Newest Members
RodrigoBR, MJ545, Marant, BeingFound, journey4two
12332 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
blueelectron9 (48), Grunty1967b (2014), highflight (42), jocks44 (54), kitm1 (47), Porrick (44)
Who's Online
1 registered (1 invisible), 19 Guests and 7 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12332 Members
74 Forums
63413 Topics
443354 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#322355 - 02/16/10 09:33 PM Olympic Hockey
Geeders Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Peterborough, Ontario, Canada

#322437 - 02/17/10 01:46 PM Re: Olympic Hockey [Re: Geeders]
michael banks Offline

Loc: Mojave Desert, Ca
Jim,

You Canadians and your hockey lol

"IT ought never be forgotten that the past is the parent of the future" John C. Calhoun

WOR Alumni Sequoia 2009

#322445 - 02/17/10 03:08 PM Re: Olympic Hockey [Re: michael banks]
Jim1961 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Pa, but likely traveling...
LOL

It's a REAL sport Mike. They actually play DEFENSE unlike that NBA "sport" you follow! smile

So, is a Canada/Russia final in the cards? Crosby, et al vs Malkin/Ovechkin/Kovalchuk?? Wow what a match up!

Jim (from the REAL hockey town, Pittsburgh)

My Story

#322448 - 02/17/10 04:23 PM Re: Olympic Hockey [Re: Jim1961]
Geeders Offline
MaleSurvivor

Too early to tell, but I am very hopeful that we will repeat the victories of Salt Lake City! grin

Jim

#322451 - 02/17/10 06:23 PM Re: Olympic Hockey [Re: Geeders]
Riley Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: USA
I'd love to see USA win especially with Thomas in net, but a Canada/Russian game would make a lose worth while.

#322454 - 02/17/10 06:51 PM Re: Olympic Hockey [Re: Riley]
michael banks Offline

Jim,

Is there a NBA team in Pittsburg? or that matter a baseball team?
Here in the land of sunshine we have all them lol
I have not seen a hockey game on regular T.V. since ever. Are you sure it is still a professional sport ?????
They now have a hockey team in Ontario Ca called the Reign. I might check out a game.

Mike

"IT ought never be forgotten that the past is the parent of the future" John C. Calhoun

WOR Alumni Sequoia 2009

#322455 - 02/17/10 06:51 PM Re: Olympic Hockey [Re: michael banks]
michael banks Offline

Jim,

Want to bet which country wins the most medals. lol

Mike

WOR Alumni Sequoia 2009

#322863 - 02/21/10 01:11 PM Re: Olympic Hockey [Re: michael banks]
Geeders Offline
MaleSurvivor

Canada vs the USA later today...

Let the Games Begin!

#322866 - 02/21/10 02:53 PM Re: Olympic Hockey [Re: michael banks]
Jim1961 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Originally Posted By: michael
They now have a hockey team in Ontario Ca called the Reign. I might check out a game.

Hockey is SO much better live. That's why it ain't a great TV game ratings wise. Hockey is also really exciting at just about every level. Check it our for sure! You might get hooked though! smile

Jim

My Story

#322869 - 02/21/10 03:16 PM Re: Olympic Hockey [Re: Jim1961]
Riley Offline
MaleSurvivor

The only channel that plays hockey here is New England Sports Network, so no its not on TV usually, unfortunately.

It is definitely worth checking out that game in Ontario. I can't afford NHL tickets so we substitute with AHL game's (similiar league as the Reign). It is always a blast, plus tickets are usually 15 bucks and they give free tickets away like candy. The intensity is just about as good as NHL and it is always a physical game because the players need to prove they are tough enough to play on a professional level. Always a good time.

Tonight's winner moves on, it will be a good game, I hope they play it on nbc.

#322899 - 02/21/10 10:06 PM Re: Olympic Hockey [Re: Riley]
Geeders Offline
MaleSurvivor

Congratulations to Team USA. Your goalie was brilliant!

Jim

#322903 - 02/21/10 10:29 PM Re: Olympic Hockey [Re: Geeders]
Riley Offline
MaleSurvivor

What a game huh, last 2 min when you guys tied it up before we got the open net goal the entire bar was standing. I think everyone spilled there beers when we won. Hockey at its best if you ask me. You put up a damn good fight and all I can say is Crosby is an artist with a puck and a stick.

