Newest Members
cricket1007, Nickie98, jahfree, Daryl X., tryintothrive
12496 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
joeybird (54), ladyinwaiting (46), txpearl (46)
Who's Online
4 registered (dan_in_newengland, GummyBear, Scott1962, skyguy), 23 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12496 Members
74 Forums
64171 Topics
447795 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#319452 - 01/19/10 11:59 PM Re: DID Related Question to Fellow Male Survivors [Re: Dude]
pufferfish Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: USA
Jay

You must feel angry sometimes. I just read your story. You went through a lot. and no I do NOT think you deserved it.

Allen

#319461 - 01/20/10 03:31 AM Re: DID Related Question to Fellow Male Survivors [Re: pufferfish]
Joren Offline

Loc: US
Oliver,

We were diagnosed with DID a few years ago now. The poor financial situation has prevented us from getting the help that we need and so we struggle with it constantly.

Our advice is:
- You must give the others time outside
- You have to work on communication as it's not automatic or easy
- You need to have people around you who at least attempt to
understand what is going on

A therapist we saw while in college (as an adult) referred us to a book by Robert Oxnam. It's called "A Fractured Mind: My Life With Multiple Personality Disorder". Unlike most books, this one is not from a psychiatrist but from another survivor of CSA and is told from the inside. Below is a link (or attempt at one) on amazon.com below - but am not certain it will work.

http://www.amazon.com/Fractured-Mind-Multiple-PersonaIity-Disorder/dp/1401308686/

We're still trying to piece things together for ourselves. It's not easy without a therapist to help but it is possible to make progress. I think for us the ultimate goal is not to "integrate" and become a single person, but rather to learn to cooperate seamlessly.

There is one strength found with DID. Because of the trauma that caused it, people with DID tend to have extremely acute instinct on the trustworthiness of people. We've learned to trust that and it's not failed us yet.

Whatever you do, try not to let it get you down. The realization that hits when an official diagnosis is given is scary. When "I" found out, it was another level of trauma all on it's own. Today, I simply accept these blackout periods and go on with life the best I can.

Hope this helps,
Mike

Edited by Joren (01/20/10 03:31 AM)

#319523 - 01/20/10 03:19 PM Re: DID Related Question to Fellow Male Survivors [Re: Joren]
Dude Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Fort Smith, AR
I know your advice wasn't for me, but I like it and think it will help. For atleast me anyway. I try to do that and it's so hard. What's even worse is trying to let everyone have their life as well as run our own. Just wanted to say Thank's, -Donnie
And by the way I have no problem if J talk's, but if he start's violating rules of MS, I will delete or edit his post, but I try to leave him alone and give him some space. -Donnie

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.