Newest Members
JHNebraska, mike42069, JACKL, Personman, SiegmundNYC
12490 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Alpha (49), AYounglove10 (23), joanne (27), justme62 (52), pontifixmax (44), royjay (46), Steve S. (48)
Who's Online
7 registered (hike1972, BuffaloCO, myrlin, Obi, 2 invisible), 22 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12490 Members
74 Forums
64156 Topics
447671 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#326583 - 03/29/10 05:07 PM Do Survivors Need a Special Approach to Diet?
pufferfish Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: USA
Help! Help!

When I was a kid I was very thin. Once they sent a note home from school that I was underweight.

When I started the recovery phase of my life (when I remembered abuse and started being counseled), I started gaining weight. I was hungry all the time. Not just nutritional hunger but love hunger. I craved food as being something that would "soothe".

I even became deficient in vitamins during that time: I had to start taking B-complex and other vitamins because I was becoming deficient. This was because of extra nutritional needs during recovery. It wasn't just "eating because I was unhappy". Yes, I was depressed and using extra energy in healing. But yes I began overeating.

Now I am feeling a lot better but I am carrying around some extra "baggage" left over from that stuff.

I find that eating hot soup sooths and nourishes.

Eating a low-sugar diet (especially low in high-fructose corn syrup) helps me a lot. When I am on that diet, my blood sugar and more importantly blood fat, goes to normal. My blood pressure also normalizes. But that diet is very hard to maintain. For one thing, fun food is my main source of fun. It is terribly hard to turn down a good cookie. Often the sweets are offered during the few social activities that I have.

I do know that exercise is very important, but if you feel a lack of energy from being depressed, how do you exercise?

I also have IBS (irritable bowel syndrome) so that a lot of foods cause upsetting conditions. So I have to avoid pork, eggs, soy sauce, peanut butter and peanut oil.

Allen

Pufferfish whistle

#326584 - 03/29/10 05:12 PM Re: Do Survivors Need a Special Approach to Diet? [Re: pufferfish]
TheBobcatAgain Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: AZ, U.S.A.
Allen,

Don't know much about dieting - except that I need to start - but you might ask Charlie24 about it. I'm not sure, but I think he might be able to answer some questions for you.

Hope that helps.

Bobcat

#327748 - 04/08/10 05:21 PM Re: Do Survivors Need a Special Approach to Diet? [Re: pufferfish]
Charlie24 Offline

Allen while I can't give you nutrition advice since I'm not a liscenced or trained professional yet, I can share with you that you seem to be on the right track with your diet and what you share with us.

I found out a while back after having a stool sample tested that I needed to avoid gluten and dairy. They suggested I try Goat's Cheese and products. I can tolerate small amounts of the goat cheese.

Am I nutrient deficient. I think I am 100%. I've started supplement w/o the help of a doctor which is extremely ill advisable but when your on a restricted diet you miss out. I miss out on B Vitamins with not eat very many grains. So I supplement with those as well. I'm also missing out on Calcium since I'm not eating dairy.

I've wondered if I have IBS-A at times.

What I've learned for myself is similar to you. I avoid all soy products, I don't feel well after eating them, digestive distress and I also have learned through research that they are not healthy.

I also avoid Peanuts and Peanut Products because they cause me to break out in cold sores on my lips, very embarrassing if you ask me.

I haven't figured out if eggs bother me yet. Sometimes I feel like they do, sometimes I feel like they don't and as I've learned my emotional well being can throw my gut out of whack and just cause everything to get backed up, sorry to get so personal just feels good to share. I do know that eggs in baked goods and desserts don't seem to bother me as much.

Soups are great for you cause they help you feel full with the water and help you eat less over all.

I too am trying to stick to a low sugar diet. I don't believe sugar or sugar substitutes are healthy IMHO.

What I try to do is treat myself now and then and allow myself to splurge and have a little treat here and there. I live in AZ so I can find Coke from Mexico in a glass bottle made from real sugar. God that tastes so much better than the crap they sell up here. Stop HFCS.

So what I've learned that works for me and me alone, not advice for anyone, is nuts, animal protein, vegetables, a little fruit (no more than 3 -4 servings cause I tend to overeat fruit) and occasional some type of gluten free grain.

I feel like when I eat this way I eat better and feel better and everything moves along, so to speak.

Thanks for sharing and letting me share and just being open and honest about your struggles. I believe you've got the right idea.

Great topic. I learned a few things myself.

Charlie.

#327755 - 04/08/10 06:20 PM Re: Do Survivors Need a Special Approach to Diet? [Re: pufferfish]
ComicBookGuy Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: London, England
Originally Posted By: pufferfish
I even became deficient in vitamins during that time: I had to start taking B-complex and other vitamins because I was becoming deficient. This was because of extra nutritional needs during recovery.