#322905 - 02/21/10 10:50 PM Re: Olympic Hockey [Re: Riley]
Jim1961 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Damn, I could not watch it because our f#$^&'n cable company moved MSNBC to digital. Uggghhhh. Crosby looked god, eh?

Jim

My Story

#322959 - 02/22/10 11:56 AM Re: Olympic Hockey [Re: Jim1961]
mapleleafsn Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Eastern Canada
I have to admit that Miller was outstanding in net last night in the USA victory over Canada. Team Canada needs some tweeking and tightening if it wants to make it to the medal rounds. We are up against Germany, which will be no walk in the park concidering its game that went to a shoot-out with the Swiss last week.

And even if we win that game we are immediately up against Ovechkin and his buddies from Russia. I honestly feel very nervous of Canada's outcome at these Olympic Hockey games.

Steve

#323267 - 02/25/10 11:57 AM Re: Olympic Hockey [Re: mapleleafsn]
Riley Offline
MaleSurvivor

Are we gonna have a rematch for the gold?!? It looks like it might happen.

#323324 - 02/25/10 10:19 PM Re: Olympic Hockey [Re: Riley]
Geeders Offline
MaleSurvivor

Its certainly possible Riley. I think we have one more game against Slovakia before we get there though. This could get real tense after last nights game against Russia...what a difference in the way the Canadian team played versus the first game...

As for the Canadian Women's Team....YAY! Well done! Another Gold! smile

Jim

#323369 - 02/26/10 10:52 AM Re: Olympic Hockey [Re: Geeders]
Riley Offline
MaleSurvivor

Congrats to your women team. Silver is still a nice color. I heard the Canada vs. Russia game was a good one. We need to get through Finland then we're gunning it for the gold.

#323388 - 02/26/10 01:46 PM Re: Olympic Hockey [Re: Riley]
Geeders Offline
MaleSurvivor

Originally Posted By: Riley
then we're gunning it for the gold.

A member replied to a group pm a few weeks ago, and in ending his note advising us to stay cool, and be prepared for what comes down recovery road, he said "Swords up, Knights". I find this idea refined, and elegant. Gentlemanly, if there is such a word.

In contrast, a Russian noted the other day, after the game, that the Canadians came at the Russians like "gorillas coming out of cage". While lacking a certain elegance, and refinement, the approach was effective.

Perhaps the winner should be decided based on whoever can be the most refined, and elegant gorilla around? grin

Mesdames et Messieurs, faites vos jeux. Ladies and Gentlemen, place your bets! whistle

Jim

#323543 - 02/28/10 08:20 AM Re: Olympic Hockey [Re: Geeders]
ComicBookGuy Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: London, England
The BBC coverage is great, live overnights and big catchup re-runs.

I caught the Canadian Curling gold on the re-run half an hour ago. For Ice Hockey, going to have to record it because of exams, but will have to stay off the internet and watch it before I leave for college.

We'll have to make peace with just that Women's Luge Gold as the highlight for the UK. laugh

Edited by ComicBookGuy (02/28/10 08:21 AM)

#323591 - 02/28/10 06:40 PM Re: Olympic Hockey [Re: ComicBookGuy]
Geeders Offline
MaleSurvivor

smile cool smile cool smile cool

Edited by Geeders (03/01/10 12:17 PM)
Edit Reason: Graphic failed to load

#323601 - 02/28/10 08:19 PM Re: Olympic Hockey [Re: Geeders]
Riley Offline
MaleSurvivor

WOW, what a game. Once we picked up the pace in the second it turned into hockey at its best. I hate to say it, but congratulations team canada you earned it, you played a better game then us.

O man when we tied it up with 20 seconds left, it was ridiculous.

Jim1961, be proud of your Sydney Crosby, he is on top of the world right now, first he brings the team out of nowhere and wins the cup, then he scores the game winning goal in OT to take the gold.

I am also very impressed with the Canadian fans when they gave a standing ovation to Ryan Miller as they gave him the silver medal.

#323621 - 02/28/10 10:05 PM Re: Olympic Hockey [Re: Riley]
Jim1961 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Wow! He is on top of the world, and what a great kid.

We are so blessed here in Pittsburgh with two GREAT Canadians, Lemieux and Crosby! And they are (were in Mario's case) not only world-class hockey players, but really good people as well.

Congrats Canada! I was rooting for ya!

