Newest Members
MG5555, ShinTensei, jaklumen, Bennett, 0128
12506 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Drea (31), gpdno (47), serb guy (49), Thomas8221 (60), UncleClover (43)
Who's Online
6 registered (JScott12, gatoonfanatic, BobdaFarmer61, 3 invisible), 22 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12506 Members
74 Forums
64202 Topics
448032 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#321852 - 02/11/10 07:58 PM Re: Oprah Looking For Survivors [Re: Obi]
Tuggs Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Pensacola, Florida, USA.
submited what is already public knowledge, wait and see if there is a responce.

My Story

#321853 - 02/11/10 08:06 PM Re: Oprah Looking For Survivors [Re: Obi]
kidneythis Offline

I don't want to discourage anyone but I think it important to point out that this is a TV show.
Oprah, who's press tells us is a great person and does great things isn't necessarily going to be personally involved in this. It will most likely be Producers et al who you end up dealing with and being HANDLED by.
While I am glad someone from here wants to shine light on this our problem, don't set your expectations too high. Oprah isn't going to fix your life, becomeing well known may ruin your life, and in all of this her motive as well as her producers is to create a good TV show not to help you personally. Her aim is to help the large impersonal and unknown group known as "people who have been harmed".
I don't think they will do anything intentionally harmful but if one of you appears emotionally vulnerable to a producer don't be surprised if you are triggered just before you're on air.

So you might want to consult your own therapist before going forward with any offers to be on her show. Even if the producers offer you a "very good therapist" to check you out etc., use your own first.
Producers are people but they have to ensure they make money

EDIT: this seemed important enought to post here in case anyone is like me and didn't read it. I often don't read these things as they are all signed under some form of duress and thus invalid but anyway here it is in case you missed it.
Stories, ideas, suggestions, essays, audio, video, photographs or related materials and any other materials of any kind whatsoever submitted (hereinafter, the "Submissions") will not be returned or kept confidential. All such Submissions may be used: (i) on www.oprah.com (the "Website"); (ii) for broadcast or other publication by Harpo, Inc. or any of its affiliated companies or entities, including, but not limited to, The Oprah Winfrey Show, Harpo Productions, Inc. and Oprah & Friends, Inc. (collectively "Harpo") or its related companies or entities, including without limitation, The Oprah Winfrey Show, "The Oprah Winfrey Network" and distributed in all markets and media worldwide and in perpetuity. By submitting the above, you acknowledge and agree to the following terms and conditions and consent to your name and geographic location possibly being published in connection with the publication, distribution and/or broadcast of your Submission(s).

1. The Submissions may be shared with The Producers and/or developers of The Oprah Winfrey Show and/or other Harpo Productions, Inc. (or its related entities, including, without limitation, Oprah.com and OWN) related programming.
2. Neither Harpo nor any of its affiliated companies or entities are obligated to use or pay you for any Submission.
3. It is possible that similar Submissions may be submitted to Harpo by multiple sources and that a Submission may be similar to ideas generated or developed independently by Harpo employees.
4. All Submissions shall become the property of Harpo, may be edited for length, clarity and/or functionality, will not be subject to any obligation of confidentiality, may be shared with and used by the staff of Harpo and any of their affiliated companies or entities and shared with legal authorities if Harpo believes it warranted. Neither Harpo nor any third or other party with whom Harpo shares the Submissions shall be liable for any use or disclosure of any information or Submission that you submit.
5. Harpo shall exclusively own all known or later existing rights to the Submissions worldwide and shall be entitled to the unrestricted use of the Submissions for any purpose in all media now known or hereafter discovered without compensation to the provider of such Submissions.
6. Harpo reserves the right to change due dates for Submissions, or other specifics, as it deems necessary in its sole and exclusive discretion.
7. By providing the Submissions, you represent and warrant that you are at least twenty-one (21) years old.
8. No Submission may contain any material that is abusive, vulgar, threatening, harassing, libelous, defamatory, obscene, invades a person's privacy, violates any law, any intellectual property or other property or other rights, or is known to be false.
For more information about Oprah.com's privacy policy click here.

