Newest Members
Stormchaser, johnnyc717, bluebook, Roscoe, SJC
12314 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
clutzygurl (22), dun (50), Gene (50), ufp1964 (50), Zoot (68)
Who's Online
5 registered (Jay1946, focusedbody, Obi, 2 invisible), 10 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12314 Members
74 Forums
63355 Topics
443014 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#325163 - 03/14/10 09:23 AM Re: 11-Year-Old Boy Charged With Sexual Abuse [Re: Caleb]
king tut Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: UK
Originally Posted By: Caleb
I cannot imagine an 11 year old doing something like this. So sad. I hope they do a thorough investigation before making decisions that will affect that little boy for the rest of his life.

At the same time guys remember that 11yr olds are capable of this, they have done this, and worse. There are many cases of children that age who have not been sexually abused, but mistreated or negelcted in other ways, who go on to do these kind of crimes at that age. Of course the case of James Bulger has been back all over the news for the past month or so because one of his murderers is back in jail for an undisclosed crime, so it is a good time to remebmer that even children can committ unprovoked horrific crimes.

Those of you who don't know of this story see wikipedia. Here is a quote:

"James Patrick Bulger (born 16 March 1990),[1] a two-year-old child from Kirkby, Merseyside, England, was abducted, tortured, and murdered in 1993. The perpetrators were two 10-year-old boys, Robert Thompson (born 23 August 1982) and Jon Venables, (born 13 August 1982). Bulger disappeared on 12 February 1993 from the New Strand Shopping Centre, Bootle, while accompanying his mother, and his mutilated body was found on a railway line in nearby Walton on 14 February. Thompson and Venables were charged on 20 February 1993 with the abduction and murder.

Thompson and Venables were found guilty of the murder of Bulger on 24 November 1993, making them the youngest convicted murderers in modern English history. They were sentenced to custody until they reached adulthood, initially until the age of 18, and were released on lifelong licence in June 2001. The case has prompted widespread debate on the issue of how to handle young offenders when they are sentenced or released from custody.[2]"

and i think we also have some threads on MS. Somebody has also updated wiki with venables 2010 imprisonment.

Lewis

I love you, little lewis, and i will never leave you. We are the same. You brighten my day, and i will make sure that i brighten yours. Hugs and kisses.

#325164 - 03/14/10 09:30 AM Re: 11-Year-Old Boy Charged With Sexual Abuse [Re: Geeders]
king tut Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: UK
Originally Posted By: Geeders
I find it surprising that an 11 year old can be charged with anything. In Canada, a "youth" must be at least 12 to be charged.

Clearly each case is individual, in the case i just mentioned,

"Thompson and Venables were found guilty of the murder of Bulger on 24 November 1993, making them the youngest convicted murderers in modern English history"

These boys were 10 when they committed the crime and 11 when they were convicted, i believe, and their guilt is not disputed.

I do think that the case talked about in this thread needs to be looked at carefully, but to the victims of this boy it does not matter to them if the abuser was 11 or 45 yrs old, the damage is the same, and perhaps more difficult for the victims since it may not be recognised as abuse due to the age of the abuser as readily.

The perpetrator clearly deserves help also, but it doesn't take away from his crime. Like a previous poster said, not everybody who is abused goes onto abuse. In fact, if you do the maths, and recognise that one abuser has many victims, it is clear that only a few people who are abused become abusers thmeselves.

Lewis

I love you, little lewis, and i will never leave you. We are the same. You brighten my day, and i will make sure that i brighten yours. Hugs and kisses.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Chase Eric, ModTeam 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.