Newest Members
JimHouston42, GKB, MorganWut, myrlin, AaronS
12466 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
BobbyJay (53), john50049 (57), Samii (34)
Who's Online
1 registered (1 invisible), 28 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12466 Members
74 Forums
64013 Topics
446750 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#327570 - 04/06/10 08:30 PM Re: Graham James Pardoned in Canada [Re: pluckmemory]
Charlie24 Offline

Originally Posted By: pluckmemory
Charlie24: If you read the Canadian newspapers this week, you will discover that the Canadian Parole Board has routinely pardoned thousands of pedophiles over the years. It has nothing to do with having any connections. A spokesperson from the Parole Board says that they "don't consider the crime" when giving out pardons. The pardons are given out to help the ex-cons get jobs. The few people who don't get pardons seem to be murderers.

Very messed up system they have up there.

pluckmemory,

thank you for clarifying this for me and helping me to understand your parole board in Canada. Really messed up if you ask me. Thanks for sharing this with us and bringing this to site, we need to shine light on shit so that people are made aware. Thank you.

Charlie.

#327571 - 04/06/10 08:51 PM Re: Graham James Pardoned in Canada [Re: Charlie24]
pluckmemory Offline

You're welcome. Only it's not my parole board. I live in the US. Does anyone know if the US has anything remotely similar to this when it comes to pardoning pedophiles?

Edited by pluckmemory (04/06/10 08:51 PM)

#327573 - 04/06/10 08:56 PM Re: Graham James Pardoned in Canada [Re: pluckmemory]
pluckmemory Offline

Now there's a growing concern in Canada that Graham James may have legally changed his name, according to the Winnipeg Free Press.

Excerpt:

OTTAWA - Ex-convicts, including sex offenders such as former junior hockey coach Graham James, can avoid having their criminal history checked by legally changing their name.

Name changes in Canada are done at the provincial level, and only two provinces, British Columbia and Alberta, currently demand fingerprints when someone applies.

"Absolutely it's a concern," Supt. Chuck Walker, the director of field services for the Mounties' national criminal database, said Tuesday in an interview.

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/canada/...s-90043987.html

Edited by pluckmemory (04/06/10 08:56 PM)

#327634 - 04/07/10 12:57 PM Re: Graham James Pardoned in Canada [Re: pluckmemory]
Geeders Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Peterborough, Ontario, Canada
A letter to my Member of Parliament sent earlier today...

April 7, 2010

Dear **** M.P.
****, Ontario

Dear Sir: Re: Graham James Pardon

Yesterday, I became aware that my wife contacted your office to express her shock, and disappointment that a man such as the above mentioned, Graham James, could receive a “Pardon” for his crimes. In so doing, she disclosed to you, with my full support and agreement, my status as a male sexual assault survivor.

Not unlike the high profile cases of Sheldon Kennedy, and Theo Fleury, I too have gone through hell to get to the point where I can even write this letter. If you had asked me three years ago if I would be writing this letter, divulging my status to a stranger, let alone anyone else, the answer would have been an unequivocal “no!” My wife, two sons and I are working very, very hard to try and overcome the damage that was done to me, and as a result, to them also. Sexual assault and sexual abuse is like a cancerous web. It’s connected, perhaps circuitously, to everything. And over the years of secrecy, shame, and guilt inflicted upon us as male victims, it grows and grows in size. In examining my life, its frequently hard to see any aspect of it that hasn’t in some way, shape or form been affected, tainted or otherwise influenced by what happened to me at the hands of a paedophile now 40 years ago.

I’m sure you are inundated right now with letters, and emails, all voicing their outrage at the “Pardon” received by Graham James. Please add my name to the list. I realize that you can do little about it now though. The horse is out of the barn so to speak. But, now that the horse is out of the barn, I need to ask you how you think the men who have been affected by Graham James, the named and the un-named, must be feeling? As a male survivor myself, I think I am qualified to suggest how they are feeling.

Right now, they are probably wondering just what in blazes has happened. Wondering why, having laid charges, gone to court, been forced to recount the most horrific abuses in painful detail, in public, acknowledging their vulnerability as men, this has all gone to hell in a hand-basket. For now it would appear that the man who committed these crimes is once again, not only free to roam this country, possibly looking for his next victim, he can now travel more easily and change his name to stay hidden from public scrutiny. Not only within Canada, but to countries that don’t know about him, or have fewer safeguards with which to keep their children safe. They are wondering why they went through all of the pain they have experienced in starting their healing, and exercising their legal options if, in the end, it does not effect some real change.

I would suggest further that these courageous men are probably feeling like they are being victimized again. That like when they were boys, they are powerless, and unable to stop what for survivors, seems like perpetual re-victimization. Once again, their sexual histories are broadcast across the nation, not as survivors, but as victims of a system that couldn’t even consult them prior to a decision being made about whether the accused and convicted man in this case deserved a “Pardon”.

