Newest Members
mojo, James M, FredM88, Vermona, Jas52
12111 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
chrisH (34), Malaki619 (32), worcester2003 (51)
Who's Online
4 registered (I Want 2 Thrive, Jas52, 2 invisible), 76 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12111 Members
73 Forums
62499 Topics
438054 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#325555 - 03/17/10 08:30 PM Childhood Adversity Can Lead to Premature Aging
Ken Singer, LCSW Offline
Moderator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Lambertville, NJ USA
Childhood adversity may promote cellular aging
Philadelphia, PA, 16 March 2010 - Children who suffer physical or emotional abuse could be faced with accelerated cellular aging as adults, according to new research published by Elsevier in Biological Psychiatry.

It's an easy fact to forget - the aging process begins at birth. Despite this, cellular aging remains somewhat of a mystery, although there is growing evidence that over time, the DNA within cells begins to show signs of aging. One of these signs is the shortening of telomeres, which are DNA "caps" at the end of chromosomes that promote cellular stability.

Telomere length is a measure of biological aging because telomeres shorten progressively with each cell division. Shorter telomere lengths have been linked to a variety of aging-related medical conditions including cardiovascular disease and cancer.

Stress and trauma, such as childhood abuse and neglect, are risk factors for several medical and psychiatric illnesses, and stress is known to promote cellular aging. So, Audrey Tyrka and her colleagues from Butler Hospital and Brown University examined the DNA of healthy adults who had a history of childhood maltreatment and found they had shorter telomeres than those who did not experience child maltreatment.

Dr. Tyrka explained that the findings "suggest the possibility that early developmental experiences may have profound effects on biology that can influence cellular mechanisms at a very basic level and even lead to accelerated aging."

Dr. John Krystal, Editor of Biological Psychiatry, agreed: "This study illustrates a new way that early childhood adversity may leave its mark on traumatized individuals. Our limited insight into the functional significance of telomere shortening makes it difficult to know whether there are some adaptive consequences of these changes. Yet the association of telomere shortening and cellular aging suggests that there might be long-term health implications of exposure to early childhood adversity."

#325563 - 03/17/10 09:16 PM Re: Childhood Adversity Can Lead to Premature Aging [Re: Ken Singer, LCSW]
catfish86 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Ohio
One question I have is can other factors such as exercise reverse that aging trend? It is important to understand that it happens but what makes it significant is if something can be done to counteract it.

And the Wisdom to know the difference.

#325572 - 03/17/10 10:43 PM Re: Childhood Adversity Can Lead to Premature Aging [Re: catfish86]
pufferfish Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: USA
Yes, catfish, there are a lot of factors that can both speed up ageing and slow it down. Diet and exercise and lifestyle are obvious answers.

I haven't measured my telomere length recently, so I can't answer that one.

But in many other respects abuse seems to have resulted in me seeming much younger than I really am. I just passed my 71st birthday. Yet I clearly appear to others as about 20 years younger. Even my doctor thinks this is true. And it's not just appearance but the clock really seems to have stopped for awhile. I know this is weird stuff. When my amnesia broke I became essentially a 12-year-old very traumatized boy. Then I have had trouble growing from that. But here I am. I look and feel much, much younger than my age. Is it a supernatural effect, like Abraham?

Allen

pufferfish whistle

#325579 - 03/18/10 12:02 AM Re: Childhood Adversity Can Lead to Premature Aging [Re: pufferfish]
petercorbett Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: TEXAS
Hi, my fraternal brothers,

I hear you Allen, I might look 60, but i feel like 50.I can still go outside and do a day's work in the yard. Yes the bones might creak a little.

But, i'm thinking along the lines of Allen.

Heal well my fraternal brothers, heal well.

Little Pete & big Pete..but 1 (Irishmoose.)

May 15-17 2009, Alta, Sep. 2009. Sequoia, 2010.
Hope Springs, 2010.

Moderator:  Chase Eric, ModTeam 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.