Newest Members
jeremywickers, JScott12, TMatti2, DaiseyLady, uvagrad4
12501 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
innocence (60), pablo999 (53)
Who's Online
3 registered (watzupwitu, Tiger1982, 1 invisible), 20 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12501 Members
74 Forums
64185 Topics
447890 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#318521 - 01/11/10 03:51 PM Civil Commitment for Sex Offenders
Ken Singer, LCSW Offline
Moderator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Lambertville, NJ USA

#318546 - 01/11/10 09:34 PM Re: Civil Commitment for Sex Offenders [Re: Ken Singer, LCSW]
catfish86 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Ohio
Many of these offenders have ridiculous records. It is a difficult issue because on the one hand, there are many cases where these guys are given break after break but on the other hand, many "sex offenders" are like a local boy that had pictures of his same age girlfriend nude on his cell phone. Do we trust judges to have the judgment to decide who truly needs committed and who does not. In my experience with the legal system, it is a crap shoot all around and always will be.

And the Wisdom to know the difference.

#318567 - 01/12/10 01:19 AM Re: Civil Commitment for Sex Offenders [Re: catfish86]
pufferfish Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: USA
As I've said in previous posts, I read the book: Conversations With a Pedophile. That guy molested over 1000 boys with careful, crafty precision and planning. He admitted that he could never be trusted.

Allen

#319306 - 01/18/10 05:39 PM Re: Civil Commitment for Sex Offenders [Re: pufferfish]
melliferal Offline
MaleSurvivor

For the record, I think it's wrong.

Oh, I'm all for longer sentences for offenders. But the right way to do that is actually giving them longer sentences, not letting them out of jail and then saying "well, but not really".

Oprah's resources for male survivors

#319311 - 01/18/10 06:31 PM Re: Civil Commitment for Sex Offenders [Re: melliferal]
kidneythis Offline

Hmmm
Its not right to do this. Not because these guys are rehabilitated but because it is plain wrong. If we want them locked up forever then sentence them to it the first time. If they've been sentenced and done that time nop matter what anyone believes they should be set free. That is the basis of our society. No gevernment or people working for a government should have the power to keep someone locked up with administrative paperwork.
As in the past we learned and those who got past before the laws changed got past and that was that. I know this is hard for us but we are not special just because it hurts us so much. Either we're all equal or we're not equal at all.
We know now that this is a state of mind that perps have a hard time changeing and often don't want to change so we should rewrite the laws accordingly. But to hold someone beyond the sentence is wrong. Just because of a change in the level of knowledge about what a person who commits this crime is likely to do, or all his predecessors have done, isn't fair. He/she was sentenced based on what was known then and since no facts of the case are changed the sentence should not change.
The courts can hardly be trusted in this country there is no way a panel of administrators is going to be just or fair.
I was held in such a false manner in that institution and then kept in the foster care system by false methods used by administrators to prevent me from going home before I changed enough that my family wouldn't recognize anything wrong in me since I'd be a stranger to them. That was the only intent of holding me, to confuse the issue so that my family wouldn't be able to point to anything specific about me that had changed since it all did.

Moderator:  Chase Eric, ModTeam 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.