Newest Members
Lumpy, squeekinby, rhyoung, Jefferson22, OxfordArms
12369 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
drivejoepublic (44), eagle299 (43), H18 (21), JJJ (43), mariposaman (63), SevenTwoTwo76 (39), TexAgMan (37), waiter (44), wgwarch (55)
Who's Online
1 registered (1 invisible), 17 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12369 Members
74 Forums
63584 Topics
444221 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#327809 - 04/09/10 03:32 AM Woman Pope would mean Less Abuse?
learning2remember Offline

Loc: Europe

#327810 - 04/09/10 04:47 AM Re: Woman Pope would mean Less Abuse? [Re: learning2remember]
Sans Logos Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: in my own world in pittsburgh,...
learning,

i thought it was an interesting spin, but am curious as to what about it that particularly causes you to characterize it as offensive?

regards,

ron

#327829 - 04/09/10 10:00 AM Re: Woman Pope would mean Less Abuse? [Re: Sans Logos]

I think she is saying that if women had equal status in the Church, the abuse would not have occurred or it would have been handled more appropriately.

A subtle propagation of the myth, "Women don't abuse."

#327833 - 04/09/10 10:32 AM Re: Woman Pope would mean Less Abuse? [Re: learning2remember]
melliferal Offline
MaleSurvivor

Originally Posted By: learning2remember
I think she is saying that if women had equal status in the Church, the abuse would not have occurred or it would have been handled more appropriately.

A subtle propagation of the myth, "Women don't abuse."

Wow, good catch! I agree.

There may be other reasons to argue for equal status of women in an organization; but "because there would be less child abuse" surely can't be one of them.

Oprah's resources for male survivors

#327839 - 04/09/10 12:21 PM Re: Woman Pope would mean Less Abuse? [Re: melliferal]
JustScott Offline
Greeter Emeritus
MaleSurvivor

Just talk to anyone who was abused by a female and get their opinion..... (Personally, as a victim of a female, I feel the writer of the article is naive. I'd say stupid too, but that would just be mean).

Such a statement is both ignorant and sexist. Flip that kind of statement around, suggesting something would be better if a man.... and there would be so much public outcry it would be crazy!

#327842 - 04/09/10 12:42 PM Re: Woman Pope would mean Less Abuse? [Re: JustScott]
Sans Logos Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: in my own world in pittsburgh,...
sorry guys i missed that one by a mile. when i read the article my mind immediately doted on the mythical female pope joan and i missed the obvious. true, the statements are incredibly insensitive.

man are we ever seeing the world differently than most, ie, as it really is?!

sometimes it is excruciatingly painful, being a survivor and realizing this stuff and how the world reinforces it. woe is us!

warm regards,

ron

#327888 - 04/09/10 10:23 PM Re: Woman Pope would mean Less Abuse? [Re: Sans Logos]
pufferfish Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: USA
I don't think so!! frown

When women do abuse they are more vicious than men who abuse! Is that true? It is not capable of proof.

Anyway, what would you call her? Not "Nope", that doesn't have any class. How about "Popess", or "Popette". No those wouldn't do either! Those names would be easily corrupted by the riffraff.

Allen

#327949 - 04/10/10 01:40 PM Re: Woman Pope would mean Less Abuse? [Re: pufferfish]
melliferal Offline
MaleSurvivor

Just "Pope", I think. I imagine such a woman would be called "The Holy Mother" rather than "The Holy Father", though - which may cause some confusion, as Mary (to my knowledge) is already known as "The Holy Mother". Hmm, I don't know - it would be weird for a while I suppose.

Oprah's resources for male survivors

#327951 - 04/10/10 01:52 PM Re: Woman Pope would mean Less Abuse? [Re: melliferal]
kidneythis Offline

You have to remember her schtick is to be coy and cute while showing off her nimble mind with her articles. She is bright but she plays her writing for the laugh more than the stern. I am not defending her I sent her an email chastising her.

#327966 - 04/10/10 04:46 PM Re: Woman Pope would mean Less Abuse? [Re: kidneythis]

I can tell you are not defending her. I agree that part of the problem is the genre. Just as comedians should be funny, columnists need to be snappy, catchy, and provocative.

But that also means that they need to be careful what they suggest, unless they are willing to back it up or at least own up to what they are suggesting.

Did she respond to your e-mail?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Chase Eric, ModTeam 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.