Newest Members
lilac, The Wife Of, smusab, whiteflag, North101
12287 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
DruidWolf (39), Harry (33), knigh50 (53), mike54 (56)
Who's Online
1 registered (focusedbody), 18 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12287 Members
73 Forums
63211 Topics
441998 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#318795 - 01/13/10 08:14 PM Dancing Boys of Afghanistan
Ken Singer, LCSW Offline
Moderator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Lambertville, NJ USA
Frontline, a public broadcasting network, is airing a show on Sunday, 1/19 about boys being used for sexual purposes. ******THE FOLLOWING BRIEF DESCRIPTION MAY BE TRIGGERING TO SOME ***
Quote:
FRONTLINE
The Dancing Boys of Afghanistan
In Afghanistan today, in the midst of war and endemic poverty, an ancient tradition — banned when the Taliban were in power — has re-emerged across the country: Many hundreds of boys, often as young as ten, are being lured off the streets on the promise of a new life, many unaware that their real fate is to be used for entertainment and sex. They’re the “Bacha Bereesh,” literally “beardless boys,” chosen for their height, size and beauty, trained to sing and dance for male audiences, and then traded for sexual favors among former warlords and powerful businessmen. With remarkable access inside a sexual exploitation ring operating in Northern Afghanistan, Najibullah Quraishi, an Afghan journalist, investigates this illegal practice, talking with the boys and their masters and documenting how the Afghan authorities responsible for stopping these crimes are sometimes themselves complicit in the practice.

Check local listings for time and station.

Edited by Ken Singer, LCSW (01/15/10 03:46 PM)

#318802 - 01/13/10 09:32 PM Re: Dancing Boys of Afghanistan [Re: Ken Singer, LCSW]
catfish86 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Ohio
This is a big unspoken aspect of Afghan culture. I was in special ops who are very tuned into various cultures in their manner of blending in. It is a tradition that men of stature keep boys for their pleasure much like mistresses or concubines.

True story: during the Soviet war in Afghanistan, a special ops soldier was dealing with a powerful warlord in a key location. It was very important that this warlord be brought on board and the special ops soldier was well on the way to impressing and winning him over. While staying in the village, a boy was presented to him as a gift. He was expected to use the "gift" and it would have insulted the host if the soldier did not abuse the boy. The boy would have been humiliated and seen as worthless, therefore being killed for disgracing the warlord. Special ops being trained to deal with the unimaginable as a matter of course, gave the boy a small bribe to make noises like he was being abused. The boy was actually upset to not be used but out of shame accepted the bribe and made the noise and spoke of the sexual prowess of the soldier because if anyone found out, he would have been killed. While the Taliban claimed to have banned this practice little was truly done to enforce this ban and it was openly flouted. Most of those punished for this practice were on the order of finding some reason to get rid of a problem warlord.

And the Wisdom to know the difference.

#318822 - 01/13/10 11:12 PM Re: Dancing Boys of Afghanistan [Re: catfish86]
pufferfish Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: USA
This activity is dramatized in the movie: Kite Runner. This movie will show the conditions you're talking about.

http://www.kiterunnermovie.com/

http://www.imdb.com/video/screenplay/vi955580697/

Pretty horrible stuff, the abuse.

The movie is excellent.

Allen

Edited by pufferfish (01/15/10 09:27 PM)

#318832 - 01/14/10 12:31 AM . [Re: pufferfish]
GoFigure12 Offline

#318838 - 01/14/10 01:24 AM . [Re: GoFigure12]
GoFigure12 Offline

#318839 - 01/14/10 01:47 AM Re: Dancing Boys of Afghanistan [Re: GoFigure12]
Daniel_forgotten Offline

you can't say "afhgans" bcause its not all of them it's pashtun thing they live not only in afhganistan but in other places too. my father was sent to middle east and brought us with him he knew everything about men and boys where ever he was

im sure its an ascient thing not new at all comes before islam n other afhgans look poorly at pashtuns

