Newest Members
Stormchaser, johnnyc717, bluebook, Roscoe, SJC
12314 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
iwishicared (41), Scott Oliver (53), TutDaVinci (32)
Who's Online
3 registered (motmcd, 2 invisible), 17 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12314 Members
74 Forums
63368 Topics
443104 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#326646 - 03/30/10 09:52 AM another Church's view
Dale English Offline
Newsletter Founder/Producer
MaleSurvivor
Loc: PA
Hi all,

Here is a refreshing take on the issue of clergy abuse from a minister from another denomination.

http://www.abpnews.com/content/view/4997/9/

Taz

#326651 - 03/30/10 10:55 AM Re: another Church's view [Re: Dale English]
catfish86 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Ohio
Wow. That was a very well articulated analysis of the issue. Some of the comments are very well reasoned as well, not the typical "castrate the animals" or "these kids enjoyed it" drivel you often see with these types of stories. Thanks for posting that. For one thing that I don't often see is he brings up the "sin-forgiveness" philosophy as a major component aside from just the "evil SOBs covered it up to protect the church and their behind" accusations. Mostly from what I have seen is fatally flawed willingness to forgive on the part of the church as a major component. That is not to say there is not the cover-it-up philosophy at play but too little of this is mentioned in what has to change in the Catholic Church and other churches.

And the Wisdom to know the difference.

#326660 - 03/30/10 12:09 PM Re: another Church's view [Re: catfish86]
kidneythis Offline

Interesting. I wouldn't call the celibacy requirement ancient. It was instituted in the middle ages if I remember correctly because of the abuses of power which were mostly sexual in nature, by "priests" who were actually politicians or someone who purchased the position. Priests and the pope had many many bastard children and spent the church's money like a trust fund baby. The clear disparity between the>

Edited by kidneythis (03/30/10 12:13 PM)

#327155 - 04/02/10 06:29 PM Re: another Church's view [Re: kidneythis]
Deved Offline

Loc: British Columbia
Yes, the sin-forgiveness paradigm is part of the problem. There is an attitude that it is about the sin of two people... the priest on the one-hand, and the child on the other. Somehow, they just don't get it that the child has not sinned. Yet this is how it is treated... as a matter of sin and reconciliation, rather than dangerous people who need to be prosecuted.

"Try not to become a man of success but rather to become a man of value." ~Albert Einstein

Moderator:  Chase Eric, ModTeam 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.