Story and picture!
Victims to relive vile abuse in a bid to keep Goad in jail
Tuesday, January 26, 2010, 15:00
A JAILED paedophile dubbed Britain's worst ever child sex attacker could make his first bid for freedom this year.
William Goad was jailed for life in October 2004 after admitting a string of serious sex offences against boys aged between eight and 17.
As his first parole date approaches, outraged Goad victims said they feel 're-victimised' by the system which asks them to relive their experiences.
The 65-year-old businessman, formerly of Ford Park Road in Mutley, once boasted of beating his own record of abusing 142 boys in one year.
Sentencing him at Plymouth Crown Court, Judge William Taylor ordered that he serve a minimum of six years and two months before being eligible for parole.
As that term is up in December, the parole service has started an assessment which includes inviting victims to make statements.
Police involved in the case say it would be highly unusual for someone given a life sentence to be granted parole at this stage.
Judge Taylor had stressed Goad would 'not be released until the authorities are satisfied you pose no risk to anyone, particularly children.' He added: "It may well mean in your case that life may mean just that."
Paul Wyatt, who was abused by the pervert as a teenager, said: "We feel re-victimised by the judicial system.
"Over the last five years we, his victims, have been living in a real nightmare. Many have struggled with day-to-day life, unable to find the right type of support, and have therefore found it impossible to move forward with their lives.
"If we want our voices heard, I along with the other victims now have to endure the process of making victim impact statements, triggering more nightmares, more flashbacks, more depression."
Det Sgt Steve Foale, of the city's Public Protection Unit, said: "It's very unusual for life-sentence prisoners to be granted parole at tariff [minimum sentence] stage, but for that decision to be made, the probation officer has to make an assessment.
"Part and parcel of that is getting the views of victims. They will be supported through that process."
He said five of Goad's victims, of 15 on file, were this week due to receive letters asking them if they wished to give their views.
The five were those who had previously agreed to have contact with police.
Det Sgt Foale added that other victims of Goad could contact officers if they wished.
Inspector John Livingstone, who was part of the team which brought Goad to justice, said: "Being eligible for parole doesn't mean he will get parole. I would hope he will not be released."
He said that Goad had preyed on vulnerable children 'at every turn of his life.
"I don't believe that any time in prison will change that," added Insp Livingston.
Dc Shirley Thompson, who was also a member of the investigation team, said: "I can't see him ever being released, or being safe to be released."
A Ministry of Justice spokesperson added: "The release of all lifers who have served their minimum term of imprisonment – their tariff – is a matter for the independent Parole Board.
"The panel cannot direct the release of such prisoners until they are satisfied that any risk they present may be safely managed in the community."