Newest Members
pjmd, j_f1974, Dan234racer, ajax, marmill252
12431 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
mTm (55), Oz (28)
Who's Online
7 registered (highflight, Obi, pete1973, pattom, 3 invisible), 16 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12431 Members
74 Forums
63839 Topics
445789 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#320852 - 01/31/10 10:49 PM Quit smoking again
Riley Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: USA
Ok I know this is a common topic for the health forum but, I have a specific question. In the winter time me and my friends play pickup pond hockey games. We have for the past few years and when I have more time I would like to join a more formal league. I have smoked for years but, it has been a particularly stressful year so I am smoking probably just under a pack a day. We played yesterday and today and my lungs were killing me, I could only skate for about a minute at a time. I finally found a good reason to quit besides money. I love hockey more then I love cigarettes.

So my biggest question is, one of the biggest reasons I started was as an excuse to get fresh air in an uncomfortable environment. A reason to get some alone time and collect my thoughts. I'm at a bar, its shoulder to shoulder and I suddenly get triggered. Right now I step outside for a smoke, collect my thoughts and am fine after that. What do I do now? Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Riley

#320858 - 01/31/10 11:54 PM Re: Quit smoking again [Re: Riley]
ericc Offline
MaleSurvivor

Maybe step outside and take a few deep breaths, maybe take a short little walk? Not sure, but if you kind find something that works for you other than cigarettes than you are doing something positive for yourself. I think if you can get to the point where you have quit for some time and start to feel good and clear your lungs out you'll realize how much better it really is that way. There are other options I think you just need to find what works for you.

#320877 - 02/01/10 08:58 AM Re: Quit smoking again [Re: ericc]
kidneythis Offline

I'd try to figure out what was making me want to have an excuse. Normies are quite comfortable with saying "I need some time alone"

I guess the solution is ultimately deal with the triggers so they no longer trigger you.

#320891 - 02/01/10 11:46 AM Re: Quit smoking again [Re: Riley]
Sans Logos Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: in my own world in pittsburgh,...
riley, sorry you're struggling with this. personally i think survivors have a built in excuse for starting and continuing to reinforce any obsessive compulsive behavior.

the challenge is how to deal with it.

of course part of the issue is withdrawal from the addiction itself, the physical component and the mental component. the other thing is learning to deal with the issues that caused the compulsion to develop as a pain management tactic to begin with.

cigarette smoking was one of my big compulsions that was a result of medicating from the aftershock of the abuse. weaning myself off of them was a process, but usually the process works in such a way that if you can get over the first 72 hours without a cigarette, then your chances are good that you'll make it to the next landmark, which would be 30 days, then 3 months then 6 months, then 9 months, and by then the stuff should be pretty much out of your system. so that takes care of the physical cravings. the hard part is convincing yourself that you are not a smoker after all, and that you don't and never did need them in the first place.

good luck buddy!

ron

#320937 - 02/01/10 07:02 PM Re: Quit smoking again [Re: Sans Logos]
Riley Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: USA
Thanks for the support guys, I'm gonna go with nicorette gum to get thru the first month or so.

#320945 - 02/01/10 08:04 PM Re: Quit smoking again [Re: Riley]
Elad 12 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: on the coast
Hi Riley,

I used nicorette when I quit years ago. After awhile I started to cut them in half. The thing I remember was in the morning I couldn't wait to have a cup of coffee with my piece of gum. Ah...nicorette and coffee smile

Dale

#320946 - 02/01/10 08:12 PM Re: Quit smoking again [Re: Elad 12]
Hauser Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: United States
Cold turkey is the only way to go..............I did it on the 3rd try.

I had gone around 9 years without a cigarette.........since then, I'll have one ONCE in a WHILE........ask Mark, hehehe. I've smoked one cigarette per week of late, thanks to the corruption and complicity of Mark. hehehe

Cigs don't scare me...........I'll have one once in a great while, they can never control me.

ANYWAY, back to you. Cold Turkey, it's the only way. That is my advice.

#320958 - 02/01/10 09:00 PM Re: Quit smoking again [Re: Hauser]
Trucker51 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Denver, CO
Yeah, it's all my fault Alan, I allow smoking in my house, having a cold one or two also. I also enjoy a drink or two out to dinner, out on the golf course too. I could say more, but I won't.

I combined the patch, starting at 14 mg instead of 21 mg, with the gum for bad cravings, while I continued to smoke, just half a cigarette at a time, eventually cutting that back to an occasional half a cigarette, then none. I went 7 months completely clean after quitting the patch, though the transition from the 14 mg patch to the 7 mg patch was pretty tough, and required a lot of the gum to accomplish.

So the challenge is staying off once you make it that far. In my case, I went to a party, where everyone was drinking and smoking, and I eventually bummed a smoke, then another. Later that night I went and bought a pack. Something else that I later found out, quitting is a lot easier the first time than it is on subsequent tries too.

Good luck, whatever way that you try to quit,

Mark

#321054 - 02/03/10 02:00 AM Re: Quit smoking again [Re: Trucker51]
sportinrucks Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Louisiana
I quit smoking about 2 months ago, after the horrible nightmares and the depression halway through quitting, that was pretty much an incentive to never look back I dont ever want to feel like that again

#321059 - 02/03/10 02:41 AM Re: Quit smoking again [Re: marymn]
Trucker51 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Denver, CO
Been there, done that, Hazelden, 1996, 1997, Prescott House, 1999, Pro Behavioral Health outpatient, 1996, Hazelden Fellowship Center outpatient, 1997, Centennial Peaks outpatient, 1999-2000. Various AA/NA meetings, 1996-2000.

Been clean off my drug of choice, IV and crack cocaine, since December 1st, 1999!!! Still fighting cigarettes and coffee though.

Keep up the good work Mary,

Mark

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  ModTeam 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.