Newest Members
Robert Barrett, lostsoul824, beatcook, MassGuy, wiresguy1
12278 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
carter (51), CAW1980 (34), Fissy Tsickens (53), Kris (52), Wheatthins (23)
Who's Online
5 registered (5 invisible), 24 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12278 Members
73 Forums
63175 Topics
441758 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#323099 - 02/23/10 02:47 PM Goodbye Skippy
catfish86 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Ohio
This is a hard one to write but I have shared so much with you all that I need to express this as well. It is posted here because Skippy is family. Skippy is my dog. She is 15 years old and has been my appendage (wanted or not) for nearly all of that time.

Skippy was abandoned at a zoo by the street vendors in Panama. My wife wanted the puppy and I refused. The wife of my section commander found out and long story short, I was ordered to get the puppy. In a foul mood without letting on that I was only following orders(and no, it was not a legal order, but not something it was wise to refuse), I took my wife to pick up the puppy. When we entered the vets office, this white puppy was in a cage on a table. My wife approached the cage and put out her hands. The vet opened the door and the puppy bounded out past my wife and into my hands. I melted and she has been my companion ever since. My wife wanted a dog and I got one. Whenever life threw ups and downs at me, one thing never changed: Skippy was happy to see me. She knew when I was upset and consoled me and comforted me. Because of her and a puppy of hers that we kept, my wife and I bonded by walking them. She outlived her puppy (nasty habit of swallowing bees finally destroyed his throat). She is a survivor, having been thrown in the croc exhibit after not selling. She taught me and my wife how to care for something and discipline and love something. Our children all owe a debt to Skippy, none of whom knows life without her.

She is ailing now and her muscles are weak and failing her. She is slightly senile and mostly not interested in eating. We are making the decision to put her to sleep this evening. I pray to God He allows us pets in heaven. So this post is in memory of Skippy, one of the best dogs I have ever known.

Edited by catfish86 (02/23/10 02:52 PM)
And the Wisdom to know the difference.

#323120 - 02/23/10 05:41 PM Re: Goodbye Skippy [Re: catfish86]
TheBobcatAgain Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: AZ, U.S.A.
Catfish,

My heart goes out to you and Skippy tonight - I'm crying about it right now. I know how it feels - I had to do the same thing once. Maybe I'll tell you about it sometime.

I hope this doesn't make you sad, but I feel it's necessary to say:

Skippy loves you dearly, Catfish. You saved her life so many years ago, and she has been your faithful friend ever since. I know it hurts to let her go, but remember - you gave her a GOOD HOME and LOTS OF LOVE and she couldn't have expected a better life. Try not to be sad, okay? She wants you to remember her as the happy dog you helped her to be, and I know that she will ALWAYS be with you.

Skippy, I look forward to meeting you beyond this world someday.

Love,

Bobcat

#323131 - 02/23/10 08:01 PM Re: Goodbye Skippy [Re: TheBobcatAgain]
Ever-fixed Mark Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: United States
Catfish,

I'm so glad that you and Skippy have had so much time together. When the time came for use to adopt kittens, I was adamant that the kitten choose me and it seems that's certainly what happened with you and Skippy.

Allow me to share with you a poem called "The Rainbow Bridge"

Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.

When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge. There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together. There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor. Those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by. The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.

They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent. His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....

Author unknown...

-efm

Everybody here's got a story to tell
Everybody's been through their own hell
There's nothing too special about getting hurt
Getting over it, that takes the work

- "Duck and Cover" by Glen Phillips

#323133 - 02/23/10 08:22 PM Re: Goodbye Skippy [Re: Ever-fixed Mark]
catfish86 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Thank you guys. Thank you for the Rainbow Bridge. We just put her to sleep. True to the hardy spirit of Skippy, the vet had never had an animal actually live until the injection was completely in. She went to sleep but kept breathing. After a third injection I finally leaned down to her ear and said that I loved her, go to the light and play there and I would be there to pick her up when I am done. The vet was listening to her heart in amazement that it wouldn't stop, then looked at me and said she had two beats after I told her to go. She waited for my permission to leave. Skippy was a survivor's dog. A hearty breed indeed.

