle, WA
No. I stopped being Christian about 13 years ago, I turned Pagan then. Recently I have discovered that, for me, relgion holds no logic what so ever, and I became an Atheist. For me, if God does exist, he is a hippocrate. A child with a magnifying glass, eyeing the ant hill on a sunny summer day.

Edited by JPaschal (10/05/10 09:08 PM)

#341491 - 10/05/10 06:18 PM Re: Wh among you still believes in God? [Re: JPaschal]
EvanCan Offline
MaleSurvivor

I believe in God. I think He is pretty fantastic.
I'm not real keen on most organized religions, but I'm way down with God. And I'm way down with Jesus, too, but in a Very Untraditional way.

#341556 - 10/06/10 04:31 PM Re: Wh among you still believes in God? [Re: EvanCan]
kb8715 Offline
MaleSurvivor

I respect everyone's right to their own feelings, and hope they respect mine as well. For me I woould not be in recovery today if it were not for my deep faith. I am a clergy CSA survivor and thank God every day for bringing me here. Be well all.

#341625 - 10/07/10 10:01 AM Re: Wh among you still believes in God? [Re: kb8715]
traillius Offline

God helps me heal, but he won't force me or anyone to acknowledge. Come freely or don't come at all, God says. He isn't in to mindless automatons.

#342367 - 10/18/10 06:17 AM Re: Wh among you still believes in God? [Re: Alchemist]
kb8715 Offline
MaleSurvivor

He pulled me from the brink and I thank him everyday for my recovery......

#346221 - 11/25/10 05:34 AM Re: Wh among you still believes in God? [Re: Alchemist]
joe1334_us Offline

Loc: Wyoming
As I have become more and more educated I have also become enlightened. "GOD" may have been the simple mans way of explaining the unknown for many years as it is today while the whole concept of doctrine is MAN MADE and without any foundation in fact. I for one do not choose to put my faith or fate in the hands of any one person as we are all with fault. I have found no entity that is without fault either. So I guess the true meaning of the concept of GOD is certainly not to be defined by either doctrine or by man and any person who says they know gods wishes is a LIAR and the most narcissistic person I can think of. Why do some follow fools and liars? I fr one choose not to, as I have learned that putting my trust in people is certainly going to lead to disappointment or disaster. I can put my trust in myself and find success and happiness, as well as growth. At least with my self I have no one to blame but my self.

So in closing I have chosen at this point to believe in myself and to grow not to change but to just grow after all I am not a Gekko I am a person I cannot change colors but I can be better and help others with the knowledge and experience I have gained.

#346489 - 11/29/10 12:39 AM Re: Wh among you still believes in God? [Re: Alchemist]
Nas Offline

I am and have been a strong follower of Christ for sometime now, I have been a worship leader in various Churches for many years. I was abused (incest) from the about the age of 7 to the age of 11. Although I am strongly attracted to women I still had struggles with ssa and this has been a real hard place for me and my relationship with God. I have begged pleaded and cried out to God to help me with this and it just seems to not get any better. I feel like my sass has kept me from having a relationship and often gets me depressed. I have seasons in my life where my relationship with God is a wild roller coaster, I am in that season now and it is a spiritual struggle, so wait.

#347188 - 12/05/10 05:48 PM Re: Wh among you still believes in God? [Re: Nas]
Ever-fixed Mark Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: United States
The more I see of those who follow gods, the less I believe in any gods at all.

I think that the belief in gods is most likely an adaptation with evolutionary advantages like this, or this, or this. Alternately, it's an attempt by the collective human psyche to create a comforting fictional afterlife to buffer the realization of our certain mortality.

-efm

Everybody here's got a story to tell
Everybody's been through their own hell
There's nothing too special about getting hurt
Getting over it, that takes the work

- "Duck and Cover" by Glen Phillips

#347189 - 12/05/10 06:08 PM Re: Wh among you still believes in God? [Re: Nas]
prisonerID Offline
Greeter Emeritus
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Oklahoma
Nas,

Thank you for sharing this very personal struggle. Don't be too tough on yourself. Reach out to others here for support.

