Newest Members
GKB, MorganWut, myrlin, AaronS, BookHouseBoy
12465 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
cyrus (44), Dupe1978 (36), James_Is_Talking (36), K-man (58), LordShiningStarr (36), ricky (51), Shawn Hope (29), teresa (42), Warner82 (32)
Who's Online
1 registered (1 invisible), 23 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12465 Members
74 Forums
64000 Topics
446704 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#319260 - 01/18/10 09:43 AM haiti: it's just so tragic! ***triggers***
Sans Logos Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: in my own world in pittsburgh,...
photos

i know others are feeling helpless. oh, those poor victims! i hope people are giving some thought to how they can help. so sad.

#319286 - 01/18/10 01:56 PM Re: haiti: it's just so tragic! ***triggers*** [Re: Sans Logos]
user2007 Offline

My father has just donated here: https://www.donate.bt.com/dec_form_haiti.html

This is the website of DEC (Disasters Emergency Committee), an organisation composed by 13 humanitarian agencies, including the British Red Cross.

They've always helped millions in many other circunstances and are now lauching this appeal for Haiti. Staying here watching images and just saying poor they doesn't help, so those who can please, donate.

All this pavement"

~ John Mayer

#319406 - 01/19/10 02:40 PM Re: haiti: it's just so tragic! ***triggers*** [Re: Sans Logos]
jls Offline

Disasters happen anually all over the world but I can't help but feel especially sympathetic for Haiti. It is the 2nd poorest country in the world which ahs suffered far more than its fair share of natural disasters and political unrest thruout its history. In this case the death toll may match or even exceed that of the entire Asian sunami so agreed that we must do something. If anyone is considering donating please remember that money is better to send than things in kind i.e. blankets, clothes, etc. Such items are difficult to get to a place like Haiti in the best of times, let alone after an earthquake where what little infrastructure that did exist has since been destroyed. Also, sending money will help re-generate the local economy by way of buying necessities locally and hiring local labour. Thru my work we are raising money to help with relief efforts. Perhaps this is something others here can do as well.

#319414 - 01/19/10 04:09 PM Re: haiti: it's just so tragic! ***triggers*** [Re: jls]
westsidej Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Minnesota
Howdy all,

When in doubt, the American Red Cross is always safe. https://secure3.convio.net/arc3/site/Donation2?idb=0&df_id=1320&1320.donation=form1

I also gave to food for the poor but in case you care, they're a Christian relief group.

www.foodforthepoor.org

They spend 97% on progams and only 3% on fundraising/admin costs, BBB accredited & 4 stars on charity navigator.

Hope that helps.

Let's keep our brothers along w/ the Haitian people & aid workers in our thoughts and prayers.

Yours.

Jay

The hottest place in Hell is reserved for those who remain neutral in times of great moral conflict. Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.

#319430 - 01/19/10 05:54 PM Re: haiti: it's just so tragic! ***triggers*** [Re: westsidej]
jls Offline

MSF, or Doctors Without Borders, is another good organization to give to- http://doctorswithoutborders.org/ A colleague of mine spent some time with MSF in Afghanistan and has nothing but good things to say about them.

#319507 - 01/20/10 01:33 PM Re: haiti: it's just so tragic! ***triggers*** [Re: jls]
FormerTexan Offline
Site Administrator
MaleSurvivor
Loc: Denver, CO

Raw video has been released taken by a man at an orphanage as the quake happened.

1. That

If I could meet myself as a boy...

#319513 - 01/20/10 02:22 PM Re: haiti: it's just so tragic! ***triggers*** [Re: FormerTexan]
melliferal Offline
MaleSurvivor

This morning there was an aftershock so strong it may as well have been its own earthquake. 6.1, compared to the original 7.something a week ago.

Some of these poor people must think the world is ending. I suppose for a lot of them it is.

Oprah's resources for male survivors

#319735 - 01/22/10 04:00 PM Re: haiti: it's just so tragic! ***triggers*** [Re: melliferal]
Trucker51 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Denver, CO
Aftershocks went on after the New Madrid series of earthquakes for years. Glad that New Madrid happened in the early 1800s, as today a similar series of earthquakes on the New Madrid fault would have consequences a whole lot worse that Haiti's problems. I recently did a research paper on the potential for a catastrophic earthquake on the Seattle and South Whidbey Island faults near Seattle. There have been several quakes on these faults stronger than 6.5 in the last 100 years, and in the year 1700, there was an estimated 9.0 earthquake in the area that knocked down tress for 100 miles around and caused a devastating tsunami in the Far East.

We had all better give what we can, because someday the shoe is going to be on the other foot. Can you imagine the devastation of an 8.5 quake on the New Madrid fault today or a 9.0 quake in Seattle? And you East Coast types beware too, as underwater geologists are currently worried about the potential for a large tsunami on the East Coast if the slope on the Continental Shelf becomes too steep and there is a catastrophic slope release there too.

Just thought that I should let you know.

Mark

#319745 - 01/22/10 04:55 PM Re: haiti: it's just so tragic! ***triggers*** [Re: Trucker51]
J.R. Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: United States
This is so devastating. Normally, I do not give any money at all to anyone, including church. I just feel that money is so tight, I need to keep the little I can after bills. However, I felt moved to give what I could, and I know I did the right thing. I pray that God will be with the Haitian people and the relief organizations as they work through the rubble and try to help others.

J.R.

#319747 - 01/22/10 05:03 PM Re: haiti: it's just so tragic! ***triggers*** [Re: Trucker51]
jls Offline

Maybe this should be a post placed in the spirituality forum but my thinking is that none of us, or the societies and civilizations in which we live within on this earth, are immune from the level of devastation that Haiti experienced in the past two weeks. In one form of natural or man made disaster or another we are all equally as vulnerable. This has led me to believe that nothing is permanent concerning the landscape of this planet, just as we aren't untouchable as individual people. Change, sometimes traumatic change, is inevitable in this world. Science can explain why things like earthquakes and the like happen but it can't explain why, especially to a poor, forelorn place like Haiti it would happen there instead of to some other country in the world more equipped to deal with such a tragedy.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.