#323135 - 02/23/10 08:33 PM Re: Goodbye Skippy [Re: catfish86]
Geeders Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Peterborough, Ontario, Canada
Bye Skippy. You were loved to the end...You'll be missed...

Say hello to Aja and Titan, and Corkey for me when you see them.

I still miss them so much. cry And I still love them just as much...

(((catfish86)))

Jim

#323138 - 02/23/10 08:43 PM Re: Goodbye Skippy [Re: Geeders]
catfish86 Offline
MaleSurvivor

You know, in a lot of ways, Skippy helped me learn to love a child, to teach and care and nurture. Skills I needed to be a father and that helped me to heal. She was a comfort to me. She would be pissed at me saying this but a cat comforted me during my ordeal. I was forced to participate in killing the cat because my abuser couldn't have that. I think in some way, I needed a pet of my own and really often laid there with her for hours petting her and her cleaning me. That was comforting. We spent hours walking our dogs (my wife and I). That enhanced communication between us and helped build the relationship that helps me to continue. Thank you Skippy.

If you like, I think it would be a fitting tribute to Skippy if you can tell us how a pet helped comfort you and to come along in your journey of healing. I truly think God sends pets to people. I feel Skippy was such a gift.

#323160 - 02/23/10 11:33 PM Re: Goodbye Skippy [Re: catfish86]
Mountainous Buck Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Minnesota
Hey Catfish,

Four years ago tomorrow, we finally put my rescued dog to sleep.

Ben was his name, he was a lab retriever and he was awesome, if not full of mischief. Unconditional love, unflagging happiness, seeker of life and fun, quick to overcome guilt and start wagging his tail.

Helping him make the transition from this world was the toughest thing I've done in some respects: please know that I fully support you and am warmed by your sharing.

It doesn't matter where you've come from,
It matters where you go" Frank Turner

#323164 - 02/24/10 12:07 AM Re: Goodbye Skippy [Re: Mountainous Buck]
ericc Offline
MaleSurvivor

I had a yellow lab name Sunny that we got when we moved to a new house before 6th grade. She was quite the dog and I cared for her. My life after we moved started to fall apart yet she was always there. But truth be told my life turned into a mess and there is so much I can't remember about certain details of my high school years. After I remembered what happened to me, I was in college and when I would come back home for breaks or summer I would take he for walks and it really was nice to be with her. She was arthritic at the end and was a bit stiff, but when I would come down in the morning she would see me and kind of jump up and down as best she could letting me know she wanted to go for a walk. She had to be put to sleep in 1995 because of her arthritis. I do miss her. Thanks for sharing your story.

Eric

#323165 - 02/24/10 12:47 AM Re: Goodbye Skippy [Re: ericc]
Charlie24 Offline

It's tough to loose a dog.

Growing up we a had a dog named ginger, golden retriever. Great dog, died only after 7 years, some mysterious illness.

I really love dogs. I love what you said Catfish about they know you feel and help you calm down. Proven they actually lower blood pressure.

Hang in there during this difficult time.

((((((((Catfish)))))))

Charlie.

#323167 - 02/24/10 02:33 AM Re: Goodbye Skippy [Re: Mountainous Buck]
TheBobcatAgain Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: AZ, U.S.A.
Hey, Catfish,

I wrote this soon after I read your post.

Falling tears my face bedew,
O'er a good soul, loyal and true.
Resting now, received her cue,
She still runs under skies of blue.
Kisses sweet, and silent too,
In her heart, where just love grew.
Peaceful girl, her days too few,
Perhaps a loss I will always rue,
You, a soul I never knew.

I hope it's okay with you that I wrote this. I was crying so much I just had to get this out. Earlybird checked this poem out earlier and said it was good, so I thought maybe I could put it here. It's my tribute.

Your friend,

Bobcat

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  ModTeam, peroperic2009 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.