Daryl

#348063 - 12/14/10 07:57 AM Re: Wh among you still believes in God? [Re: Alchemist]
hurtn4yrs Offline

Loc: USA, NY
I have a condition called sleep apnea, it is severe, at my most recent sleep study, I stopped breathing 62 times in about 5 hours. while dreaming, I see and speak to friends, family, and strangers,who have passed on, for brief moments, the last time this happened, I saw an angel, watching me going back into my body, he smiled at me, and I knodded at him as I passed him. I have seen one friend many times, the last time, he was with some friends, whom I have never met or known, he was leading them into a small house, which I assume, is where he now lives, he picked up his cat, and they were heading into the house, when his friend saw me materializing, and he said," Bob, their's an outside entity out here" to which Bob replied " well leave the outside entity outside, and come in the house" I believe in God, I have NO DOUBTS ABOUT IT! This is only one of many such [visits to the afterlife] dreams.

#348675 - 12/21/10 12:38 AM Re: Wh among you still believes in God? [Re: prisonerID]
Nas Offline

Thanks Daryl, it is really hard for me to reach out but I am learning to trust more

#419576 - 12/19/12 05:33 PM Re: Wh among you still believes in God? [Re: traillius]
BuffaloCO Offline

I believe...

#419591 - 12/19/12 08:44 PM Re: Wh among you still believes in God? [Re: traillius]
traveler Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: somewhere in Africa
guilty as charged!

Lee
Now I know my life has meaning
Now I see myself as I am, feeling very free...
When my tears have come to an end I will understand
What I left behind: a part of me. Chicago

#419592 - 12/19/12 09:35 PM Re: Wh among you still believes in God? [Re: traillius]
genedebs Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: MO
I believe in God. My father died and then he lived for another 17 years. I felt God's pesence pass through me before he woke up from his brain death. I have trouble with God's Mercy just like Johah, but at least I don't runaway any more.

#420277 - 12/28/12 12:37 AM . [Re: traillius]
Life's A Dream Offline

Loc: Bouvet Island

Edited by Life's A Dream (01/12/13 09:19 PM)

#420303 - 12/28/12 12:49 PM Re: Wh among you still believes in God? [Re: traillius]
ALovingMum Offline

Loc: England
I believe in God. He has heard my cries and seen my every tear in the dead of the night when no one else is about. He has kept the strong and powerful from sending my children to live with their abuser. He gave us a peaceful Christmas this year when my son asked him - the first in 6 years from my sons, and the first in 10 years for me! I am still here today because God cares. He is real and He answers prayers.

#420315 - 12/28/12 02:46 PM Re: Wh among you still believes in God? [Re: traillius]
JoziSA Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Johannesburg, South Africa
-efm

I'm still reading your research....very interesting. Will comments after I have read it all.

South African MALE SURVIVORS of Sexual Abuse
www.samsosa.org
If your mind can perceive it and your heart can believe it, YOU can achieve it.

#420316 - 12/28/12 03:48 PM Re: Wh among you still believes in God? [Re: traillius]
JoziSA Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Johannesburg, South Africa
- efm

Your last link does not go to the correct page. Please send me the last "and this" link.

South African MALE SURVIVORS of Sexual Abuse
www.samsosa.org
If your mind can perceive it and your heart can believe it, YOU can achieve it.

#442195 - 07/25/13 11:57 PM Re: Wh among you still believes in God? [Re: traillius]
victor-victim Offline

Loc: O Kanada
i never stopped believing in god.
i did, however, have my arguments, blasphemies, and criticisms.

lately, i have come to the conclusion that since i have never created anything, i should just shut up.
i can't even manage my own life properly, let alone the entire universe.

