Newest Members
lilac, The Wife Of, smusab, whiteflag, North101
12287 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
adam319 (46), Bellemaman (36), Bob G. (58), S D Witwicky (38)
Who's Online
3 registered (lostsoul824, 2 invisible), 29 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12287 Members
73 Forums
63225 Topics
442123 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#326207 - 03/25/10 08:35 PM 200 deaf boys and the pope knew it! Well he wasn't
kidneythis Offline

pope yet. But still he was told when it was his job to look after investigations of abuse and he let the priest just move.
The then cardinal ratzinger stopped a church trial being conducted in Milwaukie because the man sent him a letter begging forgivenes and claiming ill health and repentence. The man got to die a priest. This seems to be only one of many similar decision by him.
Archbishop of Milwaukie was against the decision and has given deposition of the events. He wants closure for these 200 deaf boys who couldn't even ask for help.

#326238 - 03/26/10 01:25 AM Re: 200 deaf boys and the pope knew it! Well he wasn't [Re: kidneythis]
TJ jeff Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Northern Wisconsin
200 deaf boys abused in Milwaukee

this is the article Kindeythis is referancing - is sad beyond words how many where hurt and nothing was done

Abuse happens in silence/isolation - Recovery happens only when that silence/isolation is broken...

TJ's History

#326240 - 03/26/10 01:42 AM Re: 200 deaf boys and the pope knew it! Well he wasn't [Re: TJ jeff]
Clockwise Offline

Loc: Pennsylvania
I heard about this today and it creeped the shit out of me, especially the part about the said priest's letter asking to die a priest. I kept thinking to myself "The kids you raped and molested will have to live with that for the rest of their lives, why should you get off easy?" I don't know much about the Vatican and their rules and regulations but why the fuck aren't the police running in these places and arresting the shit out of all these priests who are molesting kids! There seiously have to be some changes in the way things are done. Sorry...rant over.

#326252 - 03/26/10 08:02 AM Re: 200 deaf boys and the pope knew it! Well he wasn't [Re: Clockwise]
FormerTexan Offline
Site Administrator
MaleSurvivor
Loc: Denver, CO
What a hideous man this priest. I am a former interpreter for the deaf, and this one especially bothers me. I spent years in deaf culture and know how difficult it is for the deaf to communicate to the hearing, let alone for something so horrible.

1. That

If I could meet myself as a boy...

#326253 - 03/26/10 08:33 AM Re: 200 deaf boys and the pope knew it! Well he wasn't [Re: Clockwise]
ComicBookGuy Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: London, England
Catholic Child abuse is the gift that keeps on giving, just when you think you've heard it all, something else springs to light. It's a bitter irony that that's the only time people seem to care about male child abuse, they will just assume your perp was a priest instead of whoever it actually was.

If Jimmy Breslin ever wants to update his book, he won't ever run short of material, but sometimes for the sake of getting through the day I have to tune out from it otherwise I don't function.

#326290 - 03/26/10 03:47 PM Re: 200 deaf boys and the pope knew it! Well he wasn't [Re: ComicBookGuy]
kidneythis Offline

Thanks for the link TJ jeff. I was so hot when I saw it on tv I needed to post something. I know exactly what those boys felt like being unable to communicate what was being done to them.

#326345 - 03/27/10 08:26 AM Re: 200 deaf boys and the pope knew it! Well he wasn't [Re: kidneythis]
Ken Singer, LCSW Offline
Moderator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Lambertville, NJ USA

#326347 - 03/27/10 08:55 AM Re: 200 deaf boys and the pope knew it! Well he wasn't [Re: Ken Singer, LCSW]
Elad 12 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: on the coast
Some peoples actions are unforgivable. There is a long list of them in this case.

#326349 - 03/27/10 09:17 AM Re: 200 deaf boys and the pope knew it! Well he wasn't [Re: Ken Singer, LCSW]
Sans Logos Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: in my own world in pittsburgh,...
after attending patrick wall's compelling and informative workshop at the conference, i was shocked to discover that since the 4th century there has been church policy/procedure for 'dealing with' priests who got caught. he outlines it in his publication. here's is a press release for the book:

------>>>>>>>>

Insiders Reveal Never-Before-Published Records of
Catholic Church’s 2,000-Year History of Sexual Abuse

Soon-to-be released “Pentagon Papers” of the Catholic Church Claim that Abuse by Clergy Has Been Shrouded in Secrecy for Centuries

LOS ANGELES, CA –– Just as the public anxiously awaits the film version of the runaway bestseller “The DaVinci Code,” a dark and intriguing fictional thriller involving conspiracy, secret codes and the Catholic Church—a timely new book exposes the authentic existence of such things within the Church. The Doyle-Sipe-Wall report, “Sex, Priests, and Secret Codes:
The Catholic Church’s 2,000-Year Paper Trail of Sexual Abuse” (Volt Press, $29.95, April 2006), provides extensive documentation – much of which has never before been published – to show that sexual abuse of minors and vulnerable adults by Catholic clergy not only spans the Church’s history, but has also been well-known and protected by its hierarchy for centuries. It illustrates the disarming depth and breadth of the Church’s awareness of this issue; its concerns, failures and tactics for addressing the problem; and its methods of keeping it secret.

