Newest Members
BCtejas, JHNebraska, mike42069, JACKL, Personman
12491 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
mrwhiskers (25), SouthernLaw (41), TerryT (61)
Who's Online
0 registered (), 28 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12491 Members
74 Forums
64159 Topics
447739 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#326212 - 03/25/10 08:59 PM Re: Conference postings [Re: GentleSoul]
Deved Offline

Loc: British Columbia
Hey Jay!

I agree the conference was amazing... and the day long institute with Mike Lew was profound.

It was good to meet you too and have dinner with you Thursday along with all the other guys.

Dave (in Vancouver, BC)

"Try not to become a man of success but rather to become a man of value." ~Albert Einstein

#326299 - 03/26/10 09:02 PM Re: Conference postings [Re: Riley]
Deved Offline

Hey... it's Dave in Vancouver... after meeting so many great guys at the conference, I felt I had to come back on here and check it out some more. I concur that the day with Mike Lew was incredible.

"Try not to become a man of success but rather to become a man of value." ~Albert Einstein

#326305 - 03/26/10 10:26 PM Re: Conference postings [Re: Deved]
Geeders Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Peterborough, Ontario, Canada
My fellow Air Canada Refugee!

I met many great people while at the conference, yourself included. As well as Ron, and Ken, and Lewis who I have worked closely with for almost a year, but not met before.

I met Mike Lew last year when he was in Kitchener. I really liked him. I'm thinking about attending his weekend in Kirkridge in August if I can swing the bucks.

Also met Mic Hunter, and Richard Gartner for the first time. And then there was the man who helped kick start my recovery, Rick Goodwin from the Men's project in Ottawa..

And there is Jay, Pete and Andy. Logan, Anarion (sp?) and another Dave. And Gabe my room mate at the Y, a truly wonderful guy. Gary from Oz. Steve from the UK. Ken from New Zealand, and Werner from Switzerland. Man, my brain is over heating just trying to remember all the names. Robert! Can't forget Robert. He's Canadian! grin As is Bruce, and another friend, Mr. Recovery. (Also sighted at La Guardia after you left) And there is George from my WoR, and Simon from across the pond. I know I've forgotten to name many here as well. My brain is now mush.

I'd like to also give a special shout out to Trisha, our very special staffer from MS for going the distance, and making sure everything was perfect. Thanks Trisha! You are WONDERFUL!

Glad you dropped in Dave. Do it again soon!

Jim

#326312 - 03/26/10 11:07 PM Re: Conference postings [Re: Deved]
king tut Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: UK
It has been almost a week since the conference, and my opinion of it hasn't changed. I always try to be careful with words, but i still think that i can say that the conference was the greatest experience of my life so far. I have never before felt so accepted, so loved, and so safe. And certainly never felt that way by so many people.

To everybody that came up to me and said hi, or said "king tut!", i am so grateful! I have never felt so happy.

I attended the Thursday Mike Lew workshop. This was a really good idea because it allowed me to make bonds with people which helped bonding throughout the weekend, and i met even more people throughout the weekend. I have been to a Mike Lew workshop before, and each time you learn something new about recovery and about yourself, and about the nature of the world and other people, and friendship. An EXTREMELY powerful experience.

I wish i could be as detailed as Mark in his post, but there are far too many people to mention. I keep thinking back to everybody that i met, and it is unbelievable. Everybody was so nice, so understanding, so friendly, so great! it was fantastic meeting so many people here from the site, and having dinner with many of you. It was great meeting the members of the modteam and administration in person- i am just completely honoured to be working with you all! Such great guys!

It was fantastic seeing Mike Lew again, he is such a great guy, and he always has it exactly right. I was pleased to attend a workshop run by Jeff Conway, who also helped out at Mike Lews workshop. I saw Mic hunter but did not have the opportunity to talk to him. I talked to Richard Gartner a little, he is a very approachable and friendly man. I was also honoured to have lunch with Ken Singer, an amazing member of our team and an amazing person. I have books by most of these guys so it was amazing being able to meet them in person. Actually, so many of the guys i had the privilege of talking to who came to the conference have their own initatives and organisations that all deserve a mention- although i haven't got the brain capacity or time to do that lol. One such person, his name is Bob F, has a group called VitalCycles- i talked to him for a while and he really knows what he is doing, a really knowledgeable guy, he has a website by that same name. I went to Joe Korts workshop, it was about SMSM (straight men who have sex with men). It was the best short workshop that i attended because it is where i learnt the most. It certainly kept me thinking and questioning and he was very good with his responses. I learnt some new things. It was also nice to see Steve from AMSOSA there, that was a really pleasant suprise!

