Newest Members
dspwilson, Won'tGiveUp, sillyputty, Pytbull, manipulated
12384 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Alan Fountain (52), blindpet (31), egoror (49), Midas (33), uwa (78)
Who's Online
4 registered (kcinohio, 3 invisible), 28 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12384 Members
74 Forums
63653 Topics
444536 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#328021 - 04/11/10 01:00 PM I am..
BuryingJack Offline
MaleSurvivor

I am a dog fight. I am a kid on the end of a diving board for the first time. I am a clenched fist. I am lying in a jungle with my hands around a machine gun. I am anger. I am a deep breath after skidding to a stop on the highway. I am tapping on a wall in Morse code. I am turning away from the mirror in disgust and then looking back. I am a hike through the snow with no shoes. I am quivering hands dialing a doctor for help. I am deciding it’s too dangerous to fly today. I am the warm sun on a man’s face after spitting out the cold metal taste of a pistol. I am dissociation. I am putting on a smile so nobody gets upset. I am the words “watch out”. I am hate for a memory. I am one-one thousand, two-one thousand, three-one thousand, breathe. I am the first thing in my head this morning and the last thing out tonight. I am survival. www.buryingjack.com

#328023 - 04/11/10 02:53 PM Re: I am.. [Re: BuryingJack]
Trucker51 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Denver, CO
Someone else who likes Mic Hunter's book, eh? Mic was my 4th therapist 12 years ago. I just saw him again at the MS conference in NYC back in March. Other books that you might consider are Mike Lew's book VICTIMS NO LONGER, which is a very in-depth recovery book, and our own site therapist Ken Singer's new book, EVICTING THE PERPETRATOR, which I reviewed in the most recent edition of our MS newsletter. Both of these books are available from our own online bookstore off of our homepage along with dozens more. John Bradshaw's book HEALING THE SHAME THAT BINDS YOU is a great book for dealing with your negative shame, and his book HOMECOMING is an inner-child recovery text. In my own recovery I have found Matthew McKay's book SELF ESTEEM to be a great and very helpful book too.

Glad that you have begun your recovery journey and that you have a good support network and the support of your wife. Here at MS we offer our Weekends of Recovery program, there is one coming up in mid-May in Georgia, another later in the Summer in southern Ohio too. These weekends are residential weekends where a group of 24 guys receive intensive therapy from some of the most knowledgeable therapists in the recovery business. Mike Lew also runs his own recovery weekends, he has one coming-up this Summer in eastern Pennsylvania too.

Anyhow, good luck in your search for the freedom that we were all born to deserve. Recovery is possible, working together is the easiest way. Keep coming back, hope to hear from you again soon.

Mark

#328026 - 04/11/10 03:09 PM Re: I am.. [Re: Trucker51]
BuryingJack Offline
MaleSurvivor

Mark - thanks for the great list of resources. ABUSED BOYS has really been the only book I've been focusing on so I'm glad you've added more to my bookshelf. If you don't mind, I'll add your recommendations to my blog here soon. The Weekends of Recovery sound interesting. I'll read up on it. Thanks again. Chris

#328028 - 04/11/10 03:25 PM Re: I am.. [Re: BuryingJack]
Trucker51 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Denver, CO
No problem, you can add any of these books to your blog. Mic Hunter personally thanked me for continuing to plug his old book at the MS conference back in March. I attended Mike Lew's 1-day recovery workshop at the conference too, I would recommend his books and his intensive recovery weekends too. Here is a link to Mike Lew's organization, as well as an organization in England that I have also met the director of which contains some helpful info on their site too.

http://www.nextstepcounseling.org/

http://www.amsosa.com

Mark

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.