Newest Members
Lumpy, squeekinby, rhyoung, Jefferson22, OxfordArms
12369 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
freddie (65), Max10 (56), Medos (46), PJinLB (47), TheWookinizer (27), tofeno (40)
Who's Online
5 registered (jon-jon, I Want 2 Thrive, BraveFalcon, 2 invisible), 33 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12369 Members
74 Forums
63581 Topics
444213 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#321686 - 02/10/10 01:06 PM Oprah Looking For Survivors
pufferfish Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By: Oprah
Are You a Victim of Sexual Abuse?

We're you sexually abused as a child? Have you lived life with feelings of shame because of the abuse you suffered as a child? Have you felt that the sexual abuse was somehow your fault? Did you feel "groomed" by your abuser at the time of the sexual abuse -- or did it take you years to realize you had been "groomed" by your abuser? What kind of emotional damage did the abuse do to you as a child and as an adult? In what ways has the abuse affected the rest of your life? The Oprah Show is looking for adults willing to discuss the painful details of their abuse and its lasting effects. Respond only if you are willing to discuss this topic on national television.

Click on the link below:

http://www.oprah.com/ownshow/plug_form.html?plug_id=3662134

Come on guys - let's have some from MaleSurvivor on her show. I can't do it because I get too emotional and I wouldn't present a good "front". I know there must be a bunch of guys here who could do it. We don't want her to just have girls doing it.

posted by Allen

#321697 - 02/10/10 02:04 PM Re: Oprah Looking For Survivors [Re: pufferfish]
Obi Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: kansas
i just posted a reply to the oprah link you provided allen.

told them that i am a male survivor of sexual abuse and that there are a lot of us out there. i then provided my poem that i wrote.

we'll see what happens.

my story

my vlog

#321717 - 02/10/10 04:32 PM Re: Oprah Looking For Survivors [Re: Obi]
JustScott Offline
Greeter Emeritus
MaleSurvivor

Submitted and willing.

#321749 - 02/10/10 08:35 PM Re: Oprah Looking For Survivors [Re: JustScott]
catfish86 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Ohio
I would. Unfortunately, my mother is still in denial and from knowlege of history, etc, being forced to face what happened might kill her. I am also a semi public figure that public knowledge of my sufferings might negatively impact. Would they be willing to change names, obscure certain identifying details, allow minor feature changes (ie hair color, glasses)? I don't know if I could trust them. BTW, just for informed submissions, be aware of the following clause in the disclaimer:

All Submissions shall become the property of Harpo, may be edited for length, clarity and/or functionality, will not be subject to any obligation of confidentiality, may be shared with and used by the staff of Harpo and any of their affiliated companies or entities and shared with legal authorities if Harpo believes it warranted. Neither Harpo nor any third or other party with whom Harpo shares the Submissions shall be liable for any use or disclosure of any information or Submission that you submit.

Edited by catfish86 (02/10/10 08:39 PM)
And the Wisdom to know the difference.

#321760 - 02/10/10 10:05 PM Oprah Looking For Survivors
LN3(SS) Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: MD
In my opinion, this is yet another sad example of how much attention is fixated upon CSA. Unfortunately, there are other types of sexual abuse out there and the media's unwillingness to confront those, except in extreme situations, is a shame and a disgrace. I'm disappointed that someone who is supposed to be an elite journalist fails to see this.

Brian

"When we go into battle, I will be the first to set foot on the field, and I will be the last to step off, and I will leave no one behind. Dead, or alive, we will all come home together." LTG Hal Moore, Jr., USA (Ret.)

#321765 - 02/10/10 10:17 PM Re: Oprah Looking For Survivors [Re: LN3(SS)]
pufferfish Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: USA
I'm not acting as an agent of Oprah or any of her organization in announcing this. But having said that it seems like a tremendous opportunity to present the position of sexual abuse of male children. No it's not going to be for everybody. But there are some who will champion this for the opportunity it is.

So far, thank you Obi.

Allen

pufferfish whistle

#321784 - 02/11/10 12:10 AM Re: Oprah Looking For Survivors [Re: pufferfish]
catfish86 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Ohio
BTW, I agree with pufferfish. It is very important for others to learn the effects of CSA. It is important that people learn both the horrible consequences and yet also that it can be survived. I was just saying that you should be realistic in your expectations. Yes, they may say they are dedicated to education, but underneath, it is part of the entertainment industry. I applaud our members who are willing to take the risks and be a public face for the rest of us.

And the Wisdom to know the difference.

#321811 - 02/11/10 11:03 AM Re: Oprah Looking For Survivors [Re: pufferfish]
ComicBookGuy Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: London, England
Originally Posted By: pufferfish
I'm not acting as an agent of Oprah or any of her organization in announcing this. But having said that it seems like a tremendous opportunity to present the position of sexual abuse of male children. No it's not going to be for everybody. But there are some who will champion this for the opportunity it is.

So far, thank you Obi.

Allen

pufferfish whistle

I'd agree with what you said but in a different way; as well as a great opportunity, it's Oprah Winfrey's last chance prior to going cable to treat male and female survivors equally without appealing to the voyeur market, as her shows have done almost every other time (of those that I've seen) dating back to interviewing Brian Stafford 20 years ago. I'm not holding my breath.

There are two more sets of shows to go in this special as well, so I'll try and remain open-minded due to the gesture of letting non-US viewers watch the special online, from which she will make no money.

Edited by ComicBookGuy (02/11/10 11:05 AM)

#321831 - 02/11/10 02:54 PM Re: Oprah Looking For Survivors [Re: ComicBookGuy]
LN3(SS) Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: MD
Originally Posted By: catfish86
It is very important for others to learn the effects of CSA. It is important that people learn both the horrible consequences and yet also that it can be survived.
I think this statement could be applied to any form of abuse, not just CSA. The unfortunate tendency seems to be to appropriate the statement above solely for CSA survivors.

As for Oprah specifically, I should be more disappointed in her as a survivor. She should realize the harmful consequences of abuse at any age. Alas, I grew up with her when she was here in Baltimore in the early '80s, and she is just as much an oppurtunist now as she was then.

I am just curious whether MaleSurvivor, as an organization consisting primarily of CSA survivors, has asked to be a part of this show?

Brian

"When we go into battle, I will be the first to set foot on the field, and I will be the last to step off, and I will leave no one behind. Dead, or alive, we will all come home together." LTG Hal Moore, Jr., USA (Ret.)

#321832 - 02/11/10 03:08 PM Re: Oprah Looking For Survivors [Re: LN3(SS)]
Obi Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: kansas
well, i have replied to the producers to see if they would be interested. that was yesterday and i'm not expecting a reply back anytime soon.

however, if i do get a reply i would make it a point to see about getting representatives of malesurvivor to be interviewed and so on.

my story

my vlog

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Chase Eric, ModTeam 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.