Newest Members
Robert Barrett, lostsoul824, beatcook, MassGuy, wiresguy1
12278 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
4113 (60), Andre M, (36), catchup22 (62), jim OCA 7 (57), sidhearthur (55), SkyClad (65)
Who's Online
5 registered (masryt, Obi, ethereo222, 2 invisible), 28 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12278 Members
73 Forums
63169 Topics
441725 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#318343 - 01/09/10 05:40 PM Change a process name?????
JustScott Offline
Greeter Emeritus
MaleSurvivor

Can we change the name of "Private Message"?

I know from normal everyday users, they are private in that regard, but the name suggests that no one but the person they are sent to can read them.

I understand and get why Mods can read and view PM's from anyone to anyone. I know there are times when (especially when concerning minors on site) it's needed for safety reasons etc. Also allows for easier identification of the occasional troll or whatever have you.

So perhaps call them.... User Messages or Direct Messages.

The only reason I bring it up, is I know that when certain people realize that the name isn't really what it suggests, it creates an insane level of fear and insecurity in them. If we kept the world "Private" out of it, I think it would keep the false assumption from ever coming up.

#318346 - 01/09/10 05:54 PM Re: Change a process name????? [Re: JustScott]
DJsport Offline
MaleSurvivor

What a great thought!!!!

Sounds good to me.

DJ

Never make someone a priority if your only an option

#318430 - 01/10/10 03:28 PM Re: Change a process name????? [Re: DJsport]
WalkingSouth Offline
MaleSurvivor

The term "Private Message" is a general term widely used in discussion board and blogger circles as a means of distinguishing between public and private comment. It is also the term built into the UBB software that drives the MS forums. This software is purchased as a package from a vendor and can only be modified within the parameters set by the developers for the end user of said software.

The term Private Message is not within those parameters and as such is pretty much set as is.

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.