Newest Members
JayNL, Robert Barrett, lostsoul824, beatcook, MassGuy
12279 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
melnjams (42), rage (27)
Who's Online
0 registered (), 22 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12279 Members
73 Forums
63191 Topics
441852 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#329413 - 04/23/10 12:10 AM Motivation or my lack thereof
onlyakid Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: New Jersey
It just seems like I always have trouble getting myself to do what I need to do. Right now I am switching careers because I've been unemployed for the past year and haven't been able to find anything in my profession. So I took a training course in my new profession and now its time to take a certification test so my resume looks good enough for people to higher me. Can't seem to get myself to start studying using my review guide. Anyone have anything that helps them get themselves motivated?

"and i don't want the world to see me, cause i don't think that they'd understand"

"You don't know what love is...you just do as your told"

"My life has changed. What you take as a simple thing, is not so simple for me anymore"

#329419 - 04/23/10 01:06 AM Re: Motivation or my lack thereof [Re: onlyakid]
Charlie24 Offline

Jason,

Yes this is a problem I've struggled with for years and continue to struggle with in my life.

What kicks me in the but and gets me going is I think about long term goals. I'm a senior in college and I still have one more year to go. I'm ready to be done with this bullshit of teachers telling me I'm not good enough, that I can't do it.

I think about if I keep procrastinating, that I'm gonna just be another year older and another semester longer that I still have to go. That is what motivates me. Another thing that motivates me is having shitty professors. Cause I think about having to retake classes, especially when it's a class that is taught by the same teacher semester in and out.

It's hard to get motivated and get myself going. I struggle with this even more given the fact given I feel like I don't have the best hand dealt to me, trying to deal with it but I know how it goes.

I hate to be brutal Jason but what motivates is when I procrastinate I see my life slipping away. I get older and not much to show for it. I want to move forward and actually start working, I'm looking forward to working, being in a job where I can help people with nutrition and exercise.

Charlie.

#329421 - 04/23/10 01:51 AM Re: Motivation or my lack thereof [Re: Charlie24]
Alidade Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Houston, Texas
Try looking at the index to see if an entry piques your interest in some way. Then you can start there even if it is in the middle of the book.

That hold me inside
Bono (U2) - 1987

Do what you love and love will find you. - Me (21 June 09)

#329428 - 04/23/10 06:54 AM Re: Motivation or my lack thereof [Re: Alidade]
sono Offline
MaleSurvivor

Jason,

I can vividly relate to what you're talking about. My work requires continual non-stop study and it's never been harder than since beginning the recovery process. I can't say if that's part of your difficulty in getting motivated or not, but it's sure possible if you're intensely working on recovery issues.

So the hardest thing about studying is starting....beginning...opening that book or whatever it is, for the first time. Absolute torture!!!!!! lol no seriously, sitting down in the place where you know you can get some work done without distractions with the thing you've got to study in your hands is nigh unto impossible. But I find once I have made that step...actually gotten myself to the physical place, NOT necessarily the mental one, where I can study and open the book to the page with which I need to begin, then it begins to take care of itself.

Certain things like appointing specific times to do the work..."I"m going to start studying at 9:00am" or whatever can also be a big help. It becomes less of a "yeah, right, I need to go do that..." and turns into more of a "sorry can't talk to you too long, I've got to study at 9:00, but I"m free till then".
LIke so many things we talk about here, it's a matter of being smarter than your your own mind...tricking it into thinking the way you want it to.

Good luck Jason,

Kevin

#329593 - 04/24/10 11:53 AM Re: Motivation or my lack thereof [Re: sono]
onlyakid Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: New Jersey
Thanks guys, I'll try those

"and i don't want the world to see me, cause i don't think that they'd understand"

"You don't know what love is...you just do as your told"

"My life has changed. What you take as a simple thing, is not so simple for me anymore"

#329633 - 04/24/10 08:29 PM Re: Motivation or my lack thereof [Re: onlyakid]
pufferfish Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: USA
Jason, what the other guys said is good. I have a few things to add.

In my recent appointment with my T, I discussed embarrassing situations with people. They were embarrassing because I had some PTSD responses toward other guys. It made me want to recoil. It made me want to retreat from those kinds of situations. My T said that was pretty typical CSA behavior.

So what I want to ask you is, do you have any reactions to people that make you want to retreat into your shell? Are you having trouble with this? Is this what's keeping you from success in your classes? That was awefully blunt, but I only mean well.

Sorry if this is too abrupt.

Allen

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.