#318842 - 01/14/10 02:15 AM . [Re: Daniel_forgotten]
GoFigure12 Offline

#318860 - 01/14/10 10:07 AM Re: Dancing Boys of Afghanistan [Re: GoFigure12]
kidneythis Offline

GoFigure12,
As for the problem and it not being followed up on. There are many reasons one can deduce this is the one I'm going to point at.
As the result of our society wide attempt to change our bad cultural habits that had very personally destructive effects on any group that could easily be singled out we have become as a society, reluctant to use our judgment on any culture that is different from the "norm" based on the false belief that it is an act of imperial domination.
Somehow the idea that any judgment of anything extracultural is wrong has permeated our culture as we changed. It has become practice to overlook things in others that we wouldn't allow at home.
I think we need to start imposing rightness on primitive people again. Yes I said primitive.
Just as the Spaniards stopped human sacrifice in central America (probably the only good thing they did there) we should do our best to stop pedophilia and making it all open public knowledge would be a start. If Afghans had to look at one another with that knowledge floating in the air around them openly (imagine a billboard about it) they'd have to address it. Christ this is Freedom 101! Free speech = freedom, education = development and change.

I think doing this would bring us the respect we never really had. Because just as it is common to be a pedophile voluntary or not, they know it is wrong even as they do it, so if we allow it or "overlook it" as they do, we are just as corrupt if not more so with all of our more religous types spouting on about how superior we are, for not stopping it.
They can clearly see we don't follow our own beliefs in their presence, how can they respect us? This tells them we fear them and that our culture is just as corrupt as theirs. Why change, it'll only be a superficial one, since we still allow all the degenerate crap to go on anyway.

#318888 - 01/14/10 12:23 PM Re: Dancing Boys of Afghanistan [Re: kidneythis]
DJsport Offline
MaleSurvivor

This "whole" thread makes me sick. This is an eye-opener for me.

There is language of "man-boy love" mixed with in with "homosexuality". Please don't mix the two.

So much hatred here. This whole subject is upsetting beyond belief.

YUCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

DJ

Edited by DJsport (01/15/10 12:53 PM)

Never make someone a priority if your only an option

#318907 - 01/14/10 02:36 PM Re: Dancing Boys of Afghanistan [Re: DJsport]
JustScott Offline
Greeter Emeritus
MaleSurvivor

I'm disturbed by the practice and equally if not more that the articles quoted somehow promote this as proper "homosexual" behavior.

No matter what, it's the sexual rape and violation of children. Disgusting no matter how it's portrayed.

It's child prostitution hidden under the guise of "tradition".

Edited by JustScott (01/14/10 02:39 PM)

#318910 - 01/14/10 02:55 PM Re: Dancing Boys of Afghanistan [Re: JustScott]
Sans Logos Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: in my own world in pittsburgh,...
yea. what is most disturbing from my perspective, is that these human beings are being used as objects to satisfy someone's sexual needs, only to be cast aside like chattel and thrown away like a used snotrag then left to their own devices, once they are no longer 'appealing'. this is the worst kind of slavery, whether male or female. it is just wrong on so many levels, to reduce humans to this objective purpose.

a sad ron

#318928 - 01/14/10 09:59 PM Re: Dancing Boys of Afghanistan [Re: Sans Logos]
kidneythis Offline

I'd like to first point out that I am not condeming homosexuality in my previous post. I am condeming pedophilia.

It also occurs to me now these many hours later that we have here in front of us the explanation for where so many suicide bombers come from.
I can't believe no one has seen this before.

