Newest Members
kk90, Austintexan, Cancan, LS, PaulnMA
12256 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
ByondClosedDoors (41), Dave1425 (32), DeafDavid (23), LowSky (57)
Who's Online
3 registered (Doubter, don64, Obi), 57 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12256 Members
73 Forums
63119 Topics
441402 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#327865 - 04/09/10 07:29 PM Timothy White, the boy Steven Staynor saved, dies
kidneythis Offline

http://www.latimes.com/news/obituaries/me-timothy-white10-2010apr10,0,2434239.story

#327867 - 04/09/10 07:41 PM Re: Timothy White, the boy Steven Staynor saved, dies [Re: kidneythis]
pufferfish Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By: kidneythis
http://www.latimes.com/news/obituaries/me-timothy-white10-2010apr10,0,2434239.story

The story about Timothy White was never given much publicity after the resolution of the kidnapping. I wondered however what happened to him. Does anybody know if he ever visited the Male Survivor site?

The publicity about the kidnapping of Steven Staynor and the TV movie produced about it were among the first events which authenticated my own experience. This publicity came fairly soon on the heels of the loss of my own amnesia toward my experience. I had repressed knowledge of my own kidnapping experience. When the Stevie Staynor and Timmy White were found it was very meaningful to me. I acquired a copy of the TV movie. I recommend the movie to those who are interested in the theme of child abduction. It is probably a "classic" in themes of child abuse.

Steven had been lied to, that his parents no longer wanted him, and that he was to stay with his abductor. He had been convinced that his name was changed. So when the police finally found him he made the statement: "I know my name is Steven". That became the title of the movie.

Steven Staynor got married and I believe had one or more children (I'm not absolutely sure). I talked on the phone with a guy who was providing some counseling for him. Steven acquired a love for motor biking. He died as he hit at high speed a panel truck emerging from an entrance to the highway.

Thank you kidneythis for this news item.

Allen

pufferfish

Edited by pufferfish (04/09/10 10:11 PM)
Edit Reason: improved content and syntax

#327868 - 04/09/10 07:41 PM Re: Timothy White, the boy Steven Staynor saved, dies [Re: kidneythis]
pluckmemory Offline

Terribly sad. That is just way too young to die. Wonder what his adult life was like, and how the kidnapping affected him.

#327874 - 04/09/10 08:38 PM Re: Timothy White, the boy Steven Staynor saved, dies [Re: pluckmemory]
Elad 12 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: on the coast
The whole Steven Staynor saga took place around where I live. He actually was living with Parnell and went to school in Fort Bragg (same town that Aaron Vargas was molested and shot his perp in) The day that Timmy White was kidnapped in Ukiah I was working at a residential treatment home for emotionally disturbed kids there. I remember that day well because it happened not far from the place I worked.

#327938 - 04/10/10 12:52 PM Re: Timothy White, the boy Steven Staynor saved, dies [Re: pluckmemory]
pufferfish Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By: pluckmemory
Terribly sad. That is just way too young to die. Wonder what his adult life was like, and how the kidnapping affected him.

Yes, it is sad. As I said, I don't know much about Timmie White. Since he was only 5, he probably developed DID/MPD as a result of only that short kidnapping experience. What causes a pulmonary embolism, anyway?

His (Staynor's) whole family was terribly affected in a negative way. In the movie, I Know My Name Is Steven, when Steven is returned to his home by the police, there are some bad examples of what to say to a kid under those circumstances. We can learn from that too. The whole thing shows how extremely cruel the kidnap was.

The movie is listed in Amazon dot com.

http://www.amazon.com/Know-First-Name-St...8240&sr=1-1

Allen

#327941 - 04/10/10 01:06 PM Re: Timothy White, the boy Steven Staynor saved, dies [Re: pufferfish]
kidneythis Offline

Allen,
Pulmonary embolism is a blood clot in the lung. The clot generally develops somewhere else and migrates in the blood stream when it hits the lungs it prevents oxygen exchange.
I assume this means it blocks the main artery bringing blood to the lungs or the one letting it out as a partial blockage of the aveoli wouldn't kill a person.
thats my general understanding of it, I'm very sure it is a lot more complicated than that.
He must have been pretty normal. I thonk the movie shows Steven saving him before any sexual abuse occured. He was a LA County Deputy Sheriff for his carreer and they do psych testing.

Edited by kidneythis (04/10/10 01:10 PM)

#327948 - 04/10/10 01:37 PM Re: Timothy White, the boy Steven Staynor saved, dies [Re: pufferfish]
melliferal Offline
MaleSurvivor

Originally Posted By: pufferfish
I recommend the movie to those who are interested in the theme of child abduction. It is probably a "classic" in themes of child abuse.

I share a recommendation for the movie. However - a caution. The movie was based on a book with the same title - "I Know My First Name Is Steven". I forget who wrote it, but nevertheless: I do NOT recommend reading the book. In fact, I recommend very much against it. I bought it from a bookstore a number of years back; I ended up actually throwing it in a garbage can only a few hours later. I found the book very graphic in its (many) de>

Edited by melliferal (04/10/10 01:37 PM)

Oprah's resources for male survivors

#328038 - 04/11/10 04:57 PM Re: Timothy White, the boy Steven Staynor saved, dies [Re: melliferal]
ComicBookGuy Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: London, England
Depends which edition you had; I bought the old one right after the movie was shown by the BBC, but I know that Mike Echols updated the book against the wishes of the family to include Steven's serial killer brother later on, maybe 5-10 years later.

Ironically, Mike Echols also died of the same thing;

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mike_Echols

and I knew he'd been arrested for something; the accusation was indecent exposure, but given the shit he took for trying to out paedophiles, I'd say the Stayner case has pretty much victimised anyone it touched with the parents left behind as the only witnesses.

If he's guilty of anything, it was interviewing the offender as well as everyone else in the case when writing the Stayner book; Echols seemed to still have his "balance" hat on about Parnell even though he had no problem demonising every other paedophile he wrote about in the annex chapters. They had been more severely punished than Parnell, all the way up to execution.

I agree with the earlier post; given how bad the movie could have been, it's right up there with the two Boys of St Vincent movies for how the subject matter was handled.

Edited by ComicBookGuy (04/11/10 05:01 PM)

Moderator:  Chase Eric, ModTeam 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.