Through a collection of authoritative documents and information from official and unofficial sources, “Sex, Priests, and Secret Codes” begins its survey in 60 CE and concludes with the contemporary public scandal. Since this issue first ignited the public’s concern and awareness when it burst onto the American scene in the mid-Eighties, revelations about such abuse have increased exponentially, with dozens of newly reported stories from cities around the country and the world surfacing in the media on a daily basis. All of which has indicated that this tragic issue is not limited to the U.S. Catholic Church, nor is it a new phenomenon that grew out of so- called secularizing trends of the late twentieth century.

All uniquely well-versed in Canon Law and the history and function of the Catholic Church, authors Thomas P. Doyle, A.W. R. Sipe and Patrick J. Wall spent two years meticulously researching ancient texts, searching for proof that the early Church knew its officials were violating their vows—and have written the book with the conviction that secrecy and accountability cannot coexist. Catholic officials have long tried to maintain the position that the Church was not previously aware of the abuse and that the current flood of victim revelations was unsuspected. By contrast, “Sex, Priests and Secret Codes” shows even a cursory examination of Church documents clearly proves that they had a constant knowledge of clergy violations and used various tactics to curtail the problem and protect the image of the church.

“Sex, Priests and Secret Codes” also makes the point that the sexual abuse crisis is not isolated from the moral questions related to the celibate practice of all Catholic clergy—that in fact, these questions directly relate to why sexual abuse has been such an inflammatory and dangerous issue for the hierarchy, acting as a catalyst for a complex process that is forcing the Church to re- examine and redefine itself– in terms of its ideology of sexuality, its responsibility to its members, and its role in today’s society.

ABOUT THE AUTHORS
The three distinguished authors have served as experts and consultants in over 1,000 cases of sexual abuse of minors by Catholic clergy, and have collectively spent over 70 years of official service within the church.

Thomas P. Doyle, once a canon lawyer at the Vatican Embassy, has emerged as one of the most vocal supporters of victims of sexual abuse by the clergy. He is well known for his 93-page report to U.S. bishops in 1985 warning of an impending crisis involving pedophile priests. When The Voice of the Faithful recently honored Doyle with their first Priest of Integrity Award, David Clohessy, national director of the Survivors Network of those Abused by Priests (SNAP), called him “an absolute hero." Doyle resides in Vienna, VA.

A.W.R. Sipe, a psychotherapist and former Benedictine monk, has written several renowned works on religious celibacy including his classic 1990 landmark study of sexuality and celibacy in the American priesthood. Sipe is now married with one son and resides in La Jolla, CA.

Patrick J. Wall spent 11 years as a Benedictine monk and priest, but disheartened by the abuse within the Church, he renounced his vows in 1998. Since 2002 he has served as a senior legal consultant on hundreds of clerical sexual abuse cases in the U.S. Now married with one daughter, Wall resides in Costa Mesa, CA.

<<<<<<<<<------

it's all so unsettling on so many levels

#326361 - 03/27/10 10:30 AM Re: 200 deaf boys and the pope knew it! Well he wasn't [Re: Sans Logos]
pluckmemory Offline

The New York Times reports on its front page today that the victims had been alerting authorities since the mid-1950s.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/03/27/us...consin.html?hp

Excerpt from New York Times today

Young victims of sexual abuse are often so confused, ashamed or traumatized that they wait years to report the violations. Some never say a word. One of the remarkable aspects of the Father Murphy case is that young victims began alerting the authorities in the mid-1950s, when sexual abuse was hardly even a part of the public vocabulary.[i][/i]

Edited by pluckmemory (03/27/10 10:30 AM)

#326373 - 03/27/10 11:46 AM Re: 200 deaf boys and the pope knew it! Well he wasn't [Re: pluckmemory]
kidneythis Offline

Thanks Sans Logos that was informative. Sex and the church had along relationship. From the beginning in fact. The first masses were orgies and sex was an integral part of church practice which was one of the things that made christions so easy to hate. Even then they knew hyper sexuality had no redeeming qualities and was a uniquely insidious, divisive and undermining method of social destruction.

I've been thinking and after hearing a question on tv last night and I am worried. This whole abuse scandal has an air of something long hidden, past, not taking place now. The dates we have for the last reported abuse are decades old which gives the impression that its a former problem.

I have to ask as well, How many victims are there in that intervening period that haven't yet spoken up or are stuck in that purgatory the church created to stifle complaints? Where are the kids abused in the 90's, even the 00's?
Some may not yet be old enough or strong enough which in a sideways kind of way provides an empirical justification for those like me who claim abuse at a late age, but it just seems people would be more alert and check on symptomatic behaviors and have the kids counseled. I just don't feel comfortable that there is such a gap in the timeline, its not as if pedophilia has gone away.

I am sure this is not the last we will hear of pedophile priests and large numbers of victims. If it is being handled properly we might here of a priest and one or two victims every few years but I suspect we will still be hearing about a single priest and dozens of victims for years to come.

Edited by kidneythis (03/27/10 11:47 AM)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Chase Eric, ModTeam 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.