Jim

My Story

#323653 - 03/01/10 01:31 AM Re: Olympic Hockey [Re: Jim1961]
Trucker51 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Denver, CO
I've got one ticket available for tomorrow night's Red Wings/Avs game here in Denver, upper deck, blue line, row 10, best offer, it is a sellout!!!

#323654 - 03/01/10 01:32 AM Re: Olympic Hockey [Re: Riley]
Charlie24 Offline

In my hometown we have a hockey team. I guess it's a bit of a big deal. Part of the IHL, even smaller than the AHL. I remember going to a few games when we were younger, well several. I was always partial to the fights between the players. Sometimes I didn't even care who won, just wanted some fights and then the crowd starts chanting, you can't help but join in. These guys are passionate about this sport and things can get wild.

I've thought about checking out a few games and seeing the Phoenix Coyotes. It's been a roller coaster ride with this team, Jim Balsillie wanted to buy them, move em to Canada.

There staying put here in PHX.

I think about going to games, but I hate to go alone. Kinda wish I had friends to go with, boring to do some of these things alone, but I guess that's my own shit I need to get over with, like company.

Great topic guys.

Charlie.

Edited by Charlie24 (03/19/10 02:36 AM)

#323658 - 03/01/10 01:44 AM Re: Olympic Hockey [Re: Charlie24]
Trucker51 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Denver, CO
Move them back to Canada??? Phoenix used to be the Winnipeg Jets. One of the greatest hockey games that I ever saw was a playoff win where the Jets beat the Red Wings in Winnipeg the last season that they played there. When I lived in Kalamazoo the Kalamazoo Wings played there in Wings Stadium, a little 7,000 seat venue. I saw several concerts there in 1976-77 when I lived there. Here in Broomfield we had minor-league hockey for the last 2 years, the Rocky Mountain Rage, but their owner went bankrupt. We have a nice 6,000 seat venue here with nothing but roller derby and the UFL in it now.

I used to go to Red Wings games years ago in Detroit when they played at Olympia Stadium, before Joe Louis was built. Saw the Cleveland Barons a couple of times before the Coliseum there was torn down, seen the Avs plenty of times, and Denver's AAA minor-league hockey teams before that. I even saw a slugfest hockey game in Bridgeport years ago that went 8-7 in overtime, it was an AHL game.

The movie Slapshot with Paul Newman came out when I was 18, hooked me for life.

#323740 - 03/01/10 10:35 PM Re: Olympic Hockey [Re: Trucker51]
Riley Offline
MaleSurvivor

I have heard alot of debate going on whether there should be fighting in NHL hockey or not, since in the Olympics fighting is not tolerated. Two completely separate people have asked me about it including my professor tonight in the middle of class.

My opinion is that there will always be room for fighting in hockey, believe it or not it keeps the sport clean. Take the Canada vs. Russia game. A russian player slammed Crosby in the back of the legs with his stick and got away with it. In the NHL I would be surprised to see that happen because Pittsburgh's enforcer would have gone right after after him. Fighting keeps the cheap shots at a minimum.

I learned that from a junior coach that trained me to be our enforcer, somebody would pull a skeezy move and the coach would slap me on the back of the helmet and say "go get em." Obviously it was junior hockey so I never got in an all out brawl, but I would be there with my stick poking and jabbing and knocking his skate out with mine.

I also believe fighting in hockey belongs because pro athletes are taught to react not to think and that goes for emotion as well. If somebody pisses you off, many 6'6" pissed off guys react violently. It's contradictory to say fighting is illegal on the ice.

Now that being said there is a difference between bench clearing brawls or Terry O'Rielly crowd attacks and 1 on 1 fights. I also understand Olympic players are under a different scope then NHL players and I fully understand the Olympics rule of no fighting.

I just bring this up because its the second time since the big game I heard we saw an amazing game of because there was no fighting allowed. Both times I said, no, we saw an amazing game of hockey because it was the 40 best hockey players in North America.

Feel free to comment, I'm curious of all your opinion's on this. Please don't be afraid to disagree, I am open to all opinions on this.

#323763 - 03/02/10 04:15 AM Re: Olympic Hockey [Re: Riley]
michael banks Offline

I find Hockey to be a boring game right up there with soccer. I guess I am just ice challenged having always lived in the southern part of the U.S.
Give me baseball and football anyday. I am glad that they don't broadcast games on regular T.V. anymore.

Mike

WOR Alumni Sequoia 2009

#323764 - 03/02/10 07:07 AM Re: Olympic Hockey [Re: michael banks]
Jim1961 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Originally Posted By: michael banks
I find Hockey to be a boring game right up there with soccer.

