Newest Members
0128, jeremywickers, JScott12, TMatti2, DaiseyLady
12502 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
fakir (71), HelpMeHelpHim32 (41), motherstars (65)
Who's Online
3 registered (WriterKeith, 2 invisible), 25 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12502 Members
74 Forums
64191 Topics
447938 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#326441 - 03/28/10 10:46 AM making a priest perp
Dale English Offline
Newsletter Founder/Producer
MaleSurvivor
Loc: PA
Hi all,

I find the following to be a pretty inciteful look at how priests are made into perps and how those in authority turn a blind eye. How does the article strike you?

http://www.metrowestdailynews.com/busine...ests-inevitable

Taz

#326454 - 03/28/10 02:00 PM Re: making a priest perp [Re: Dale English]
melliferal Offline
MaleSurvivor

It strikes me as a lot of speculation that isn't well-defended. The notion that men somehow "default" to being sexually-attracted to little boys if they've been deprived of normal sex for however-long a time seems pretty thin to me.

I understand that people joining as young adults a culture that's extremely repressive in the area of sexual development MAY result in some problems, hangups, or odd behavior down the line; I just can't follow the "therefore, they feel compelled to molest children" train of reasoning.

Oprah's resources for male survivors

#326467 - 03/28/10 03:59 PM Re: making a priest perp [Re: melliferal]
ComicBookGuy Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: London, England
"Is it inevitable," so by the writer's logic all the non-offending Catholic Priests must be freaks that take cold showers I guess. BS.

The article's the usual excuse-making for offenders.

Edited by ComicBookGuy (03/28/10 03:59 PM)

#326468 - 03/28/10 04:04 PM Re: making a priest perp [Re: melliferal]
catfish86 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Ohio
I can see where the culture of celibacy breeds suppressed desire that manifests itself in a higher than normal perp rate. However, other organizations such as schools, protestant churches, youth organizations (sports and boy scouts) and hospitals among others have this problem.

In some ways, this is the same church that calls for the USA to abolish the death penalty. Christians are taught to turn the other cheek and that God will forgive anyone that simply asks. This mindset is not fully understood by outsiders. Remember these are a class of men that hear virtually everything in confession and absolve the sin on behalf of God and pronounce pennance (usually prayers but often times corrective action). They are trained to forgive. In keeping with the rest of western culture at the time, it was probably assumed that if the abuser was removed that the abused would simply move on without damage.

That all being said, the priesthood's reaction has forever tainted the faithful. I sincerely believe that the church needs to allow marriage in some fashion. Perhaps permitting priests to marry nuns or requiring some type of direct committal to the church by the spouse would be a solution.

And the Wisdom to know the difference.

Moderator:  Chase Eric, ModTeam 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.