Snap. In my case I lost a lot of work time to sickness two years pre-therapy and the job was losing patience, then I found a new doc in my area, they did a few tests, prescribed Vitamin B, and I'm still taking them three days later whenever I'm not eating the fish.

So in answer to your thread question, I think it's less of a special approach to diet for survivors, and more looking after yourself in general with a sensible diet and having moderate meals at sensible times of day and night. I had other health problems 8-10 years before the Vit B thing, they were cured with more fruit including Blueberries and Cranberry juice - coupled with lots more sleep.

In my personal case, I have honey in my tea, margarine with my potatoes and so need to cut that instantly fattening stuff down or out, drink more hot drinks without any kind of sweetener whatsoever, and remember the water which adds to listlessness and depression if you're dehydrated. I can let myself go for a fortnight then pile on the dumbell reps, now that I'm working business hours it's better to walk home from the station to make sure I'm not totally sedantry for the whole day.

#328281 - 04/13/10 09:06 PM Re: Do Survivors Need a Special Approach to Diet? [Re: pufferfish]
kidneythis Offline

I don't think I've eaten properly all mylife. Even when I was fit and thin I wasn't 100%. I just didn't know better and I had been accepting feeling like shit 95% of the time was normal for me. I only felt well when I over ate, over drank, or when I was over working and exercising. The endorphins were the key.
I have type two now and I've taken 4 classes on how to eat properly. The basic diabetes diet of low/no sugar, low carbs, low fat works pretty well. She stressed not going cold turkey and not denying yourself anything just limit portions. I haven't been near perfect and yet I've lost 15lbs and I'm mostly sedentary.
As for nutrition I found something years ago, called Source of Life, made by Nature's Plus. It comes in pills and powder energy shake. you will get all the vitamins and minerals you need as well as some protien. I mix it with blueberries, milk, and 1 or 2 scoops of the powder. I also sometimes add a bannana to it as well. It isn't cheap $41 for the 2.2lb can of powder but the pills are more expensive about $15-$30 or more depending on how many you get. If you get the pills I break them in half to make them last longer. You don't need to take it everyday once a week is plenty if you are eating normally.

If you need to gain weight Use all natural foods. Not necesarily organic but the real thing not the cheaper chemical simulants, your body will thank you.
Now suggestions for what to eat to gain, get full fat yogurt and add it to the shake as thick or thin as you like. Even try ice cream but not too often. Eating often and staying still for about two hours after eating. Eating carbs each meal, whole wheat breads and pastas, egg pasta. If you can tolerate it real cheese not cheese product, nothing hydrogenated.
Even just sitting still for two hours after a meal w/o any diet changes will add pounds.

Edited by kidneythis (04/13/10 09:50 PM)

#328685 - 04/17/10 10:09 AM Re: Do Survivors Need a Special Approach to Diet? [Re: kidneythis]
prisonerID Offline
Greeter Emeritus
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Oklahoma
The full approach to many therapies includes bringing in a nutritionist to the table. Just like many with physical ailments/injuries are in need of counseling so is the reverse true. In the two hospitals I was in we had to work with nutritionists especially if eating disorders were involved. I was diagnosed as having one so had to work with one closely though I did not like doing so.

Many therapists include nutritionists in their rolodex to assist their clients. People dealing with emotional issues often do not take care of themselves or minimally do so. Nutrition fell to the bottom of the totem pole of issues for me. All I cared about was a certain weight or physique. I ran for seven miles every day and ate one meal a week.

A nutritionist, online support or books can assist with another need that a survivor might need. Whether it is over eating, under eating or simply eating improperly.

Daryl

#328808 - 04/18/10 12:13 PM Re: Do Survivors Need a Special Approach to Diet? [Re: prisonerID]
kidneythis Offline

Allen,
You will find that exercise will give you energy onece you break through the wall and go do it.
I think I mentioned it but it bears repeating with Daryl talking it up my comments are based on the lessons taught in my diabetes education classes taught by dietitians and nutritionuists. As well as knowledge gained from years living and hanging out with a dietitian and exercising with and around (talking to) serious professional athletes.
I odn't see any need to spend money on that sort of thing unless you are so unhealthy your doctor takes notice and sends you.
I assume this is just a general common sense discussion not medical advice for people who are sick with a wasting disease or anorexic.
BTW my recomendations would help someone who needs to gain weight and eat nutritionally.

Edited by kidneythis (04/18/10 12:15 PM)

#328892 - 04/18/10 10:39 PM Re: Do Survivors Need a Special Approach to Diet? [Re: kidneythis]
pufferfish Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: USA
Thanks, guys

I can take all the advice you can shell out!

Allen

Moderator:  ModTeam 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.