Newest Members
ratherbfishing, NeverAgainSB, It Just Is, HealingHope, StormyWeather
12804 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Alicia (56), bubblytam (57), crazydragon (40), JGag78 (37), kris82 (33), Shin (29)
Who's Online
9 registered (betrayed boy, 7 invisible), 8 Guests and 7 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12804 Members
75 Forums
66040 Topics
461710 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#323601 - 02/28/10 08:19 PM Re: Olympic Hockey [Re: Geeders]
Riley Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: USA
WOW, what a game. Once we picked up the pace in the second it turned into hockey at its best. I hate to say it, but congratulations team canada you earned it, you played a better game then us.

O man when we tied it up with 20 seconds left, it was ridiculous.

Jim1961, be proud of your Sydney Crosby, he is on top of the world right now, first he brings the team out of nowhere and wins the cup, then he scores the game winning goal in OT to take the gold.

I am also very impressed with the Canadian fans when they gave a standing ovation to Ryan Miller as they gave him the silver medal.

#323621 - 02/28/10 10:05 PM Re: Olympic Hockey [Re: Riley]
Jim1961 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Pa, but likely traveling...
Wow! He is on top of the world, and what a great kid.

We are so blessed here in Pittsburgh with two GREAT Canadians, Lemieux and Crosby! And they are (were in Mario's case) not only world-class hockey players, but really good people as well.

Congrats Canada! I was rooting for ya!

Jim

My Story

#323653 - 03/01/10 01:31 AM Re: Olympic Hockey [Re: Jim1961]
Trucker51 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Denver, CO
I've got one ticket available for tomorrow night's Red Wings/Avs game here in Denver, upper deck, blue line, row 10, best offer, it is a sellout!!!

#323654 - 03/01/10 01:32 AM Re: Olympic Hockey [Re: Riley]
Charlie24 Offline

In my hometown we have a hockey team. I guess it's a bit of a big deal. Part of the IHL, even smaller than the AHL. I remember going to a few games when we were younger, well several. I was always partial to the fights between the players. Sometimes I didn't even care who won, just wanted some fights and then the crowd starts chanting, you can't help but join in. These guys are passionate about this sport and things can get wild.

I've thought about checking out a few games and seeing the Phoenix Coyotes. It's been a roller coaster ride with this team, Jim Balsillie wanted to buy them, move em to Canada.

There staying put here in PHX.

I think about going to games, but I hate to go alone. Kinda wish I had friends to go with, boring to do some of these things alone, but I guess that's my own shit I need to get over with, like company.

Great topic guys.

Charlie.

Edited by Charlie24 (03/19/10 02:36 AM)

#323658 - 03/01/10 01:44 AM Re: Olympic Hockey [Re: Charlie24]
Trucker51 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Denver, CO
Move them back to Canada??? Phoenix used to be the Winnipeg Jets. One of the greatest hockey games that I ever saw was a playoff win where the Jets beat the Red Wings in Winnipeg the last season that they played there. When I lived in Kalamazoo the Kalamazoo Wings played there in Wings Stadium, a little 7,000 seat venue. I saw several concerts there in 1976-77 when I lived there. Here in Broomfield we had minor-league hockey for the last 2 years, the Rocky Mountain Rage, but their owner went bankrupt. We have a nice 6,000 seat venue here with nothing but roller derby and the UFL in it now.

I used to go to Red Wings games years ago in Detroit when they played at Olympia Stadium, before Joe Louis was built. Saw the Cleveland Barons a couple of times before the Coliseum there was torn down, seen the Avs plenty of times, and Denver's AAA minor-league hockey teams before that. I even saw a slugfest hockey game in Bridgeport years ago that went 8-7 in overtime, it was an AHL game.

The movie Slapshot with Paul Newman came out when I was 18, hooked me for life.

#323740 - 03/01/10 10:35 PM Re: Olympic Hockey [Re: Trucker51]
Riley Offline
MaleSurvivor

I have heard alot of debate going on whether there should be fighting in NHL hockey or not, since in the Olympics fighting is not tolerated. Two completely separate people have asked me about it including my professor tonight in the middle of class.

My opinion is that there will always be room for fighting in hockey, believe it or not it keeps the sport clean. Take the Canada vs. Russia game. A russian player slammed Crosby in the back of the legs with his stick and got away with it. In the NHL I would be surprised to see that happen because Pittsburgh's enforcer would have gone right after after him. Fighting keeps the cheap shots at a minimum.

I learned that from a junior coach that trained me to be our enforcer, somebody would pull a skeezy move and the coach would slap me on the back of the helmet and say "go get em." Obviously it was junior hockey so I never got in an all out brawl, but I would be there with my stick poking and jabbing and knocking his skate out with mine.

I also believe fighting in hockey belongs because pro athletes are taught to react not to think and that goes for emotion as well. If somebody pisses you off, many 6'6" pissed off guys react violently. It's contradictory to say fighting is illegal on the ice.

Now that being said there is a difference between bench clearing brawls or Terry O'Rielly crowd attacks and 1 on 1 fights. I also understand Olympic players are under a different scope then NHL players and I fully understand the Olympics rule of no fighting.

I just bring this up because its the second time since the big game I heard we saw an amazing game of because there was no fighting allowed. Both times I said, no, we saw an amazing game of hockey because it was the 40 best hockey players in North America.

Feel free to comment, I'm curious of all your opinion's on this. Please don't be afraid to disagree, I am open to all opinions on this.

#323763 - 03/02/10 04:15 AM Re: Olympic Hockey [Re: Riley]
michael banks Offline

Loc: Mojave Desert, Ca
I find Hockey to be a boring game right up there with soccer. I guess I am just ice challenged having always lived in the southern part of the U.S.
Give me baseball and football anyday. I am glad that they don't broadcast games on regular T.V. anymore.

Mike

"IT ought never be forgotten that the past is the parent of the future" John C. Calhoun

WOR Alumni Sequoia 2009

#323764 - 03/02/10 07:07 AM Re: Olympic Hockey [Re: michael banks]
Jim1961 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Pa, but likely traveling...
Originally Posted By: michael banks
I find Hockey to be a boring game right up there with soccer.

Mike,

You have GOT to watch a live hockey game before you come to that conclusion. Yikes! smile

Jim

My Story

#323781 - 03/02/10 11:30 AM Re: Olympic Hockey [Re: Jim1961]
Riley Offline
MaleSurvivor

Ouch, that goes right to the soul Mike. lol

I dont mind football, but I find baseball boring as well. I'm going to go out an a limb and say you played baseball as a kid, or atleast have been watching it for years. You probably like baseball because you understand it more then I do, and I don't mean the rules I mean what is going on in the players head, should he steal should he not steal.

Thats why I like hockey more, I grew up with hockey. Hockey fans can spot plays forming as soon as the team grabs the puck and its fun to see that play develop and finally BANG a shot. Plus you have all the individual talent out there such as Crosby with his amazing breakaways and Miller with his jaw dropping saves and Johnson with his hits that make me cinch.

I think we can all agree on soccer. haha.

O yea, at least give one live game a chance.

Edited by Riley (03/02/10 11:31 AM)

#323808 - 03/02/10 03:10 PM Re: Olympic Hockey [Re: Riley]
michael banks Offline

Loc: Mojave Desert, Ca
Riley,

Just may go see a game. They have a new team in Ontario Ca. which is not too far from where I live. Might need you and jim to give me the pointers of the game. I don't watch Baseball on T.V. but love listen to it on the radio while doing other things.

Mike

"IT ought never be forgotten that the past is the parent of the future" John C. Calhoun

WOR Alumni Sequoia 2009

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.