Newest Members
Robert Barrett, lostsoul824, beatcook, MassGuy, wiresguy1
12278 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
carter (51), CAW1980 (34), Fissy Tsickens (53), Kris (52), Wheatthins (23)
Who's Online
1 registered (bluesky), 28 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12278 Members
73 Forums
63172 Topics
441743 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#327828 - 04/09/10 09:47 AM Does 'befriending' sex offenders stop new crimes?
JustScott Offline
Greeter Emeritus
MaleSurvivor

#327872 - 04/09/10 08:22 PM Re: Does 'befriending' sex offenders stop new crimes? [Re: JustScott]
ComicBookGuy Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: London, England
I'm perfectly open to trying ideas from other countries, but more saddened that the BBC has decided to focus on the offender in American Child Abuse Awareness month for the second year running.

Hopefully that will not carry over into the TV coverage as it did in 2009.

#327890 - 04/09/10 10:32 PM Re: Does 'befriending' sex offenders stop new crimes? [Re: JustScott]
pufferfish Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By: JustScott

Befriend 'em and castrate 'em.

I don't say this out of blind hatred. I have read the book: Conversations With a Pedophile. In that book the pedophile, who was highly intelligent, stated that he could NOT be trusted if he were turned loose in society. He offered to be chemically or surgically castrated but the laws of the state in which he was incarcerated wouldn't allow it. He had methodically molested over 1000 boys according to his own claim.

Allen

#327893 - 04/10/10 12:51 AM Re: Does 'befriending' sex offenders stop new crimes? [Re: ComicBookGuy]
jls Offline

For me it depends on how we focus on the offender. If we're focusing on strategies that work for reducing re-offending I'm all for it since this goes to the core of diminishing instances of child abuse. However, one of the pitfalls for sexual offenders, especially child sex offenders, is allowing perps to minimize their responsibility for their offence(s) by blaming it on their own childhood experiences. That said, I am well aware of the ideals behind circles of accountability for sex offenders, which I support. To be clear it is not a cure for aberrant sexual behaviour. Rather, it allows offenders to be honest with themselves in a safe venue where being able to talk about their offences and the reasons behind them works to diminish thoughts of acting on them again. The flip side is ostracizing and marginalizing sex offenders to the point that they are driven undergound where they act from an isolated and shame-based place. Please don't misunderstand that I feel sex offenders don't deserve the punishment they receive for what they did. Instead, the key word is accountability so after they have served their time they should still be required to make an effort to change their behaviour in a pro-active way on behalf of society.

#327937 - 04/10/10 12:22 PM Re: Does 'befriending' sex offenders stop new crimes? [Re: jls]
pufferfish Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: USA
Good points, jls

I guess that since there are many different psychological makeups in offenders, there needs to be a diversity of approaches in how to handle them. Our legal system is a thousand miles from this, unfortunately.

Allen

#327943 - 04/10/10 01:12 PM Re: Does 'befriending' sex offenders stop new crimes? [Re: JustScott]
kidneythis Offline

NO.

Edited by kidneythis (04/10/10 01:21 PM)

#327952 - 04/10/10 01:58 PM Re: Does 'befriending' sex offenders stop new crimes? [Re: kidneythis]
Ken Singer, LCSW Offline
Moderator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Lambertville, NJ USA
Just to clarify a few points:

"Pedophilia" is a clinical term that is reserved for individuals who have a strong desire to be sexual with pre-pubescent children and/or have acted on these feelings. That would exclude the "pedophile priest" and others who molest young teens, as well as the sexual offenders who get into "consensual" relationships with under age teens.

The "one size fits all" approach based on dealing with the "worst of the worst" dilutes the efforts to treat those of lesser threat.

Universal banishment or incarceration of those who are treatable (and the vast majority of sexual offenders do not go on to abuse others, particularly after sex offense-specific treatment) wastes resources that could be used for prevention purposes and supervision of those who are more dangerous and at risk to reoffend.

