Newest Members
Stormchaser, johnnyc717, bluebook, Roscoe, SJC
12314 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
blueturtle (46), David C (40), DavidC (40), Derdlecar (61), Hector (54)
Who's Online
5 registered (Shyshark, focusedbody, GummyBear, 2 invisible), 19 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12314 Members
74 Forums
63366 Topics
443089 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#328494 - 04/15/10 01:35 PM Locked out of Chat by a modal dialog
Ever-fixed Mark Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: United States
I've reported this several times informally, but it's happening a lot so here's the official bug report:

Problem: Can't enter chat while a user who has ignored you is present.

Configuration:
Mac Powerbook Unibody 4gb
Mac OS X v10.6.3
Adobe Flash Player v10.0.45.2 (Latest Mac version)

Repro scenario:
1. Log into MS.org
2. Select "Chat" from top navigation
3. Get modal dialog warning that "Username" has ignored you with an "OK" button.
4. Attempt to dismiss dialog by selecting "OK" button using mouse or "Return" key.

Result: Modal dialog can not be dismissed and chat cannot be entered while the user who has ignored you is present in chat.
Severity: Priority 1- Feature doesn't work reliably.

Expected Result: Dialog can be dismissed and chat can be entered.

-efm

Everybody here's got a story to tell
Everybody's been through their own hell
There's nothing too special about getting hurt
Getting over it, that takes the work

- "Duck and Cover" by Glen Phillips

#328510 - 04/15/10 03:21 PM Re: Locked out of Chat by a modal dialog [Re: Ever-fixed Mark]
WalkingSouth Offline
MaleSurvivor

Mark, I'm going to forward this one to our hosting company and see what they have to say. Thanks for the complete bug de>

#328885 - 04/18/10 10:15 PM Re: Locked out of Chat by a modal dialog [Re: WalkingSouth]
usmc97 Offline

Loc: Colorado
Have the same kind of problem a lot, having it right now.

Maybe I have too many people mad and wanting to ignore me.

The statistics? 1 in 4, 1 in 6?
...then there's me the imaginary number

#329581 - 04/24/10 10:16 AM Re: Locked out of Chat by a modal dialog [Re: usmc97]
Castle Offline

Loc: NJ
I too have this issue, but have a sometimes work around.

If I click the x sometimes twice, before the OK, it can work itself out.

Specificaly If I log out of chat and then back in I can also get around it easier.

It is frustating though, as sometimes Im in PM or something and have this problem.

C

My posts can self destruct at any time..read them while you can.

#329585 - 04/24/10 10:44 AM Re: Locked out of Chat by a modal dialog [Re: Castle]
Ever-fixed Mark Offline
MaleSurvivor

It seems like it might be an application or dialog focus problem. Like the input doesn't get sent to the right place because the app focus is wrong. It's weird though, because the OK button depresses showing it *visually* got the click, it's just that the dialog remains.

-efm

#329588 - 04/24/10 11:33 AM Re: Locked out of Chat by a modal dialog [Re: Ever-fixed Mark]
WalkingSouth Offline
MaleSurvivor

I've been in contact with our web host regarding this problem. They believe it's a bug written into the chat module itself and the the only possible fix would be the purchase of the latest chat plugin but even then there's no guarantee the problem will go away unless the software writers have corrected the problem in a subsequent version of the module.

For the time being it looks like we're sorta stuck with it as it is. frown

#329600 - 04/24/10 01:05 PM Re: Locked out of Chat by a modal dialog [Re: WalkingSouth]
Ever-fixed Mark Offline
MaleSurvivor

As a software professional myself, I have to say that's a pretty lame answer.

I'm happy to go a few rounds with the developers on this bug. If someone can provide me with contact information and the details about the chat module versions and patches applied I'll take a swing at it when I get back from my trip.

-efm

#329645 - 04/25/10 01:36 AM Re: Locked out of Chat by a modal dialog [Re: Ever-fixed Mark]
westsidej Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Minnesota
That's strange. I've been able to enter chat w/ members who ignored me and ones I ignored as well.

Is this an apple vs. pc problem?

Are you using IE, Mozilla, Opera or Safari for a browser?

Jay

The hottest place in Hell is reserved for those who remain neutral in times of great moral conflict. Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.

#332224 - 05/26/10 10:44 PM Re: Locked out of Chat by a modal dialog [Re: westsidej]
Pete2004 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: North Carolina
I have the same problem and use IE. It is frustrating as there are 'dueling' ignore competitions raging.

Peter

comes back into our own. (Edwin Markham)

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.