Newest Members
Robert Barrett, lostsoul824, beatcook, MassGuy, wiresguy1
12278 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
carter (51), CAW1980 (34), Fissy Tsickens (53), Kris (52), Wheatthins (23)
Who's Online
2 registered (YYZGIRL, 1 invisible), 30 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12278 Members
73 Forums
63172 Topics
441743 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#32494 - 05/31/02 11:49 PM Re: A Simple Question?
Ron_dup1 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Arkansas
Well since I told you all that I was going to ask my therapist about this, I thought I'd let you all know what he said.
He simply said that we are able to deal with the day to day bumps and bruises that come with living as a human being. But there are some things in some of our lives that are like someone sneaking up behind us and punching us in the kidneys with brass knuckles on. Once that happens we find it hard to trust that everyone who comes into contact with us could be the next one to do the same thing to us. The hyper-vigilance is a "normal" reaction to that kind of thing.
He also spent some time helping me to see that I had to learn to deal with the abuse with the coping skills of a 9 year old. Since I have not dealt with the abuse those are the same coping skills I am using today, even though I am 35 years old.
We are going to look at new and more appropriate ways to cope with it. I look forward to the day that I can react to my life as an adult and not a scared 9 year old little boy.
Again thank you all for your wonderfully thoughtful and caring responses to my question.
Talk to you soon,
Ron

#32495 - 06/01/02 09:42 AM Re: A Simple Question?
Lloydy Offline
Administrator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor
Loc: England Shropshire
Ron
My therapist said just about the same thing to me about trying to be an adult with the coping skills of a child, it's a rapid learning process thats for sure !
Lloydy

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.