IMPORTANT MESSAGE: If you are seeking immediate assistance on a matter involving urgent health care, personal safety, the safety of others or any other issue requiring immediate attention, please do not use this e-mail or website. Instead, IF YOU ARE EXPERIENCING OR HAVE KNOWLEDGE OF AN EMERGENCY INVOLVING IMMEDIATE DANGER OR PHYSICAL HARM TO YOU OR TO ANOTHER, PLEASE CALL 911 OR YOUR LOCAL LAW ENFORCEMENT AUTHORITIES. If you are experiencing any other type of emergency situation with which you need assistance, please click here.. Please note that we cannot reply to all e-mails sent to us or guarantee that your e-mail will be or will be immediately read. We cannot always review every e-mail that we receive.

Edited by kidneythis (02/12/10 04:29 PM)

#321879 - 02/12/10 01:25 AM Re: Oprah Looking For Survivors [Re: kidneythis]
pufferfish Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: USA
Thanks guys

Thanks to you who have already stepped forward.

Yes there are some things you want to carefully consider.

But I'm sure they are not going to be rough with you. Remember that Oprah is a survivor. She knows very well the pain. She's just looking for others to present your side of it. We need some guys to talk about it.

It's not for everybody. Don't look at it as though you are furthering the cause of Oprah. You are furthering the cause of all of us who experienced abuse as children.

Just also remember what a great opportunity this is for our cause. There are huge misunderstandings in the eye of the public about what it means to be a "survivor". Our case needs to be made. It's so, so important. Some of you have the ability to do this and do it well. Please step forward.

Allen

pufferfish

#321888 - 02/12/10 03:11 AM Re: Oprah Looking For Survivors [Re: Obi]
Trucker51 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Denver, CO
What happened after you submitted your story? I submitted mine twice and ended up at some kind of dead blank page that had Harpo Studios URL in my address bar. Did any of you guys see anything different after you submitted your stories?

Just wondered

#321893 - 02/12/10 07:30 AM Re: Oprah Looking For Survivors [Re: Trucker51]
Obi Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: kansas
mark,

i got the same thing you did. wasn't sure if it truly was sent or not. my thought was that if it was meant to be i will hear back from them. if not, then i won't.

my story

my vlog

#321915 - 02/12/10 03:48 PM Re: Oprah Looking For Survivors [Re: Obi]
pluckmemory Offline

I got the blank page but didn't even get the Harpo Studios URL in my address bar. Guess it wasn't meant to be!

#321916 - 02/12/10 04:32 PM Re: Oprah Looking For Survivors [Re: pluckmemory]
kidneythis Offline

I'm hoping she finds some articulate people who can explain clearly to the uninjured why it is we are in so much pain and how the damage is made permanent in the worst way to many who cannot find help or compassion.

#321943 - 02/12/10 11:36 PM Re: Oprah Looking For Survivors [Re: kidneythis]
pufferfish Offline
MaleSurvivor

I'm hoping she will find enough guys that she can have a panel of just guys. I think she will line up about 4 guys on those production stools and then ask questions, like "How old were you?", "What effect did it have on you," etc.

Allen

#322033 - 02/14/10 12:09 AM Re: Oprah Looking For Survivors [Re: pufferfish]
pufferfish Offline
MaleSurvivor

Originally Posted By: Oprah
Are You a Victim of Sexual Abuse?

We're you sexually abused as a child? Have you lived life with feelings of shame because of the abuse you suffered as a child? Have you felt that the sexual abuse was somehow your fault? Did you feel "groomed" by your abuser at the time of the sexual abuse -- or did it take you years to realize you had been "groomed" by your abuser? What kind of emotional damage did the abuse do to you as a child and as an adult? In what ways has the abuse affected the rest of your life? The Oprah Show is looking for adults willing to discuss the painful details of their abuse and its lasting effects. Respond only if you are willing to discuss this topic on national television.

Click on the link below:

http://www.oprah.com/ownshow/plug_form.html?plug_id=3662134

Come on guys - let's have some from MaleSurvivor on her show. I can't do it because I get too emotional and I wouldn't present a good "front". I know there must be a bunch of guys here who could do it. We don't want her to just have girls doing it.

posted by Allen

bumped

#322045 - 02/14/10 01:59 AM Re: Oprah Looking For Survivors [Re: pufferfish]
WalkingSouth Offline
MaleSurvivor

Allen,

I don't think Oprah wants someone who is going to put on a "front". I think she wants' people who are going to be genuine on the show even if that means showing the pain and emotion. I think you would do very well in helping show the public the impact this terrible scourge has on people and society. I mean that in the most supportive way possible, My Friend.

John

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Chase Eric, ModTeam 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.