A special thanks to Mark for organising the dinner on Thursday night, really thank you, it worked out brilliantly. You really helped to make the occassion special and memorable.

A special thanks to Logan for taking me to the Empire state building, and sticking around even though you had lots of work to do, it was an immensely powerful experience and i look forward to the next time our paths cross.

Also to John (walkingsouth), thanks for the brilliant speech you made and thanks for the long talks we had and for looking out for me. It was so great having lunch with you and i really enjoy your enthusiasm for life and your smile. When you smile i can really see your inner child shining through. You really are an inspiration.

And Larry, without you i wouldn't have been there at all, i don't have to tell you how much you mean to me, and how much you have done for this cause. You certainly are a saint. Thanks for being my voice when i can't find it, and being my rock when things get hard.

And Dale, and the whole of your group (i would try naming everybody but i always get names muddled up), thanks so much for the dinner we had, it was so good talking to all of you and really inspirational seeing the bond you all have with eachother, and experiencing the friendliness and warmth that you give out. Thanks for being so nice, so kind, so accepting. You are really good guys.

There were many workshops that i wanted to attend but you can't attend them all because they are on at the same time.

I held back many tears during the conference, but they were tears of joy. I remember at the end of Mike Lews workshop (after a certain powerful exercise) we were all clapping, and it hit me, it hit me that we weren't only clapping for eachother and because of the power of the thing that we had just done, but we were clapping for ourselves. I looked around the room, there were over 40 of us, and i was looking at everybody clapping, i was so happy. I am crying now just thinking about it. I don't know how to describe that moment, perhaps the best word i can find is "beautiful". It was beautiful, the most beautiful thing that i have ever seen. Also, i'm not sure if my partner during one of the exercises, John, is on this site, but if he is i want to thank him too, you are great.

Everybody who i talked to, who talked to me, or even just smiled at me from across the room, and everybody who came or helped out to make this into the success that it was, THANK YOU. It really means a hell of a lot to me. I will remember all of you, and hope to see you again, and hope to see more people come too.

There is so much i could write, and so many people i would like to mention. But i do have a tendency to write too much, so i should stop whilst i am ahead.

Lewis

I love you, little lewis, and i will never leave you. We are the same. You brighten my day, and i will make sure that i brighten yours. Hugs and kisses.

#326314 - 03/26/10 11:16 PM Re: Conference postings [Re: king tut]
king tut Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: UK
I find myself looking at other peoples posts here and thinking "oh yeah of course i should have mentioned Robert, Ken, Dave....."

I agree with Jim "my brain is over heating just trying to remember all the names", but that's a good thing, because it is the first time in my life that i have wanted to remember so many people.

I knew the weekend would be powerful, but i didn't fully realise how powerful.

I have many email addresses, and i didn't have any business cards so i need to email you all so that i can give you my details (and to organise some things with some of you). I haven't had chance to do this just yet since i only arrived home late thursday, and i went to look after over 20 kids at cub-scouts that night (without sleeping on the plane), and today i have been at a meal with my research team and professors (and their kids). Just so you know, i am getting there!

I love you, little lewis, and i will never leave you. We are the same. You brighten my day, and i will make sure that i brighten yours. Hugs and kisses.

#326323 - 03/27/10 12:50 AM Re: Conference postings [Re: king tut]
WalkingSouth Offline
MaleSurvivor

Guys,

I've set out to post here several times and every time I seem to get muddled up in the abyss of words so I write it off as a bad job hoping I can give it another shot later. Well, this is my next attempt. It will be what it will be, eh?