Its clear as day to me. I can see myself in that place after my years of abuse, with nothing at all open to me, I'd follow any authoritative voice (I did, and thank god I had some options to improve myself that took me away from that)and then being offered the universe for one small act that would end my pain and bring me nothing but joy... How do our professional agencies overlook something so crucial as a whole segment of society that is completely unhinged and salvable? Its like they are all so bigotted they just don't see these people as fellow humans. Like they've bought into the propaganda that these people are somehow different from the rest of the human race thus not susceptible to the same things as us and so subject to a different law. Christ we have whole police agencies studying those among us that behave this way and have more than enough knowledge to be able to confront this "culture" and end it. BTW it isn't a culture any more than NAMBLA is.

Edited by kidneythis (01/14/10 10:03 PM)

#318934 - 01/14/10 10:50 PM . [Re: kidneythis]
GoFigure12 Offline

#318935 - 01/14/10 11:08 PM Re: Dancing Boys of Afghanistan [Re: GoFigure12]
DJsport Offline
MaleSurvivor

Edited by DJsport (01/15/10 12:42 PM)

#318938 - 01/14/10 11:31 PM . [Re: DJsport]
GoFigure12 Offline

#318939 - 01/14/10 11:39 PM Re: Dancing Boys of Afghanistan [Re: GoFigure12]
DJsport Offline
MaleSurvivor

#318940 - 01/14/10 11:41 PM Re: Dancing Boys of Afghanistan [Re: GoFigure12]
catfish86 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Yeah, say what you want about Hitler, the trains ran on time...The Taliban literally continued the practice. Any claim to the contrary is utter BS. The persons "punished" by the Taliban for it were otherwise a problem (ie, they resisted the regime). You will notice that despite their resistance to it, it is quite prevalent in their hotbeds (pardon the pun). As far as abuse in the Madrasas, it is beyond the pale in so many ways.

#318942 - 01/14/10 11:59 PM . [Re: catfish86]
GoFigure12 Offline

#318943 - 01/15/10 12:08 AM Re: Dancing Boys of Afghanistan [Re: GoFigure12]
DJsport Offline
MaleSurvivor

#318951 - 01/15/10 01:26 AM Re: Dancing Boys of Afghanistan [Re: DJsport]
pufferfish Offline
MaleSurvivor

The program may have been knocked off our local agenda. They played a substitute program instead. mad

Why would they do that?

Allen

#318985 - 01/15/10 12:05 PM Re: Dancing Boys of Afghanistan [Re: pufferfish]
kidneythis Offline

WOW,

Ok GoFigure, My first impulse is to insult you for your ignorance and bigotry. I think if you were in the room with me we'd fight. Please do not attach yourself in any way to my commentary.
Do not attach your perverse interpretations to my words w/o taking full credit for them as your own.

I find it hard to believe that someone who has been abused can be so closed off and hateful of anything different. Of course I speak from where I am now I was at different points in my life racist, intolerant of any difference away from "American" culture, unable to see or understand anyone elses point of view since I saw it as a question of "why would anyone want to be anything other than right?" And I was already right so I didn't need to change.
That, your place in time and personal development right now, is exactly my point about the suicide bombers. This aspect of how we adapt to our abuse by seeking rigid control of our world is being manipulated and used to get them to do it.

PBS is just another tv station trying to make money. It didn't used to be. It was created to be a service not bound by the constraints of money so that it could report what the commercial networks wouldn't and put on educational programs that the commercial stations wouldn't sans the influence of commercials as it was meant in large part for children that didn't have regular access to good educational information.
That is all gone and for every show on PBS there is 15 minutes of masturbatory commercial saying the name of the station over and over with companies logos and names interspersed.
For the record there is no "liberal" conspiracy or conservative either. WE are all being manipulated by the wealthy to keep us as good little drones.
Whether or not you are one or the other isn't it even a little suspicious that we all follow the same path to finacial slavery and pursue the same ethereal and mostly unachievable "rewards" held out in front of us like carrots on a stick?
The point of this thread is the poor children being abused. I don't think the way that the question of why it hasn't been followed up on sooner is being asked is productive. I suspect it is part of the same social fabric that allowed a lot of our abuses to be overlooked. This is an ugly and painful subject that requires a level of personal reflection which most people aren't able to tolerate for not having developed that aspect of themselves. Isn't it always former victims coming forward with insights, how often do the healthy come up with anything?