War
Love
Poetry

#462773 - 03/17/14 08:39 PM Re: Wh among you still believes in God? [Re: traillius]
gettingstronger Offline

Loc: Virginia
I do. Absolutely. I've had way too many prayers answered. While I do believe "coincidences" do indeed happen, my own experience would be like winning the lottery several times in a row-- either you're way, way beyond lucky, or you're getting help somewhere.

What I don't believe in is that (a) the world is a just place, and (b) there must not be a God because really bad things happen so often to good people. The things that brought me to this site were NOT a result of God being there or not being there; they were just things that happened. Why? Who knows. They just did. Neither I nor God had anything to do with it.

So to answer your question, yes. I personally believe Jesus has been there for me too many times, and will continue to be there for me in the future. That's my two cents.

Bob

#462875 - 03/19/14 11:09 PM Re: Wh among you still believes in God? [Re: traillius]
Tedure Offline

Loc: Utah
Thanks for your question. This is how I feel about God.

“Behold, I have graven thee upon the palms of my hands” (Isa 49:16) “I am with you always, even unto the end of the world.” (Matt 28:20)

The remnants of the dragon’s storm are always with me like a quiet breeze in my mind. They will never leave… they are memories. Because of this an addict is always an addict. The only thing that changes belongs to the word recovery. It’s a new word I’m learning and I have to learn it again every day

I have complete faith in Christ when he says, “I will go before your face. I will be on your right hand and on your left, and my spirit shall be in your hearts and mine angels round about you to bear you up.” Christ is now before my face straight in front of me. Many times in my life the rocks have been on my right and left but now I have Christ there to help stop me from hitting them. I focus on my vision which is always straight in front before my face, the space between the rocks. As I do this His spirit fills my heart and His angels bear me up…so I can make it through another day and live in the reality of now. Knowing that I am a son of the living God and that He loves me totally and completely helps me so much.

I spent much of my life desperate for love and not knowing what words to use or where to find it. All I have ever wanted was to have someone or something fill the hole in my heart and love me. . . I needed calm, control, and a feeling of all is well in my life… I needed LOVE.

My wife and Christ have done this.

His Atonement has filled and healed me.
Christ has restored all that was taken from me many years ago in my youth… My power, my sexual identity, my self-worth and most importantly my soul…
“He restoreth my soul: he leadeth me in the paths of righteousness…” Ps. 23:3

That is how I feel, Thanks for your question, Ted

#463159 - 03/25/14 04:49 PM Re: Wh among you still believes in God? [Re: victor-victim]
nltsaved Offline

Loc: Kc,Mo
pure awesomeness !!
you are not alone never were
WRITTEN FORM
http://www.malesurvivor.org/board/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=339159#Post339159
Why i hate Religion but love Jesus
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1IAhDGYlpqY

#463181 - 03/26/14 12:09 AM Re: Wh among you still believes in God? [Re: nltsaved]
pufferfish Offline
MaleSurvivor

I do.

Puffer

#464038 - 04/13/14 01:35 PM Re: Wh among you still believes in God? [Re: traillius]
On The Fringe Offline

Loc: Southeast USA
I believe. I also people are free to do as they wish. There are consequences.

A perv decides to groom a kid to be his sex toy, me. There are consequences of that CSA in my life. It messed me up for a bit. But I also believe it comes back to the perp. I may never see or know.

In short, the actions of a small group of evil doing people can often color people's feelings on God.

I am trying to not let the perp steal my ability to believe in God.

I try and remember the good, the wonder of the creation, the ability to love.

Some days I struggle.

#464833 - 04/30/14 09:38 PM Re: Wh among you still believes in God? [Re: traillius]
atari_kid86 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Michigan
I don't.

This is not to say I am opposed to or in any way disrespectful or hold malice against those who do. I just don't. However, I consider myself a spiritual agnostic, who happens to be a Unitarian. smile

But I wasn't always this way.