I have been on a high ever since Dale met me at Newark International on Thursday evening. The smiles and good feelings just keep bubbling up from inside. It's awesome! I hate to get into mentioning names because there were so many and I'm sure there are some I will forget but I do want to mention Lewis, Jim (geeders), Curtis St. John, Murray Schane, Ken Singer, Ron (sans logos), Trisha, Ken Followell, Dale English, Gavin (Logan), Sam Bowen (I couldn't have asked for a better roommate and the accommodations were superb!), Trucker Mark, and I'm sure there are others but like the guys posting before me, the mind fails to keep pace. Each of you touched my life in some special way and I love you for it. Your kindness, your smile, your hugs, your gentle presence when I needed it. I have never felt so accepted or cared for. Thanks from the bottom of my heart.

As Lewis stated, the sessions were of the highest quality and I wish I could have attended them all. I heard many who had been to past conferences say that this one beat them all as far as content and atmosphere. I'm thrilled that I was blessed enough to be a part of it.

Special thanks to Trisha, Ken Followell, Jorge Ramirez, and any others who worked tirelessly on this event. The impact of your dedication and hard work may never be fully known. You guys are heroes in my book. Hugs to each of you.

Thanks to all who were there,

John

#326348 - 03/27/10 09:15 AM Re: Conference postings [Re: king tut]
Geeders Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Peterborough, Ontario, Canada
Originally Posted By: king tut
but i still think that i can say that the conference was the greatest experience of my life so far. I have never before felt so accepted, so loved, and so safe. And certainly never felt that way by so many people.
Lewis

Well said Lewis. Well said. It was an honour for me to meet you!(Hope our American brothers don't mind the "correct" way to spell "Honour" lol!)

Your quote above, well it made me think back to my first WoR, and my second. I felt like I "fit in" for the first time in my life. We were all alike. Each with our own different stories for sure. But nevertheless, all the same. Normal! I came away from each of those experiences learning, realizing, and remembering that I AM normal, but what happened to me was not.

It seems to me Lewis, that you have returned home with a similar feeling. It looks good on you! cool

Jim

#326374 - 03/27/10 11:47 AM Re: Conference postings [Re: Geeders]
Ken Followell Offline
President
MaleSurvivor
Loc: Bradenton, FL
Thanks to all of you for sharing your experience at the conference. I cannot find the words to adequately express my feelings when I read all of this. My view of the conference is a little different since it is from the other side of the registration table. It was truly an honour to be able to watch and assist as you went to and from the sessions. To get the feedback and to be part of the incredible sharing that went on between the sessions.

Nothing is better for me than being in the company of fellow survivors. To be witness to the strength, hope, compassion and humor. I am always seeking ways to be with fellow survivors and share the journey my life has become. You all inspire and encourage me.

To read all the positive posts here shows the value of gathering survivors, loved ones and professionals together. We are a powerful group. Please continue to be in touch with those you met at the conference and to recognize how truly outstanding each of you are.

Love to all of you.

Everything works out right in the end. If things are not working right, it isn't the end yet. Don't let it bother you, relax and keep on goin
- Michael C. Muhammad

"I get up. I walk. I fall down. Meanwhile, I keep dancing."
� Rabbi Hillel

#326381 - 03/27/10 02:52 PM Re: Conference postings [Re: Ken Followell]
Deved Offline

The conference was truly amazing for me. I have never before been so extraordinarly "out" as a survivor... and I found it empowering and exciting and energizing. To all the brave men I met, too many to name... I thank you for your amazing courage.

Dave

#326394 - 03/27/10 06:18 PM Re: Conference postings [Re: pufferfish]
needtobefreed Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Maryland
Hello everyone,

The conference was outstanding. The speeches by Theo Fleury, Jorge Ramirez, and Howard Fradkin were powerful and inspirational.

I was one of the 40 or 50 men who attended Mike Lew's workshop on Thursday and I must agree with the comments from the others in attendance. It was a very powerful experience. Just being with a roomful of men who share a powerful bond is always amazing, but with Mike's direction we were able to make it even more powerful.

I also attended Joe Kort's Session and found his thoughts very insightful. He really seems to have the ability to connect the dots.

Patrick O'Leary and Nick Gould had a great presentation on some research they have done.

I felt the entire conference was outstanding, but for me the most powerful presentation was by Larry Lessig. His thoughts on who is responsible are very powerful.

This was my first conference but most definitely not my last.

Alumni of the WOR Dahlonega, GA. May 2010

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  ModTeam 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.