Newest Members
mojo, James M, FredM88, Vermona, Jas52
12111 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
-Matt- (39), kevin1963 (51), Northwoods (61), rcb0973 (58), sportinrucks (29)
Who's Online
8 registered (Jay1946, I Want 2 Thrive, tonyramano, Nathan LaChine, 4 invisible), 63 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12111 Members
73 Forums
62495 Topics
438040 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#319458 - 01/20/10 02:08 AM Actor Gabriel Byrnes Reveals He is a Survivor
Anarion Cti Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Eastern US
Actor Gabriel Byrnes Reveals he is a survivor, struggles with alcoholism and depression. ***Possible Triggers*** Says he was beaten and molested by priests; talks about the loss of self-esteem and shame.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/01/19/gabriel-byrne-i-was-moles_n_428869.html

"Whom have I in heaven or earth but You?"

#319466 - 01/20/10 06:12 AM Re: Actor Gabriel Byrnes Reveals He is a Survivor [Re: Anarion Cti]
pluckmemory Offline

Good for him to speak up!

#319575 - 01/21/10 12:47 AM Re: Actor Gabriel Byrnes Reveals He is a Survivor [Re: pluckmemory]
pufferfish Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: USA
'Endemic' rape and abuse of Irish children in Catholic care, inquiry findsBeatings and humiliation by nuns and priests were common at institutions that held up to 30,000 children, Ryan report states

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2009/may/20/irish-catholic-schools-child-abuse-claims

posted by Allen

#319585 - 01/21/10 02:05 AM Re: Actor Gabriel Byrnes Reveals He is a Survivor [Re: pufferfish]
ericc Offline
MaleSurvivor

I second good for him for telling. The more high-profile people speak up about this stuff the more the general public will start to get that this stuff happens. They will also start to understand more the effects. As it stands, I think often times we are minimized and our hurts and struggles are passed off as a result of being weak and evident of other character flaws. Walk a mile in my shoes, let me know what you see.

Eric

#319633 - 01/21/10 05:25 PM Re: Actor Gabriel Byrnes Reveals He is a Survivor [Re: ericc]
petercorbett Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: TEXAS
Hi, my fraternal brothers.

It's me again, the guy who credits the Catholic church for (probably) saving this young boys life by accepting me into that orphanage/Home.
Allen, watching that site you posted, showing those young boys being awakened & in the wash room & playing outside triggered memories of me in that Working Boys' Home (St. Johns Industrial School). I'm crying right now.
Icannot cope, as my haven was others HELL.
Pete
Oh hell i'm leaving

May 15-17 2009, Alta, Sep. 2009. Sequoia, 2010.
Hope Springs, 2010.

#319668 - 01/22/10 12:43 AM Re: Actor Gabriel Byrnes Reveals He is a Survivor [Re: pufferfish]
petercorbett Offline
MaleSurvivor

Hi, my fraternal brothers.

I have my composure back, but i still am an emotional wreck after clicking on that site that Allen had.

I am glad that actor Gabriel Byrnes, reveled that he is a survivor, of Catholic church sexual abuse.

When i see stories like that, i go deep into myself, and it tears me apart, i get very emotional and i am truly sad for those boys whom get sexually abused by Catholic priests, nuns & Brothers.

But, i guess that i am a survivor (in that i am alive), because of those very same people.

For the first time in 17 years of my life, those 4 years at that Catholic orphanage/Home, is where this young troubled boy, for the first time in his life, recieved compassion, understanding & love, from those religious Brothers.
I was between 10-14 years old.

I, have always considered those 4 years the best years of my life. I also consider that is where my life really started.

I guess that it is why, my favorite movies as a young boy, was Father Flanagan's Boys Town & The Bells of St. Mary's. I could watch them over and over, and i would cry like a baby.

As i have always said that was my refuge from all the abuse, as while in their protection, I was safe from my sexual, emotional, physical & mental abusers.

And in these last 6 months or so, I had received a PM from one of my fraternal brothers here, that he was sexually abused in that orphanage/Home, by one of the Brothers. Sad to say that my refuge......Was his HELL.