Health Canada suggests that 1 in 6 males in this country will be sexually abused or assaulted by the time they are 18. 16 % of the male population. Assuming for the sake of argument that ******* has 75,000 people, half being male, that’s approximately 6,000 males in our community who have been sexually victimized. 6,000 men. And where do they go for assistance and help when they decide to retake control of their lives, and stop being victims? If your best male friend came to you and said that he was sexually abused, would you know where to send him for help? We are most fortunate that in ********, the ******* Sexual Assault Centre does provide services to men. Sadly, some sexual assault centres do not, for men are seen primarily as perpetrators. For many in this country still subscribe to the myth “if men cannot be victims, how can victims be men?”

What I am asking you to examine when reviewing the issue of Graham James, is not only the injustice being inflicted upon the victims of Graham James in the granting of the “Pardon” but also the plight of male sexual assault and abuse survivors in general across this country. As my wife pointed out in her letter, the effects of sexual abuse and assault on males affect not only those immediately involved, but also others who are emotionally attached to the survivor. Wives, sons, daughters, parents, grandparents, lovers. The list is endless.

Clearly, the system we have right now needs to be fixed so that in administering justice, the people most affected by crime, are not in fact re-victimized.

Should you wish any further information, please do not hesitate to contact me. I would be most willing to sit down with you face to face, to address this issue at greater length. Thank you for your time in this matter.

Sincerely,

Jim ****** B.S.W. R.S.W
Social Worker
Male Sexual Abuse Survivor
Volunteer Website Moderator www.malesurvivor.org

#327646 - 04/07/10 03:56 PM Re: Graham James Pardoned in Canada [Re: Geeders]
Trucker51 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Denver, CO
Strong words there Jim, hope that your words and feelings can make a difference. Who knows, maybe pretty soon they will have you on the speaking circuit???

It is great seeing all of the progress that you have made,

Mark

#327647 - 04/07/10 04:07 PM Re: Graham James Pardoned in Canada [Re: Trucker51]
sono Offline
MaleSurvivor

Jim,

talk about come get your standing ovation!!!!!!!! May we all have a fraction of your strength both of character and heart. Man I'm I proud to know you all over again.

Kevin

#327657 - 04/07/10 05:47 PM Re: Graham James Pardoned in Canada [Re: sono]
pluckmemory Offline

What is up with Canadian newspaper columnists?This writer for the Ottawa Citizen on the James pardon just doesn't get it. First he cherry picks some study that says that most pedophiles don't reoffend. Then he turns the Graham pardon into an anti American attack. Finally he gets all warm and fuzzy on predators and expresses concern for their rights.

My great-grandfather once owned this paper, and he must be turning over in his grave at this disturbing piece.

http://www.ottawacitizen.com/opinion/Harper+plays+people+worst+instincts/2771060/story.html

Edited by pluckmemory (04/07/10 05:49 PM)

#327749 - 04/08/10 05:26 PM Re: Graham James Pardoned in Canada [Re: pluckmemory]
Charlie24 Offline

Pluck my apologies again on my part for assuming you were Canadian. Thanks for sharing this and I sure hope we don't have this shit in America.

I have one thing to say on this whole mess;

Actions have consequences.

Charlie.

#327769 - 04/08/10 08:06 PM Re: Graham James Pardoned in Canada [Re: Charlie24]
Geeders Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Peterborough, Ontario, Canada
Mark: Thank your for your support, and your kind words. I will NEVER forget how welcome you made me feel here in my first days as a registered memeber here at MS. I was scared to death, paranoid, frightened as hell. Your reaching out helped me get to where I am today. Bend down a bit so I can give ya a hug will ya! laugh

(((Mark)))

Kevin: Thank you too for your kind words. I am very glad to have come to know you too. And you have a lot to be proud of too confonting your abuser. Well bloody done!

(((Kevin)))

pluckmemory: Thank you so much for posting the press information. Its important that people know what is happening here in Canada. Be assured that your efforts have been used to further the cause!

Charlie: Its not usually this tough being Canadian. But if stuff like this is happening here, it might be wise to check in your country as well. We simply didn't know this until Sunday night/Monday morning this week. And its damned disgusting!

Jim

#327773 - 04/08/10 08:23 PM Re: Graham James Pardoned in Canada [Re: Geeders]
Charlie24 Offline

Hey Jim I hope its not too late but I wanted to thank you for writing a letter. Way to take action. Not trying to attack you or your country. I realize all countries have problems. Nobody is perfect, including the individual writing this as well.

I just wanted to jump in a give you a hug.

(((((((((((Jim))))))))))

Charlie.

P.S. I miss your dancing Tigger. But I like the baby pic too.

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  Chase Eric, ModTeam 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.