Newest Members
JayNL, Robert Barrett, lostsoul824, beatcook, MassGuy
12279 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
cainrafael (28), GL (67), JohnP725 (66), Lloydy (61), Marie-TwoOfUs (35)
Who's Online
2 registered (2 invisible), 24 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12279 Members
73 Forums
63185 Topics
441815 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#327970 - 04/10/10 06:25 PM Re: Woman Pope would mean Less Abuse? [Re: learning2remember]
kidneythis Offline

L2R no she didn't. the NYT has a screening process where someone looks at the email which is in a form not a true email, and I suspect the intended recipient rarely sees what is sent them. If it passes muster it is sent onward.
That is what I understand to be the process.

#328130 - 04/12/10 07:27 PM Re: Woman Pope would mean Less Abuse? [Re: learning2remember]
jls Offline

I tend to disagree with you that more women in power in the Catholic Church wouldn't change things. Yes women abuse, that is not in doubt, but I think the greater issue is that an all male power structure like the one that exists in the church lends to other voices being ignored, namely those of women and children, and we know what being ignored or marginalized leads to with respect to the most vulnerable. One other thing to think about is why are all the victims in these recuring sex offences boys? Very rarely do you hear about a priest sexually abusing a girl. Again, I think part of this comes down to an all male power hierarchy, starting with the Pope right down to alter boys. If things were more equal with respect to the role of men and women in the church the outcome might be different with concern to respect for children as a whole.

#328169 - 04/13/10 06:41 AM Re: Woman Pope would mean Less Abuse? [Re: jls]
learning2remember Offline

Loc: Europe
I think a Roman Catholic Church that treated men and women equally would be a different church, and could very well be one which abuse was dealt with more appropriately.

I strongly resist any suggestion, though, that the greater involvement of women would in and of itself be a solution or even part of the solution.

Yes, there are accounts of girls being molested by priests, and of nuns abusing both boys and girls.

Gender plays a role in abuse, but abuse is not about gender just as it is not acually about sex. It is about power, which is, of course, related to hierarchy, whether it is a male hiearchy, a female hierarchy or in integrated one.

#328179 - 04/13/10 07:57 AM Re: Woman Pope would mean Less Abuse? [Re: learning2remember]
kidneythis Offline

Divide and conquer right? Sex roles automatically gets the populace divided and looking away from the pulpit.
Still the sanctity of womanhood is a load of crap.

Anyway CBS news added a caveat to the churches new edict, "if"
That is "report all abuse IF it is legallly required". I'm sorry but who decides if? Its another loophole if you ask me.

#328247 - 04/13/10 05:40 PM Re: Woman Pope would mean Less Abuse? [Re: kidneythis]
jls Offline

I don't beleive in the sanctity of womanhood either. However, I think L2R is right when he said this is a matter of equality and that sex roles or gender shouldn't matter when compared to the church's hierarchy. It is an ancient institution that has roots in obtaining and maintaining power dating back to the Roman empire, often at the expense of women and children, or anyone else doomed to be a slave, so why are we surprised now? I would be if the church made an effort to change along the way but in so many hundreds of years there's been very little.

#328797 - 04/18/10 09:59 AM Re: Woman Pope would mean Less Abuse? [Re: learning2remember]
kidneythis Offline

This seems the tight place to put this.

I just remembered that I had written a letter to mother superior at my aunts convent. This is the aunt who abused my right hand because I wouldn't reject my father and wanted to be like him. She also had a hand in other stuff.
Anyway the response I got? We'll pray for you. !!!
I didn't realy expect that they would try to get her to confess to what she did to me on her own and in cahoots with her mother and other sisters, they hated my mother for marrying Italian, but a dismissal like that still struck home as an insult.

I thought that would fit here as an example of roman catholic womanhood. I've not known many nice nuns. There were a couple at the catholic school I went to for a couple years when I got sent home to my family who would polay in the snow with us then bring us into the convent to have hot chocolate. That only happened twice before some other nun stopped it.

I don't think a nope would be any different, they all have twisted minds thinking of themselves as the saviors of mankind.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Chase Eric, ModTeam 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.