Newest Members
mossTI, E35, 1975, Lucy, StacyR
12337 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
deaddreamer (41), hkkim (55), tony watashi (44)
Who's Online
2 registered (2 invisible), 68 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12337 Members
74 Forums
63427 Topics
443411 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#321705 - 02/10/10 03:08 PM Who you are makes a difference
catfish86 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Ohio
My son elected me as a person that makes a difference to him. Shoehorning the time into a schedule tight with attempting to set up a new office, I showed up for his class and listened to a short essay he had written about what I mean to him. We also listened as other kids did the same to neighbors, moms, dads, aunts, uncles and grandparents. I graciously accepted the award. I went into my office, shut the door and cried. Following is his essay:

I would like to introduce my dad, a very important person in my life. I know my dad because he's my dad. My dad is really smart since he has been in the army and is running his own tax service. When dad was in the army, he got third out of two hundred people for running a race. When I need some help, I know my dad will help me and will be patient when I need to think about it. My dad is also a close friend to me, and your very special to me, dad.

There are many reasons why I have chosen to honor my dad today. One reason is because he is running with me pretty much every day. When I ask, my dad is almost always willing to spend time with me. I now have my hunter's license so I can hunt with my dad. We went on vacation to Virginia, and during that time was great, especially with my dad. I'll remember the happy times we had together.

Please accept this blue ribbon, and wear it proudly, knowing that I appreciate everything you have done for me. Then please take another ribbon and pass it on to someone who has made a difference in your life. I know that I can always rely on you. I know you will always be there for me and that's why I'm giving you this blue ribbon. I hope you now know that I am happy with what you do for me.

Sincerely,
my son's name

Central to my being sucked in to my abuser's web was the lack of a father. To be there for my son hits a soft spot to say the least. I thank God for the strength to deal with the issues that I have and the privilege of being a father.

Edited by catfish86 (02/10/10 08:31 PM)
And the Wisdom to know the difference.

#321711 - 02/10/10 03:56 PM Re: Who you are makes a difference [Re: catfish86]
Obi Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: kansas
aaron,

wow!.... you are truly blessed to have a wonderful son that you have. that was really inspiring...

my story

my vlog

#321726 - 02/10/10 05:53 PM Re: Who you are makes a difference [Re: Obi]
Jim1961 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Pa, but likely traveling...
Wow, that teared me up Aaron.

I was at a retreat last fall when a father gave a powerful testimony about how his wife and he had almost made the decision to terminate the pregnancy of their third daughter. At the end he took out an essay she wrote last year in high school (16 years later) about why he was the most influential person in her life. He lost it up there, and so did the other 70 men in the room.

Will either of my kids ever write something like that about me? Well, I don't count on it. But I sure do love them and want them to be happy and successful (without spoiling the snot out of them lol). If ever they write something like that about me, I would "lose it" emotionally for sure.

Thanks so much for sharing it!

Jim

My Story

#321767 - 02/10/10 10:19 PM Re: Who you are makes a difference [Re: Jim1961]
Charlie24 Offline

Aaron

That is wonderful man. Congratulations.

What a blessing to have a wonderful son and to be able to establish a heatlhy, caring and loving relationship with him inspite of the shit you and the rest of us survivors went through, that is so fucking awesome man.

It puts a smile on my face, reading this story.

Congrats.

#321775 - 02/10/10 10:53 PM Re: Who you are makes a difference [Re: Charlie24]
Caleb Offline

Loc: Richmond, VA
Aaron,

Thanks so much for sharing this man! I have found through the years that the love of my children has been one of the most influential healing powers in my life.

God Bless,
Caleb

#321780 - 02/10/10 11:38 PM Re: Who you are makes a difference [Re: Caleb]
catfish86 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Ohio
Thanks for your responses guys. At the end of the day, my kids give me the most meaning, healing and YES, revenge. I don't have to follow or bow to the attempts to destroy me for my perp's pleasure. BTW, Aaron is not my name. It was my son's name at the end of the letter.

And the Wisdom to know the difference.

#321781 - 02/10/10 11:45 PM Re: Who you are makes a difference [Re: Caleb]
ericc Offline
MaleSurvivor

Aaron,

That was a beautiful story. I don't think I have what it takes to be a parent; most likely a little too little a little too late. That said, I am glad to hear stories like this as I know it really puts into perspective what is important. They also make me realize I need to put my own life and the relationships I do have in order. The years have been tough on them. Keep up the good work and keep being there for you son.

Eric

Moderator:  ModTeam, peroperic2009 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.