Remember, the vast majority of those committing sexually abusive acts have not been previously caught. Some of them will abuse many while others stop at one victim. Never identified, they don't become part of the group who are labeled and probably stigmatized by society.

The Circles of Support and Accountability appear from the research to be a useful tool to prevent further abuse. The temptation to harrass and make life as miserable as possible for those who have been convicted of these offenses does nothing to reduce recidivism and in fact, makes recidivism more likely.

Often, the Circles are church based and can mobilize a team of people willing to work with these individuals and help them get re-established in the community instead of driving them off without any supervision or accountability.

While, on an emotional basis, many will want these people to be punished beyond what the judicial system does to them, eventually they will be out in the commmunity. They can be supervised and helped to rehabilitate or they can be harrassed and made to feel hopeless. Offending, for many, comes out of a sense of hopelessness. No need to deliberately inflict this if your goal is prevention rather than revenge.

Remember that the lack of understanding of victimization by some-- i.e., a victim is going to abuse others (Vampire Syndrome), is based on ignorance of the issue. Belief that all or most offenders will abuse many children or that all sexual offenses involving children is true pedophilia is off the mark as well.

This is a complex issue and the more one learns about it, the more accurate your understanding will be.

Edited by Ken Singer, LCSW (04/10/10 01:59 PM)

#327954 - 04/10/10 02:38 PM Re: Does 'befriending' sex offenders stop new crimes? [Re: Ken Singer, LCSW]
catfish86 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Ohio
Correct me if I am wrong Ken, but isn't one of the biggest factors an inability to empathize with the pain or emotions of others, especially their victims.

BTW< I am reading your book and it is very informative and empowering, thank you for writing it.

I think this type of program is right on. For some reason, a sex offender has broken or rationalized through the social taboos against sexual offenses (ie sex without consent, with a child, with relatives, etc.). This is based simply on imposing those social taboos through a group of confidants who also remove the isolation that may drive a need to exercise power by abusing others.

And the Wisdom to know the difference.

#327958 - 04/10/10 02:53 PM Re: Does 'befriending' sex offenders stop new crimes? [Re: Ken Singer, LCSW]
melliferal Offline
MaleSurvivor

Originally Posted By: Ken Singer, LCSW
Just to clarify a few points:

"Pedophilia" is a clinical term that is reserved for individuals who have a strong desire to be sexual with pre-pubescent children and/or have acted on these feelings. That would exclude the "pedophile priest" and others who molest young teens, as well as the sexual offenders who get into "consensual" relationships with under age teens.

The "one size fits all" approach based on dealing with the "worst of the worst" dilutes the efforts to treat those of lesser threat.

I think I have to argue this point, Ken; I don't think the distinction is so important in many cases. Puberty is a process with gradual effects that happen over the course of years. It isn't a switch - it's not something where one day a kid is definitively pre-pubescent and the next day he's quite obviously mature. Or, let me qualify that - perhaps a blood test can mark the very moment puberty begins.

The eye cannot. I would offer that for at least the entire first year of puberty, maybe even somewhat longer, its physical characteristics are such that they can't be seen, heard, or otherwise noticed in a child who's wearing clothes. While many of the victims of "pedophile priests", for example, may be pubescent after all, their ages are such that I would submit their abusers could not have known that until the moment they got the victims undressed; and it's quite obvious that by then, the abuser had already made the decision to abuse, and the victim's having or not having started puberty did not have any bearing on that decision - unless it's that the abuser initially figured the child for pre-pubescent, and in such a case the perp shouldn't be treated differently just because he happened to be wrong. Nor is the distinction pertinent in cases where the abuse begins when the child is pre-pubescent and continues throughout his teenage years.

Oprah's resources for male survivors

#327973 - 04/10/10 06:45 PM Re: Does 'befriending' sex offenders stop new crimes? [Re: melliferal]
Obi Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: kansas
what if you were friends with an offender before you found out and decided to remaind friends after?

my story

my vlog

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Chase Eric, ModTeam 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.