Mike,

You have GOT to watch a live hockey game before you come to that conclusion. Yikes! smile

Jim

My Story

#323781 - 03/02/10 11:30 AM Re: Olympic Hockey [Re: Jim1961]
Riley Offline
MaleSurvivor

Ouch, that goes right to the soul Mike. lol

I dont mind football, but I find baseball boring as well. I'm going to go out an a limb and say you played baseball as a kid, or atleast have been watching it for years. You probably like baseball because you understand it more then I do, and I don't mean the rules I mean what is going on in the players head, should he steal should he not steal.

Thats why I like hockey more, I grew up with hockey. Hockey fans can spot plays forming as soon as the team grabs the puck and its fun to see that play develop and finally BANG a shot. Plus you have all the individual talent out there such as Crosby with his amazing breakaways and Miller with his jaw dropping saves and Johnson with his hits that make me cinch.

I think we can all agree on soccer. haha.

O yea, at least give one live game a chance.

Edited by Riley (03/02/10 11:31 AM)

#323808 - 03/02/10 03:10 PM Re: Olympic Hockey [Re: Riley]
michael banks Offline

Riley,

Just may go see a game. They have a new team in Ontario Ca. which is not too far from where I live. Might need you and jim to give me the pointers of the game. I don't watch Baseball on T.V. but love listen to it on the radio while doing other things.

Mike

WOR Alumni Sequoia 2009

#323814 - 03/02/10 04:06 PM Re: Olympic Hockey [Re: michael banks]
ComicBookGuy Offline
MaleSurvivor

Originally Posted By: michael banks
I find Hockey to be a boring game right up there with soccer.

Each to their own, I was shocked to find out that to catch the Olympics my Canadian friend in Toronto would've needed cable. So there are plenty that agree with you by not paying to have it at home.

As for soccer being boring, here in England we don't know if the average club will be out of business from week to week, how much more drama do you need on the field laugh

Edited by ComicBookGuy (03/02/10 04:08 PM)

#323849 - 03/02/10 09:16 PM Re: Olympic Hockey [Re: ComicBookGuy]
Geeders Offline
MaleSurvivor

Drama on the field?????

RUGBY!

I'll shut up now.......

Jim

#323998 - 03/04/10 01:47 AM Re: Olympic Hockey [Re: Geeders]
Logan Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: NY
Has anyone here ever thought of BASEBALL. grin

Now thats a great sport.
To watch, play and go see.

And to talk about passionate fans, I dare you to see a Yankees vs. red sox game! LOL

Logan

Edited by Logan (03/04/10 01:58 AM)
-Blade Runner

#324044 - 03/04/10 03:53 PM Re: Olympic Hockey [Re: Geeders]
ComicBookGuy Offline
MaleSurvivor

Originally Posted By: Geeders
Drama on the field?????

RUGBY!

I'll shut up now.......

Jim

laugh If the BBC are showing it, I've paid for it by law so will watch it. Six Nations was great last weekend.

#324085 - 03/04/10 08:44 PM Re: Olympic Hockey [Re: ComicBookGuy]
Geeders Offline
MaleSurvivor

We had the Setanta network for a while, when the boys were playing regularly. And I have to admit that the game made a lot more sense to me than what we call football in North America, either version, American or Canadian. Rugby's cool! cool

Jim

#324089 - 03/04/10 10:42 PM Re: Olympic Hockey [Re: Geeders]
Riley Offline
MaleSurvivor

Rugby is pretty cool. We always had some big irish feis where I grew up and two teams from Ireland would come and play a game. It was fun to watch.

#324093 - 03/04/10 11:47 PM Re: Olympic Hockey [Re: Riley]
jls Offline

We, as in Canada, did play better than the US but not by much. The stats at the end of it showed 32 shots on goal by Canada vs. 31 for the US. You can't get more evenly matched than that. I would like to thank the American team for their efforts since there's nothing worse than watching a lopsided hockey game, even when your own team is winning. In contrast this one was exilerating! JS

#324111 - 03/05/10 08:02 AM Re: Olympic Hockey [Re: jls]
Geeders Offline
MaleSurvivor

Heart stopping too at 24.5 seconds before the end of the third period! shocked

And JLS, you're right. It was an excellent game, evenly matched, and much better to watch that an uneven one.

Jim

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.