Newest Members
Stormchaser, johnnyc717, bluebook, Roscoe, SJC
12314 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
clutzygurl (22), dun (50), Gene (50), ufp1964 (50), Zoot (68)
Who's Online
5 registered (Jay1946, Obi, focusedbody, 2 invisible), 19 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12314 Members
74 Forums
63355 Topics
443020 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#326438 - 03/28/10 10:27 AM Outer Limits episode- The Deprogrammers
InsideTheWall Offline

This makes me cry whenever I watch it. Be in a good mental place for this.

http://www.fancast.com/tv/The-Outer-Limits/4643/1417194410/The-Deprogrammers/videos

#326604 - 03/29/10 08:40 PM Re: Outer Limits episode- The Deprogrammers [Re: InsideTheWall]
James Landrith Offline

Loc: Alexandria, VA, USA
I saw this one recently for the first time. It was hard to handle the ending.

http://jameslandrith.com

#326727 - 03/30/10 08:39 PM Re: Outer Limits episode- The Deprogrammers [Re: James Landrith]
kidneythis Offline

Very strange. What is the intent here?

Edit
It was very creepy.

Edited by kidneythis (03/30/10 09:17 PM)

#326754 - 03/30/10 10:41 PM Re: Outer Limits episode- The Deprogrammers [Re: kidneythis]
InsideTheWall Offline

Originally Posted By: kidneythis
Very strange. What is the intent here?

Edit
It was very creepy.
If you find it creepy, you already understand. The protagonists' Jolum conditioning represents what we have to work through. The opening quote was:

"At what point does a human being's free will cease to exist? And if we have forfeited our free will... are we still human?"

The ending represents our greatest fears, betrayal and return to what we once knew. There was nothing he could have done for himself, and it acts as a scary reminder to keep trying and hope I'm different than him. The episode ended with another quote:

"For centuries philosophers have wrestled with the question, "Is man able to decide his destiny through his own actions or does fate have the final say?"

Edited by Anonymous (03/30/10 10:52 PM)

#326848 - 03/31/10 04:46 PM Re: Outer Limits episode- The Deprogrammers [Re: InsideTheWall]
kidneythis Offline

Thank you for the response. I was lost for a moment.

Is man able to decide his destiny through his own actions or does fate have the final say?"

that quote is confusing. Decision is the conclusion of a thought process so action doesn't apply really. I know what it is trying to ask; Does man control his own destiny by his actions, or does fate rule us all? The language used isn't well thought out. It leaves too much to be imagined by the reader and to my mind that dilutes the meaning of anything.

I feel like I'm being a dick posting that but it is what I'm thinking about it. I did enjoy the show when the guy appeared to be regaining himself and winning. It was the symbolic taking away of his free will through that very convoluted and evil manipulation, that disturbs me. It reminds me of the evil way I was abused, that's what it is!

#326897 - 03/31/10 11:34 PM Re: Outer Limits episode- The Deprogrammers [Re: kidneythis]
InsideTheWall Offline

I take it you aren't very familiar with the Outer Limits, Kidney. The quote is something you're meant to ponder over as the horror of what you saw sinks in. Its meant to sound dramatic, so just substitute 'what happens to him' for 'his destiny.' Once you strip the language away, the obvious question remains.

#326947 - 04/01/10 10:26 AM Re: Outer Limits episode- The Deprogrammers [Re: InsideTheWall]
kidneythis Offline

I get the question its the language used that bother's me.

BTW its the writers not The Outer Limits whomake it so.

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.