Hi everybody,

All it takes is one brave man to get the ball rolling.

Taz

Second former Pontville School pupil comes forward with allegations of abuse
Jan 21 2010 by Gary Stewart, Ormskirk Advertiser, UK

A SECOND man has come forward to allege physical and sexual abuse at a children’s care home after reading an article in the Advertiser.

Last week we told the story of William Dyer, 70, who says he underwent years of abuse at Pontville School, Ormskirk, in the 1950s. Now Terry Daley, 63, from Runcorn, has contacted the Advertiser.

Mr Daley told the Advertiser: “I’ve been fighting for justice since 2001 over what happened to me.

“It was a few years after William Dyer but the same teachers were there.

“On my first day, I was about nine or ten, me and some other new lads were battered with a chair leg by a nun.

“One teacher would come into the showers and punch boys in the testicles and he used to lift us up by our testicles when he wasn’t making us box him. He was a big 16 stone ex-army bloke.”

Mr Daley also claims he was touched on the genitals by a male teacher.

He said: “My life’s been as messed up as William Dyer’s. Do you see any pictures of my family around? No. I was married to two wonderful women, and I ruined it. And my kids won’t speak to me. When you are taught violence that’s all you know.”

Mr Daley said he blamed Trafford Council, the successor to Lancashire Council which placed him in care.

William Dyer welcomed the news that he had found an old pupil. Speaking from his Essex home he said: “It’s fantastic. I didn’t know him but he knew the teachers that were there when I was there.

“We’re going to meet up in two or three weeks to discuss what we’re going to do.”

A Trafford Council spokesman said: “Mr Daley has contacted the Council and we are currently dealing with his request.”

A spokesman for the current Pontville School bosses said: “Pontville was taken over by a private operation in 2001 which has nothing to do with the previous administration. The school was recently rated "outstanding" for the quality of its education and its residential provision.”

A representative of the Sisters of the Sacred Heart of Jesus and Mary, who ran Pontville at the time of the alleged attacks, did not wish to comment. However, it is understood they were not aware of the specific allegation but will co-operate with any investigation.