Newest Members
mojo, James M, FredM88, Vermona, Jas52
12111 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
chrisH (34), Malaki619 (32), worcester2003 (51)
Who's Online
6 registered (Cam76, I Want 2 Thrive, TJ jeff, 3 invisible), 72 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12111 Members
73 Forums
62500 Topics
438059 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#327254 - 04/03/10 01:55 PM Boy Scout Abuse in Portland OR
pufferfish Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: USA
In a recent case, Boy Scouts were successfully sued by parties represnting a boy (now 37 years old) who was sexually abused in the scouts.

One of the man's attorneys, Clark, said: "Clark said the victim who filed the lawsuit was on that trip, and the trauma he suffered from the incident and the abuse by Dykes led to mental health problems, bad grades in school, drug use, anxiety, difficulty maintaining relationships and the loss of several jobs as an adult."

The Boy Scout organization was accused of sex abuse cover-up. Secret boy scout files were internally called the "perversion files. These ‘Perversion files’ have been kept secret by Boy Scouts of America due to ‘confidential information’.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/35944804/ns/us_news-crime_and_courts/

The report says: "The trial is significant because the files could offer a rare window into how the Boy Scouts have responded to sex abuse by Scout leaders. "

The "perp" admitted to having abused a whole bunch of boys (at least 17). He was the assistant Scoutmaster, Timur Dykes. He had 3 previous convictions (non civil) for sex abuse. He is presently out of prison on parole.

The scout leaders (president of scouting in Oregon) in defending their organization said that it is really difficult to filter all of the potential leaders.

The scout leader blamed it on parents who "let" the boys stay over with the "leader":

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/2010/04/...r_sex_abus.html

Patrick Boyle, an author of a book on sex abuse in the boy scouts says that the trial could erode what the boy scouts have been trying to do for a hundred years. The trial "can only erode what they have been doing for 100 years," he said.

http://www.oregonlive.com/news/index.ssf/2010/03/boy_scout_executive_details_pe.html

According to this source, the Boy Scouts of America would have trouble maintaining a good "image" if this stuff were to be made public. The perversion files are kept in a locked, fire-proof safe.

According to the following news story, the perversion files consist of 20,000 pages of material on abuse in the scouts. The files cover the period of time 1965 to 1985.

http://demo.cbslocal.com/national/boy.scouts.abuse.2.1607674.html

The following source states that the jury involved with the case under scrutiny here would be the first jury to "see" the files. A representative of the scouting organization says that they had 2,910 files on men who would not be fit to be scout leaders for various reasons.

http://www.katu.com/news/88775902.html

The report of these matters in Yahoo News states that the BSA had long fought to keep these documents suppressed:

http://sg.news.yahoo.com/ap/20100319/twl-us-boy-scouts-sex-abuse-ef375f8.html

According to the Seattle Times, the Boy Scout organization ignored obvious warning signs about impending trouble

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/localnews/2011392868_boyscouts20.html

Post made by Allen aka pufferfish whistle

#327319 - 04/04/10 07:51 AM Re: Boy Scout Abuse in Portland OR [Re: pufferfish]
ComicBookGuy Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: London, England
An excellent post.

The BSA have got one chance with this, and looking at how well suppression and victim-blaming has been working for the Catholic Church, had better release the lot, compensate the victims and have a South African-style Truth hearing (there won't be any reconciliation) so it's out in the open.

#327337 - 04/04/10 10:24 AM Re: Boy Scout Abuse in Portland OR [Re: ComicBookGuy]
kidneythis Offline

I hope they see that comicbookguy but I'm not going to hold my breath.

#327343 - 04/04/10 11:37 AM Re: Boy Scout Abuse in Portland OR [Re: kidneythis]
catfish86 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Ohio
It is truly sad when organizations set up to do good have some bad apples but instead of removing them, just move them to a different bushel and bury them. There is a lot of that.

And the Wisdom to know the difference.

#327381 - 04/04/10 07:12 PM Re: Boy Scout Abuse in Portland OR [Re: catfish86]
melliferal Offline
MaleSurvivor

Got to admit, I am a little torn on this. It's not nearly as straightforward as the Catholic priest business. As opposed to the Church, when an abuse allegation is reported to the Boy Scouts they actually remove the accused person, they don't just transfer him. And this will probably make me unpopular as far as this particular issue goes, but I think the scouting president has a point when he says the parents are responsible at least partially by letting their kids attend sleepovers at the scout leader's apartment. That's just spectacularly idiotic. There's no possible way any reasonable person could've thought a sleepover at some guy's apartment was a legitimate "scouting function" and I can't for the life of me imagine what their parents were thinking.

