Newest Members
JohnWC, KKumar, J44, Anura, reynel5
12420 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
camdon (30), camdon greenwood (30), Denise (72), getteddie (66), morgoth (24), Ric (66)
Who's Online
2 registered (Rich1967, 1 invisible), 38 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12419 Members
74 Forums
63767 Topics
445329 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#322298 - 02/16/10 09:10 AM Re: what it means to be alone [Re: Ever-fixed Mark]
westchesterguy Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Westchester County NY
it is a good topic. and being alone is currently my greatest challenge - perhaps the greatest in 20 years. my hypothesis is - i'm not alone in that feeling, but i have no proof - and time, space, and circumstances limit us from finding each other on a street corner nowadays anyway.

furthermore... i predict that in 20 years time no one will 'feel alone' because the definition will evolve given the way communication has changed. especially true with younger generations. face2face will no longer be a requirement for a relationship. thus, those deep, emotional, contentious, forgiving, touching, and interacting bonds that relationships once thrived on, become vanilla, safe, distant, and limited to 100-character statements.... and very fulfilling sex too i am told, and breaking it off forever is as simple and unemotional as hitting the 'delete' button.

no one else sees the horrific social changes underway?

case in point: the line from above "...you are connected to us and we are connected to you...."

that is a huge cultural problem for me, because i do not connect with anyone online. my therapy, years ago, taught me the evils of distancing myself emotionally and physically from the world around... and now society finds that distance is the best way to live -- and to keep the peace and avoid heart break. just live online, no one gets hurt anymore.

i also think that the online world has cleverly tricked us into thinking friends, relationships, and connections online replace the need for face2face. it is easy to have heavy conversation online with someone 2,000 miles away.... because having this same talk in the living room with a real person is emotionally trying and risky. once the browser is closed we are trained to think all is good with the offline world. problems have melted away. loneliness is only in your mind....

the promise (hope, opportunity) for real connections is what teases me to keep coming back online, to here, and to currently 18 dating websites. this is only because real forms of meeting in this day in age are more limited than ever before.

in my view, these are very strange times socially and they will only grow more fragmented due to the internet. i think that more than ever before, anyone who is lonely or alone runs a greatest risk of following this new order -- instead of sticking to our guns and seeking old fashioned, outdated, yet true personal fulfillment with someone else.

#322385 - 02/17/10 12:46 AM Re: what it means to be alone [Re: westchesterguy]
Charlie24 Offline

I wanted to add another thing to this topic.

I believe there is a huge difference between being alone and being lonely.

I've been lonely. I've been lonely in large crowds.

Moving out of my home state of Michigan to Arizona has really forced me to do major growing up.

When I first moved down here I was alone and extremely lonely.

Being on my own outside of the confines of the college dorms has allowed me to flourish in many ways.

I feel less and less lonely even though I am alone in my apt, just me.

I want to echo the comments made by Jeff about the whole online world.

I too believe things like Facebook, MySpace and Twitter give people false senses of reality. I remember seeing people with 500 Friends. Now are they really friends, true good friends with each of those individuals. I can't answer that, I can't speak for them, cause I'm not sure their terms of what a friendship is. I wonder if people say they have friends when in reality it might be more of an acquaintance. I have so many acquaintances in life.

I've known what it's like to get caught up in the whole online world and I've never felt more lonely, it's not a good feeling. I finally gave up on those sites.

I'm really trying to use moderation in my life, moderation seems to work for nutrition and it's discussed the importance of having moderation in life, not just for food. So I'm working on the balance.

Love the thought provking ideas being presented as of late, thanks so much. Feels so good to respond and share with you guys.

Charlie.

#322462 - 02/17/10 08:07 PM Re: what it means to be alone [Re: Charlie24]
Logan Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: NY
good topic

-Blade Runner

#322545 - 02/18/10 01:07 PM Re: what it means to be alone [Re: Ever-fixed Mark]
Brett Jay Offline

Loc: Minnesota
The sort of loneliness--being alone--I am usually referring to is the isolation resulting from the CSA. I've recently was able to be frank with my therapist about some peculiarities concerning my sexuality (BDSM) which I became conciously aware of and which underscore my lifelong isolation even more. What I was left with after the CSA was very little, barely enough to go on with. And now all these years later nothing has essentially changed. No matter who I am with, no matter how sincerely they care for me, I am still on the outside looking in and feel things only partway. If I am treated badly I am devastated but if I am not I am lost, no wholly myself.

#322571 - 02/18/10 08:30 PM Re: what it means to be alone [Re: Brett Jay]
Ever-fixed Mark Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: United States
I understand.

I feel a sense of apartness, of distance, sometimes myself. Giving yourself permission to explore the landscape of your sexuality with your T is great. I don't think I'm there yet.

-efm

Everybody here's got a story to tell
Everybody's been through their own hell
There's nothing too special about getting hurt
Getting over it, that takes the work

- "Duck and Cover" by Glen Phillips

#322616 - 02/19/10 09:19 AM Re: what it means to be alone [Re: Brett Jay]
westchesterguy Offline
MaleSurvivor

Originally Posted By: Brett Jay
...I've recently was able to be frank with my therapist about some peculiarities concerning my sexuality (BDSM) which I became conciously aware of and which underscore my lifelong isolation even more...

what is the relationship between your sexuality and being isolated?

#323426 - 02/26/10 08:20 PM Re: what it means to be alone [Re: Brett Jay]
earthmam70 Offline

Loc: Orange County, CA
I am constantly feeling this way. And thought reading everything on this site makes me feel a little less isolated, once I close the browser I am pulled back to reality and the feeling that my loneliness will never end.

#323441 - 02/27/10 01:11 AM Re: what it means to be alone [Re: earthmam70]
Charlie24 Offline

Originally Posted By: earthmam70
I am constantly feeling this way. And thought reading everything on this site makes me feel a little less isolated, once I close the browser I am pulled back to reality and the feeling that my loneliness will never end.

You hit the nail on the head with this one, great thoughts man and I've felt like this so many times.

I realized, while I'm grateful for the site, I've found at times coming here and being here can make me feel even more lonely in my life.

Have to be careful not to let my recovery dominate my life.

Great topic and thoughts.

In a way its comforting to know I'm not alone in these feelings. It also can be very painful as well cause I'm not sure on how to be less lonely.

Charlie.

#323588 - 02/28/10 06:20 PM Re: what it means to be alone [Re: Charlie24]
many_mees Offline
MaleSurvivor

Funny... Till I came to MS, I felt very alone in my walk. Even though I have friends and family and coworkers who care about me, I had no connection to others who were like me. I am so thankful for this site. It has opened up a new world for me and now I feel very connected and a part of something bigger than myself.

On the otherhand, I am torn between my new found love for myself as a result of this site and the possibility that I may be pulled further away from reality in my day to day dealings. Especially when someone sez... Just send me an email.

This revelation makes me build a new resolve and to strive to meet face2face with all whom I have dealings. And it brings in the desire to meet you guys face2face too. I look forward to the day when I can do just that. In the meantime... Ill see you on here and accept that this is only temporary until i can see you in person!

#324090 - 03/04/10 10:50 PM Re: what it means to be alone [Re: Charlie24]
westchesterguy Offline
MaleSurvivor

Originally Posted By: Charlie24
....I realized, while I'm grateful for the site, I've found at times coming here and being here can make me feel even more lonely in my life...

yes, me too charlie.

have already begun processing the decision on whether or not my time on this site has come to an end as a result.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  ModTeam 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.