Newest Members
jmr2191, autumn, tammy m, TheConqueror, Bloom
12425 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
dphoenix1701 (37), jaywiz2009 (69), mato (57)
Who's Online
4 registered (manipulated, aniceguy, john22, 1 invisible), 23 Guests and 7 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12425 Members
74 Forums
63808 Topics
445555 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#318615 - 01/12/10 12:15 PM Can sex offenders be held after serving criminal s
DJsport Offline
MaleSurvivor

NOT my opinion. Posted as news for all.

http://www.cnn.com/2010/CRIME/01/12/scotus.sex.offender.law/index.html

Again, I Have NO opinion by posting this.

DJ

Edited by DJsport (01/12/10 04:04 PM)

Never make someone a priority if your only an option

#318619 - 01/12/10 12:41 PM Re: Can sex offenders be held after serving criminal [Re: DJsport]
Brett Jay Offline

Loc: Minnesota
I wonder if civil commitment will hold up to Constitutional challenges. But we have to continue to pressure officials to deal with potential repeat offenders.

How to deal with all those offenders who are never apprehended? After all, those are the majority aren't they?

#318629 - 01/12/10 02:48 PM Re: Can sex offenders be held after serving criminal [Re: Brett Jay]
DJsport Offline
MaleSurvivor

Wow,

I simply posted this. My posting is only meant as information. My posting is NO indication of my emotion state or opinion.

I am close to erasing this.

DJ

#318632 - 01/12/10 03:28 PM Re: Can sex offenders be held after serving criminal [Re: DJsport]
Obi Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: kansas

Edited by Obi (04/30/13 10:16 PM)

my story

my vlog

#318634 - 01/12/10 03:34 PM civil committments [Re: Obi]
DJsport Offline
MaleSurvivor

Obi,

Neither one of us needs to leave. Relationships are too important to be displayed publicly.

I am sorry your deciding to leave.

Donnie

Edited by DJsport (01/12/10 04:02 PM)

#320388 - 01/27/10 03:50 PM Re: civil committments [Re: DJsport]
reality2k4 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Stuck between water, air, and ...
Without prejudice, I think that the civil liberties in the US, and other western countries are being eroded by police state rule!
Leave things to the courts.

#320398 - 01/27/10 05:03 PM Re: civil committments [Re: reality2k4]
InsideTheWall Offline

How any regular here could care less about the rights of sex offenders is beyond me.

#320401 - 01/27/10 05:16 PM Re: civil committments [Re: InsideTheWall]
LandOfShadow Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Minneapolis, Minnesota USA
I know in my state of Minnesota there is quite a lot of sex offender treatment and the risk of further offenses is evaluated before release.

A big question I have is how good is the risk assessment? Difficult question I know, but there simply isn't enough money to lock up every offender for the rest of their lives. So if they release them, I want their treatment and assessment to assure me they won't reoffend.

Allan

And by the power of a single word I can begin my life again, I was born to know you, to name you
Freedom

Paul Eluard

#320412 - 01/27/10 09:03 PM Re: civil committments [Re: LandOfShadow]
Ken Singer, LCSW Offline
Moderator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Lambertville, NJ USA
Civil committment is a difficult issue. The Supreme Court held that the states had the right to use it and it was not double jeopardy or a violation of a person's civil rights (Hendricks v. Kansas, forgot what year it was decided.)

I've worked with a few individuals who have been able to work their way out through good treatment. Few and far between. The civil commitment people make it very difficult to get released and essentially, you are in for life after completing your sentence unless you can prove you are rehabilitated. Even then, they are on electonic monitoring and movements are pretty restricted.

On the other hand, I recently began work with a 31 yr old who, as a juvenile, molested a 5 yr old boy twice. He was given probation as a juvenile, failed to complete treatment and by that time was now 19 and civilly committed. He spent the next 17 yrs in the civil commitment program and was just released (with the monitoring). Although I've worked with a few REALLY dangerous people who should never see daylight again (and were committed), this young man has spent half of his life behind bars and didn't deserve it. (Of course, I am concerned about the effects of the abuse on his victim but he should have been treated for the offense and not put away for 17 yrs.)

This is a complicated issue and probably is best used when left up to those who are familiar with the population and when someone is appropriate for it, and they need to be isolated from potential victims. However, it also should be used judiciously to prevent abuse and preventive detention when not needed.

#320415 - 01/27/10 09:17 PM Re: civil committments [Re: Ken Singer, LCSW]
kidneythis Offline

I always doubt discretionary power. It seems to me most of the time it is applied based on emotional content of the pitch being made to hold someone due to theoretical future victims suffereing. Which is really the guilt of those pointing it.

I'd like to see actual recidivist numbers made clear and public w/o manipulation due to fear, Then have a public discussion about the causes that make perps perps (some apparently born others made) and the treatments and their efficacy as well as what testing methodologies for "cure" there are, so we can rewrite the sentencing laws to compensate for new knowledge to eliminate the need for this extra Constitutional application of judicial power.
The idea of someone or a committee having the discretionary power to assign unlimited imprisonment scares me.
It will be a short time indeed before this becomes something that is used in other areas of Criminal Justice and not long after that ????

Edited by kidneythis (01/27/10 09:19 PM)

Moderator:  Chase Eric, ModTeam 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.