Lets try to stay on the subject of these boys here OK

Edited by kidneythis (01/15/10 12:12 PM)

#319000 - 01/15/10 01:29 PM Re: Dancing Boys of Afghanistan [Re: kidneythis]
Ken Singer, LCSW Offline
Moderator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor

Gentlemen:
May I remind you to be civil? If you disagree with each other, please do it respectfully.

Remember, we're all here for the same reason, to heal from csa.

#319002 - 01/15/10 01:40 PM Re: Dancing Boys of Afghanistan [Re: Ken Singer, LCSW]
DJsport Offline
MaleSurvivor

WOW. An Awful Article was posted here at MS and ...where are the words ****triggering***** I started reading this and was "hooked" whereas with the necessary wording I would have been more "grounded" first.

I deleted my replies. Trying to deal with a hugely triggering article.

I am OUT.

Edited by DJsport (01/15/10 01:52 PM)

#319013 - 01/15/10 03:47 PM Re: Dancing Boys of Afghanistan [Re: DJsport]
Ken Singer, LCSW Offline
Moderator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor

Sorry, DJ. It didn't occur to me that the brief de>

#319016 - 01/15/10 04:07 PM Re: Dancing Boys of Afghanistan [Re: Ken Singer, LCSW]
DJsport Offline
MaleSurvivor

This illustrates my need to be careful at all times even here when I view something.

NO topic is off limits to being "triggering". Once hooked look out - I try to make sense of it. I force myself to try to make sense of it.

It appears others do to and the result is NOT good. I stopped watching TV months ago do to the graphic nature and my lack of ability to stay unstuck.

oh well....

#319052 - 01/16/10 01:14 AM Re: Dancing Boys of Afghanistan [Re: DJsport]
catfish86 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Gofigure,

My "hitler" comment referred to the tendency of many in Germany to apologize for the Nazi regime by pointing out all the "good" that was done by them, ignoring the "minor detail" that they slaughtered millions in the most surreal manner imaginable. The same thing occurs when "crediting" the Taliban with stopping the practice. From my own sources, this is such a flimsy "fact" it is proof of intent of propaganda or incompetent journalism. Make no mistake, we have to deal in a world filled with devils. Sometimes you have to make allies of them and all sides essentially participate in this cultural practice in Afghanistan. Taliban often, at roadblocks, seized pretty boys for "training" in their madrasas. I don't often judge other religions, but the Taliban/Al Quaeda ideology is fascist (ie Islamic Nazi) in nature, I can draw the historical references if you like. They will tell you that they want to kill all "the Jews", but most westerners don't get the fact that these fascists see Christianity as a Jewish Sect. Unfortunately many Christians see they want to kill the Jews and somehow aren't alarmed. By the way, not all Muslims buy the fascist ideology but you have to be aware of and account for those that do.

#320021 - 01/24/10 10:34 PM Re: Dancing Boys of Afghanistan [Re: pufferfish]
pufferfish Offline
MaleSurvivor

Since writing this I have seen the film Kite Runners again.

It is a fine film. I recommend it highly.

It does make reference to abuse. Nothing is shown graphically but it is implied. The film is a very good statement against abuse. It is on our side in our struggle.

Allen

#329090 - 04/20/10 09:09 PM Re: Dancing Boys of Afghanistan [Re: Ken Singer, LCSW]
pufferfish Offline
MaleSurvivor

Originally Posted By: Ken Singer, LCSW
Frontline, a public broadcasting network, is airing a ........ about boys being used for sexual purposes.

This will be on in my area tonight at 10:00. Maybe it will be on in other areas also. I have no idea why it is shown here a long time after being shown in other areas.

