Newest Members
wraphd, blufish, JPmc, rr433, pjmd
12435 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
mTm (55), Oz (28)
Who's Online
4 registered (wiresguy1, Still, JW1230, 1 invisible), 21 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12435 Members
74 Forums
63846 Topics
445809 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#324702 - 03/10/10 06:30 PM Absolutely fantastic ALL MS must see!!
lfp Offline

Hello,

I recently found this unbeliavable documentary in Youtube. A lot of things are explained here.

I highly recommend watching it.

Parts 1-9:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DP1ACIUHhp4

The Round Table, Mondays 7:30pm CST.

#324950 - 03/12/10 01:31 PM Re: Absolutely fantastic ALL MS must see!! [Re: lfp]
Ever-fixed Mark Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: United States
Thanks for that pointer, lfp.

I watched all 9 parts and it really was excellent in it's insights about how masculinity has been constructed in our societies. The concept of "Violent Masculinity" which is the current ideal is so limiting for all men and boys. This really points out how we're bombarded with messages telling us what we need to be - and that there is a much more open and human masculinity that we can all aspire to.

-efm

Everybody here's got a story to tell
Everybody's been through their own hell
There's nothing too special about getting hurt
Getting over it, that takes the work

- "Duck and Cover" by Glen Phillips

#325096 - 03/13/10 07:18 PM Re: Absolutely fantastic ALL MS must see!! [Re: Ever-fixed Mark]
lfp Offline

It is indeed excellent! I watch it over and over again, and the conclusion is that -i am suffering because of that... I am soo affected and hit by the whole masculinity thing in society. I find it hard to fit in..

The Round Table, Mondays 7:30pm CST.

#325866 - 03/21/10 11:00 PM Re: Absolutely fantastic ALL MS must see!! [Re: lfp]
Logan Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: NY
I just wanted to say that I also enjoyed this.

I found it to be very true and very helpful

Logan

-Blade Runner

#328275 - 04/13/10 08:41 PM Re: Absolutely fantastic ALL MS must see!! [Re: Ever-fixed Mark]
kidneythis Offline

I couldn't get past the first few minutes. I'm sorry but this isn't the new information it's being portayed as and thus is diluting the message. I was taught all the things those first few minutes allude to and it is how I have always lived.
My cross has been to deal with people who see my strength and out of their ignorance and learned cowardice put a label on me and don't bother to listen to anything I say or give me the bums rush or any other form of getting me away so they don't have to openly acknowledge that when they see strength they feel weak and project that weakness upon me as if it were me hiding it, not them.
That crap is all part of the you have to kiss some ass to get along idea of living that cowardly people who rather than faceing their own fears and dealing with them, have foisted upon our society the idea that strong men aren't "really" strong. It is out of this movement that the superfluous adjective has been inserted into our language, Further undermining the language and almost every part of society.

Anyone knows it isn't right to beat women, or children, etc... no decent person thinks so yet to watch this video you'd think it was the most common thing there is and that every man who seemed to be strong and assertive was a batterer. Everyone knows real men don't need to tell you they are tough, or kind or vulnerable, that much is clear.
Outside of my own abuseive family and the abuse I endured in county/state custody, I have rarely seen physical violence anywhere else except the streets and various juvies and jails I've been in. I know thousands suffer, but we are hundreds of millions in this nation. Yes those thousands deserve our help and the issue must be addressed and stopped but why do I have to meaken myself to suit those who are too fearful to face the world with me in it?

If it doesn't come accross directly I have been pidgeon holed into the abuseive category just because I am confrontational as if its wrong to be so. It is amazing how ignorant people can be, most people who claim to know me have never once spoken to me in conversation, some not at all. Yet they feel completely comfortable discussing me and my personality as if they have spent everyday for years with me.
How else does an honest person deal with something that is wrong except by confronting it? I think that is one of the things we are supposed to learn in recovery, to confront that which seems wrong to us so that we don't later feel guilty and lower our self esteem for allowing some perp or other kind of bad person to harm us or someone else.

Edited by kidneythis (04/13/10 09:13 PM)

#328381 - 04/14/10 03:07 PM Re: Absolutely fantastic ALL MS must see!! [Re: lfp]
caesar14 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Patterson, North Carolina
Thanks for sharing!

#328408 - 04/14/10 08:22 PM Re: Absolutely fantastic ALL MS must see!! [Re: caesar14]
kidneythis Offline

Yea I felt a bit off ceasar14, but the sentiment is still there and I still have to deal with cowards who think its ok to deny me my rights or any public service because they live a fearful life.

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.