I, am crying & shaking for little Peter,as he went deep inside of himself, and could see him self in that video clip, from the site that Allen posted. Little Pete could see himself, as that little boy, waking up in a dormitory with his brothers, kneeling saying his prayers & washing up in the community bathroom.

My refuge.........anothers HELL. My heart is heavy. Oh my God.

" I will take that lost boys hand, and i will lead him from the depths of darkness, into the sunshine, forever into eternity."

Heal well my brothers, heal well. Sorry for rambling on.

Little Pete & big Pete..but 1 (Irishmoose).

Hope Springs, 2010.

#319678 - 01/22/10 01:24 AM Re: Actor Gabriel Byrnes Reveals He is a Survivor [Re: petercorbett]
pufferfish Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: USA
Peter

I came very close to NOT posting that because I was concerned about how it might affect you. SORRY! cry

Allen

#319680 - 01/22/10 01:45 AM Re: Actor Gabriel Byrnes Reveals He is a Survivor [Re: pufferfish]
petercorbett Offline
MaleSurvivor

Hey, my brother Allen.

No need to be sorry.

It took me back to a time & place, where little Pete lived. And
for the first time,in his life he, received compassion, understanding & love.

No Allen, my brother, no need to be sorry, as you took little Pete home & he is grateful for it.

Heal well my brother, Allen, heal well. And thanks for taking me home.

Little Pete & big Pete..but 1 (Irishmoose).

Edited by petercorbett (01/22/10 01:46 AM)
Hope Springs, 2010.

#319866 - 01/23/10 05:34 PM Re: Actor Gabriel Byrnes Reveals He is a Survivor [Re: pufferfish]
petercorbett Offline
MaleSurvivor

My fraternal brothers,

I have totally lost it looking at that video clip, on Allens post.
I'm in depression right now, i have been crying all afternoon, just thinking about all this Catholic sexual abuse atuff against us boys who were entrusted to their care. How could this happen? In Gods house as one priest told me, after i had confessed to him about masturbating there..in Gods house, Peter.
I see myself as that little boy in that clip. For that is exactly how we were awaken, rolling out from the bed to the floor, half asleep saying our prayers, and in that washroom all us boys washing up at the same time, in that dining room.

It's the only place where i was wanted, loved, nutured & safe..Now i am sad for my brothers, who were entrusted into the churches care, and were sexually abused. I feel guilty that it wasn't me, i was already ruined, surely God knew that.

Maybe, this unwanted boy watched the movies Father Flanagans Boys Town & the Bells of St. Mary, too many times.

But right now that little boy Pete is hurting, I have cried more yesterday & today than i have in about 55 years. Real streams of tears right here & right now. Maybe little Pete is finally going to let big Pete have a good cry and get those rusty tears held in for those 55 years. Maybe this is supposed to be the trigger to finally let it all out.

Allen, my brother please don't feel that it is your fault in any way.

I'm sorry for this post, but i gotta get this out of my system.

Heal well my brothers, heal well.

Little Pete of so long ago.

Hope Springs, 2010.

#320053 - 01/25/10 01:04 AM Re: Actor Gabriel Byrnes Reveals He is a Survivor [Re: ericc]
ComicBookGuy Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: London, England
Originally Posted By: ericc
I second good for him for telling. The more high-profile people speak up about this stuff the more the general public will start to get that this stuff happens. They will also start to understand more the effects. As it stands, I think often times we are minimized and our hurts and struggles are passed off as a result of being weak and evident of other character flaws. Walk a mile in my shoes, let me know what you see.

Eric

The best thing is, this disclosure is well timed considering his leading role in a hit TV show of the moment, has him playing a therapist. Haven't got satellite TV so can't catch In Treatment, so I'll have to check out the prices of box sets.

#320205 - 01/26/10 09:13 AM Re: Actor Gabriel Byrnes Reveals He is a Survivor [Re: ComicBookGuy]
Elad 12 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: on the coast
I rented the series from Netflix but my local video store had them too. Might try that. I enjoyed the show

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Chase Eric, ModTeam 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.