******THE FOLLOWING BRIEF DESCRIPTION MAY BE TRIGGERING TO SOME ***
Quote:
FRONTLINE
The Dancing Boys of Afghanistan
In Afghanistan today, in the midst of war and endemic poverty, an ancient tradition — banned when the Taliban were in power — has re-emerged across the country: Many hundreds of boys, often as young as ten, are being lured off the streets on the promise of a new life, many unaware that their real fate is to be used for entertainment and sex. They’re the “Bacha Bereesh,” literally “beardless boys,” chosen for their height, size and beauty, trained to sing and dance for male audiences, and then traded for sexual favors among former warlords and powerful businessmen. With remarkable access inside a sexual exploitation ring operating in Northern Afghanistan, Najibullah Quraishi, an Afghan journalist, investigates this illegal practice, talking with the boys and their masters and documenting how the Afghan authorities responsible for stopping these crimes are sometimes themselves complicit in the practice.

Allen

pufferfish whistle

#329110 - 04/20/10 11:34 PM Re: Dancing Boys of Afghanistan [Re: pufferfish]
pufferfish Offline
MaleSurvivor

Bacha Bazi = The Dancing Boys

You can watch it online at:

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/...source=proglist

Or, you can also buy the dvd at the frontline link above.

Or, check it out for purchase at Amazon.com. It's not available until June 29, however.

http://www.amazon.com/Dancing-Boys-Afgha...1045&sr=1-1

Allen

aka pufferfish

#329202 - 04/21/10 02:30 PM Re: Dancing Boys of Afghanistan [Re: pufferfish]
ComicBookGuy Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: London, England
This was shown last night on a DVB channel in England and I missed it, so I'll have to await the re-run - but I did just finish the Kite Runner novel, not that that gives me any greater insight than a documentary would.

#329222 - 04/21/10 05:11 PM Re: Dancing Boys of Afghanistan [Re: ComicBookGuy]
pufferfish Offline
MaleSurvivor

It can be watched online. I gave the link in the post above.

You also can buy a dvd of the program.

Allen

#329496 - 04/23/10 05:59 PM Re: Dancing Boys of Afghanistan [Re: pufferfish]
ComicBookGuy Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: London, England
Thanks, will try to make time for it when college is over next week, can't read anything CSA-related when studying or I tend to fail.

#330329 - 04/30/10 01:25 PM Re: Dancing Boys of Afghanistan [Re: Ken Singer, LCSW]
kidneythis Offline

I caugth the tail end of this last night. I was able to allow myself to experience some of the feelings that came up.
Now this morning as I watch Regis and Letterman I realized that I don't experience feelings that happen as things occur. I've always known this but never realized it wasn't me being defective.
Now I realize that the healing process is going to be in large part breaking down inner barriers to my own emotions. If I can't experience emotions other than anger or some form of stimulation as they occur I won't ever be able to process what is happening well enough to react in ways that don't make me appear abnormal to others, and process what did happened to me.

This is what my abusers were refering to when they told me I'd never be ok again. This is what they were forcing me to do in the ways they abused me mentally and emotionally. They knew I was walling myself off and teaching myself to be hard and they knew it was wrong and how it would harm me. They knew that the incongruity between what I felt or didn't feel and what was happening and how others reacted would confuse me and make it very unlikely that anyone would ever listen to me because of the sound of that confusion and the appearance that I was somehow abnormal.

They knew they were trapping in this emotional mental hell and meant to from the start. I haven't quite got it yet but I'm starting to rethink and recall the why of this. It isn't just the thing I have assumed I must have seen or heard that they wanted to silence me for. They really feared how well my mind worked. They really thought it was some kind of magical aberation or "whitey" trick that I could figure out the lies and manipulations they put me through meant to make them feel less than. They honestly thought I had been sent by "whitey" to make them insecure and feel bad about themselves.
No matter how much they abused me I always was me, I never lost my self or my mental ability to figure things out no matter how many times they shocked me or drugged me into babbling idiocy, I always had a level of intelligence that drove them crazy with jealousy and fear. Even as they taught me upon recovery from the latest drugging or shock how to see and think incompletely or just plain wrongly and give me false information as truth to make me sound even more stupid and confused, I would break through in a way that made them fearful again.