Oprah's resources for male survivors

#327399 - 04/04/10 10:28 PM Re: Boy Scout Abuse in Portland OR [Re: melliferal]
catfish86 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Ohio
Not that I think that gets the Boy Scouts off the hook for some lax management and oversight, but it does beg the question. Same goes for parents who let their kids sleep over with Michael Jackson. It is true. It makes me sick everytime I hear of these cases. The organizations sometimes do try to protect kids. I still remember being a soccer coach for my son's U11 team and looking up at a practice to find that I was the only adult with the kids on an isolated field with no other teams around. I lit into the parents when they arrived to pick up their kids. One stammered that the league does criminal background checks. I asked her if she ever heard of a first offense. It makes me want to cry for the kids.

Edited by catfish86 (04/04/10 11:00 PM)
And the Wisdom to know the difference.

#327404 - 04/04/10 11:17 PM Re: Boy Scout Abuse in Portland OR [Re: catfish86]
Trucker51 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Denver, CO
Back in the 1960s and 1970s, sleeping over at a Boy Scout leader's house would have still been considered pretty normal in much of America, just as going on an overnight or weekend camping trip would have been for a member of either the Cub Scouts or Boy Scouts. I went on several weekend camping trips when I was in the Cub Scouts in the late 1960s. I believe that one or more boys may have been abused on one of the later trips, when I was maybe 12, or about 1969-1970 in SE Michigan. There was obviously something odd going on in the tent where our Cub leader slept with a couple of our group. I might also like to know if the BSA records might include anything on the BSA Summer Camp that I attended in Michigan when I was 8 or 9. The camp was maybe 2 hours by bus north or northwest of Pontiac, MI, located on a lake, it was a pretty large camp, with boys of all ages up to high school age. I can say for certain that there was a whole bunch of impropriety going on there, it would have been probably the Summer of 1966. And then there were people from my parent's church that my parents implicitly trusted just because of their church attendance who ended-up being a whole lot less than trustworthy with people's kids too. Too bad the Boy Scouts don't have records on them too!!! These days on many weekend BSA camping trips at least some of the boy's dads will come along too, likely preventing quite a bit of the kind of abuse that was all too common years ago.

Certainly these days in much of America many parents are a little more cautious than they used to be when letting their kids stay overnight outside their own home. But I have a good friend who has kids aged 9 and 11 and they are always sleeping over at friend's houses too. Who knows what your 9 year old will run into at a friend's house, your 11 year old too. It pays to be cautious, but you can't possibly protect your kids from everything either. By the age of 8 I was riding my bike 1/2 mile from home and by age 10 I was riding up to a bowling alley a mile from home with only friends along, 5 miles southwest of downtown Pontiac, MI, in the late 1960s, we weren't too worried back then. These days, in that type of neighborhood, I doubt that a lot of parents will be letting their kids that age ride that far away unsupervised either. I would say that you are just asking for trouble if you do.

But that is just me and my experience,

Mark

Edited by Trucker51 (04/04/10 11:22 PM)
Edit Reason: fix typos, again

#328269 - 04/13/10 08:11 PM Re: Boy Scout Abuse in Portland OR [Re: pufferfish]
kidneythis Offline

They boy scouts lost today. 1.4 million to the plaintiff

http://www.oregonlive.com/portland/index.ssf/2010/04/jury_returns_verdict_in_boy_sc.html

Apparently this guy had already admitted to molesting 17 other boys prior to this and wasn't removed. That's according to tv news report.

Edited by kidneythis (04/13/10 08:15 PM)

#328305 - 04/14/10 01:23 AM Re: Boy Scout Abuse in Portland OR [Re: kidneythis]
Trucker51 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Denver, CO
You beat me to it, I guess, by 47 minutes!!! Great find, at 6:11 PM MDT I was still stuck in traffic. Attached to the MSN story are already 130 Newsvine comments, though about half of them I wouldn't recommend reading. Hard to believe that anyone would favor the Boy Scouts in this lawsuit, but there are a number of bloggers on Newsvine who are asking for the judgment to be set aside. Oh well, I guess you can't please everybody all of the time. There were a handful of posters who were pretty upset at the Boy Scouts over these incidents, a bunch of other incidents too. Hope that the plaintiff gets awarded triple punitive damages too!!!

Mark

#328355 - 04/14/10 11:54 AM Re: Boy Scout Abuse in Portland OR [Re: Trucker51]
kidneythis Offline

It came on the local news, we're just down the road so its been watched here. So I looked for the article figuring it had taken place earlier in the day as I don't usually read any Oregon papers. It was even on the network news.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Chase Eric, ModTeam 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.