I grew up in the Lutheran church. I lived and breathed it. I attended school there most of my childhood. I was confirmed and participated in the Holy Sacraments. I went to Sunday school, vacation Bible school, and Lutheran summer camp. This was my life. I knew (and still know) much of the Bible inside and out. Heck, my dad even took steps to become a minister (his alcholism probably is why they passed him over). But something changed pretty early on for me.

*trigger warning*

I never quite fit in in school. I was the kid who was perpetually bullied, demeaned, and had no friends (remember this is Lutheran school)... except God. He was there. Then at age 9 when a neighbor boy (my only "friend") raped me, I started to wonder where this all loving God was. Then I figured that this was like the Job story. He was testing me. So even as damaged and broken as I was after that, I kept my faith in Him.

Then the next "friend" raped me.

Job experienced a heap of troubles. I hated myself wanted to die, but was always taught suicide was a sin and the last thing I wanted to do was sin and not have a chance to ask for forgiveness. My faith was erroding as my life took a downward spiral that my 11 year old brain wasn't physically capable of comprehending (my brain now can't either). During this nightmare, the bullying increased, my school work went straight to hell, and my disfunctional family was falling apart (my parents split then). My faith still flickered on, barely.

My troubles were just starting.

When my mom married her husband, who would go on to sexually abuse and rape me on a daily basis for 3 years, that's when I realized, either God is dead or He was never there to begin with.

This was a hard struggle for me. In my mid teens, I endured a grueling crisis of faith. In the end, I concluded that maybe there is or maybe there isn't a God. If there was one, then He wasn't an interventionalist God.

This story has a semi-happy ending.

Despite my problems defining God or lack there of, I still wanted a community like most church going people have. But where does an agnostic like myself go for that? Insert the Unitarian Universalist church. I have been a member for almost a year now and am very happy to have a group of friends and support who are like minded, good hearted, loving people.

I hope I didn't offend anyone. I sincerly apologize if I have. I took my time writing this to be careful to be sensitive to others who do not share my spiritual beliefs.

Thanks for reading.

#464869 - 05/01/14 03:08 PM Re: Wh among you still believes in God? [Re: traillius]
traveler Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: somewhere in Africa
atari kid -

thanks for sharing your story.

we have a lot in common - raised in the church, abused by "friends" and step-father.

the big difference is that i ended at a different conclusion. i still believe in God. it hasn't been easy to maintain that faith - and i can't really explain how or why. but it has been important to me - and one of my main sources of hope that has kept me going.

i did not find your post offensive in the least. thank you for your care and sensitivity in trying not to hurt anyone. that is my goal as well.

i am glad that you have found a place of caring community.

love and peace to you,
LEE
Now I know my life has meaning
Now I see myself as I am, feeling very free...
When my tears have come to an end I will understand
What I left behind: a part of me. Chicago

#468191 - 07/29/14 05:46 PM Re: Wh among you still believes in God? [Re: On The Fringe]
victor-victim Offline

Loc: O Kanada
Quote:
I am trying to not let the perp steal my ability to believe in God.

you hit the nail on my head.

War
Love
Poetry

#469017 - 08/16/14 11:42 AM Re: Wh among you still believes in God? [Re: JoziSA]
Ever-fixed Mark Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: United States
JoziSA,

The original publication has been removed and there is no online copy I can point to. It was called "Survival of the Godliest" by the demographer Phillip Longman. I did find what looks like a partial or complete extract here.

The thesis was that a number of behaviors of religious adherents conferred survival benefits. Specifically, that religious people have more children than non-religious people. The result is more religious people and less non-religious people over time. And the more religious people are, the greater number of children they have, therefore the religious community becomes more fundamentalist over time.

~efm

Edited by Ever-fixed Mark (08/16/14 11:50 AM)
Edit Reason: Link found

Everybody here's got a story to tell
Everybody's been through their own hell
There's nothing too special about getting hurt
Getting over it, that takes the work

- "Duck and Cover" by Glen Phillips

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  ModTeam 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.