So terrorizing me and deliberately confusing me about what emotions were and how to understand them and also about what was proper social conduct etc became the way they landed on as terror was the only thing that shut me up and made me withdraw. My foster homes were chosen for that purpose. The first one I endured constant demeaning, beatings daily, and sexual abuse. The second home I was isolated and ignored when I wasn't actively being mentally abused and made to feel less than and unworthy. I was only ever spoken to to be abused or ordered about and never allowed to speak if I started to express thought. Both families were less than educated and very Jerry Springer esque in their outlook on life. Rational thought never even had a chance with any of them.

In the Shelter and the two foster homes my little sister was used to further isolate me. In the Shelter she was befriended to add credence to the excuse that it was me not them that made me how I was and in the foster homes this was continued by way of the back story created in the Shelter that eventually became the "truth" that followed me. She was always treated better and she always fell into their side of things. As well as getting to go home to live with some part of the family for a while after the shelter and between each foster home. It wasn't her fault any child would have, I would have. We all need positive reinforcment.

It worked. I knew I wasn't the defective loser I was constantly told in so many ways that I was but I also had no access to rational knowledge that might provide the way out for me. That was also part of the reason for the foster homes chosen, to prevent me from haviong that access as one of my best unbreakable characteristics is that I can think and knowing truth would help me rebuild what they worked so hard to destroy. The belief of my abusers was that I'd get to a certain age and I wouldn't be able to, and that no one would help me even if they saw what I lacked, because of the American habit of not helping someone percieved to be stupid or not helping themselves. I regard this as the worst of our cultural traits since it is based on uninformed or falsely informed perceptions.

I do remember now that the date I entered and left the Shelter in my file at DYFS was a false date. It was created to hide the fact that I'd been there for years. Now I know why no one would ever let me know the time or the date of anything until I left. So I couldn't put a valid timeline to the events making it even harder to find whatever record there was or the employees who worked there when I was there.

I don't know why but they told me the date entered in my file for when I left, when I left. and that date was wrong. I want to say it was dated a very long time after I left. This was waved in my face, they were so proud and happy that they'd been able to knobble the system so well that false records were being created. They also told me I'd never recall this. I think by this time I had started to disemble and hide my intelligence. I also had the memory troubles from the ECT. I don't forget, I just lose the ability to recall on demand regularly.
"Just" like it's fucking normal!

The only way to imagine the depravity and pride for that depravity as well as the pleasure they took from my abuse, that my abusers had, is to review almost any decent historical documantary about the Nazi's and the death camps. Pay attention to anything about the foot soldiers used to do the dirty work.
My life in that torture chamber, death camp, was exactly the same for me as it was for the people the Nazi's persecuted. I never got public justice or acknowledgement for my experience and since I've recalled I've been abused and intimidated by the people who's job it is to investigate it.

How is it that I'm not a serial killer or a gangster or some kind of psycho like those who raised me meant me to be. They told me that too. I was going to be one of those things or a pedo or all of them.

Wow where did that come from? I sort of feel better.

Edited by kidneythis (04/30/10 05:25 PM)

#331586 - 05/22/10 10:07 AM Re: Dancing Boys of Afghanistan [Re: ComicBookGuy]
alan55 Offline

Loc: Seattle, WA
I watched it. Sad, scary in a way, angering. You see just how duplicitous humans can be. Sickness knows no cultural bounds and the incredible harm done to these boys will be far-reaching (as we all know). Further than intended.

Edited by alan55 (05/22/10 10:11 AM)

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Chase Eric, ModTeam 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.