Newest Members
Lumpy, squeekinby, rhyoung, Jefferson22, OxfordArms
12369 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
freddie (65), Max10 (56), Medos (46), PJinLB (47), TheWookinizer (27), tofeno (40)
Who's Online
2 registered (Cthulhu, 1 invisible), 13 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12369 Members
74 Forums
63578 Topics
444190 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#323270 - 02/25/10 12:57 PM looking at sex and religion
Dale English Offline
Newsletter Founder/Producer
MaleSurvivor
Loc: PA
Hi all,

I found an interesting little study that certainly deserves much more research.

http://news.psydir.com/Psychology-Articl...utly-religious/

Taz

#323283 - 02/25/10 02:55 PM Re: looking at sex and religion [Re: Dale English]
kidneythis Offline

It looks chicken and egg to me.
I was abused mainly by strangers and when that was happening I was still very much under the illusion my family could do no wrong and that I was in fact being held against their will.
I learned much later, just a couple years ago that they were scum. I lived my whole life accepting their rejection because I grew up with those N****rs (their words) and was tainted, not knowing they knew if I had any kind of regular contact with them I would start to recall what they had been doing to me before I got sent off to the shelter.

Anyway I am irreligious and find religion to be a wholly evil creation of man.
If I had remembered my familial abuse including my torture for being my fathers son by my Aunt the catholic nun, I might have become religious as a way of dealing with it. But I think not, I'm too rational. I knew from a very young age that magic was not real.

In my opinion the religiousness of these criminals is false or a way to delude themselves about doing what they know is wrong.

The evil of religion is the way those in charge manipulate and use the community to their personal ends often ruining the lives of those they don't like or make scape goats.
The main goal of religion from well before the Romans or even the Egyptians was to amass power through control large groups of people, with a method that did not require personal contact with each individual. Ruling by proxy with a set of regulations made up and changed as needed by persons interested in power.
That was and is the genious of the invention. if I were of the type I could get a stranger to do something I wanted without ever having seen his or her face and asking them to do it. They'd think it was their own idea! It is pretty f***ing clever. It also takes away rational thought as the main path to knowledge for any person who might want to learn about truth.
The sad part is generally good people get used to do this, which in the end makes them not good at all.

Edited by kidneythis (02/25/10 08:39 PM)

#323298 - 02/25/10 04:46 PM Re: looking at sex and religion [Re: kidneythis]
catfish86 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Ohio
Kidneythis,

I don't discount your troubles and experiences. It is true that religion is used as a control device by those in power. It is also true that Jesus spoke out against the power structure set up by the Pharisees and Sadducees. That is precisely why He condemned them. It is also precisely why they crucified Him.

In my own experiences, there are many examples of religious abusers. My uncle who kidnapped me was a member of a protestant church and often spouted doctrine about how God did not intend for boys to be raised without a father. The high school friend who set the stage for me to be saved also made passes at me. I realize he had been and was being abused by a youth pastor. A college roommate of my brother in law that went to the same religious (no alcohol, smoking or dancing) college I did is now in prison for molesting kids from his church (where he was a pastor), a high school were he taught and a basketball team he coached among others.

However, I also know two friends of my brother have went to jail for molesting their children. My brother raped a 7yo girl before killing himself. All three of them only entered a church for weddings and funerals and never sober. The general morals on the streets I grew up in were you got off on anything you could stick it in and get away with.

Perhaps one reason for more religiously devout persons being in prison for sex crimes is that the surrounding persons are more horrified by the actions.

For my own experience, Jesus Christ is the only one that I can cling to and He will be there. He has kept me sane and alive. He has comforted me in sorrow and lifted my head from my shame. Following in His ways the best I can (I am NOT perfect) has led to me being educated, married and a father of three.

I don't mean to be confrontational about this, because I understand your viewpoint. Many have raised the flag of faith and doctrine and behind the veil have done evil. God has a special place in hell for them, it is written, both for deceiving and leading astray God's flock and for harming little ones.

Edited by catfish86 (02/25/10 04:47 PM)
And the Wisdom to know the difference.

#323319 - 02/25/10 08:49 PM Re: looking at sex and religion [Re: catfish86]
kidneythis Offline

Catfish86,
It doens't bother me, you are entitled to your belief and I respect it. Many many people of faith manage to live w/o harming others.
I was just making a point about the general aspects of religion and how it works on the larger scale. The post was about how many perps claimed to be religious I said I thought it to be a lie or delusion then I diverged from the thread and added my opinion on religion and why it is evil.
So your repost was not in anyway taken as to terse or confrontational, I asked for it by letting myself get off topic.

I'm cool, I hope you are too.

#323321 - 02/25/10 09:18 PM Re: looking at sex and religion [Re: kidneythis]
catfish86 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Ohio
I'm cool to. You actually make a good point. Not everyone that quotes>

Edited by catfish86 (02/25/10 09:19 PM)
And the Wisdom to know the difference.

Moderator:  Chase Eric, ModTeam 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.