Newest Members
DougieB, sethpeterson, R Ellis, SailingAway, Kitty6
12320 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
iwishicared (41), Scott Oliver (53), TutDaVinci (32)
Who's Online
8 registered (pattom, aniceguy, cant_remember, 4 invisible), 21 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12320 Members
74 Forums
63370 Topics
443128 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#318308 - 01/09/10 11:37 AM Raping our youth in jail
Dale English Offline
Newsletter Founder/Producer
MaleSurvivor
Loc: PA
Hi everyone,

Here's a link where we could post responses as survivors. We are, after all, brothers!

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/charlotte-safavi/raping-our-youth-in-jail_b_416810.html

Taz

#318319 - 01/09/10 12:38 PM Re: Raping our youth in jail [Re: Dale English]
Sans Logos Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: in my own world in pittsburgh,...
great idea for extending support beyond our doors dale! thx, ron

#318404 - 01/10/10 09:45 AM Re: Raping our youth in jail [Re: Sans Logos]
J.R. Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: United States
These issues are so rampant in our society. It is reassuring when someone not directly involved with survivors can come out and speak to the actrocities of child sexual abuse. Let's get every American and every person throughout the world to be aware of this issue. Let's talk it up and make people understand that this issue isn't dead; it is alive and it happens more than people realize and want to think about. I think many people are afraid of the issuse; but, it needs to come out.

J.R.

#318438 - 01/10/10 06:02 PM Re: Raping our youth in jail [Re: J.R.]
catfish86 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Ohio
This kind of crime is unreal. That our system is doing it to kids is just unforgivable. You are right, there is this attitude that this is part of the jail experience and the prisoners somehow deserve this is unacceptable. Another example is a kid in a southern state that was a local problem child but one day he was picked up by a local "pillar" of the community who had "affairs" with teen boys. His reaction was to pull a knife and defend himself. The sheriff's reaction was to charge him with murder and he was convicted because, well, you have to know this kid...He eventually got out on appeals and a new trial after years in prison. The appeals were based on the fact that the judge wouldn't let the jury hear the "victim"'s fairly extensive track record of molesting teens. All based on the fact that he was a "bad kid". A bad kid may deserve jail, detention, suspension, appropriate spanking, expulsion, grounding...but not rape!

And the Wisdom to know the difference.

#318441 - 01/10/10 06:40 PM Re: Raping our youth in jail [Re: catfish86]
DJsport Offline
MaleSurvivor

Makes me sick. This is like punishing the prostitute or victim.

Makes my blood boil.

DJ

Never make someone a priority if your only an option

#318446 - 01/10/10 08:02 PM Re: Raping our youth in jail [Re: DJsport]
J1 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Missouri
I am also very upset by this new study. Its vital we all contact our local elected officials and appropriate sources to find out what will be done. Depending on where you live, the juvenile facility may have ranked in a better or worse ranking. Unfortunately, even the immediate intervention or politicians inquiry or study, will not help those who already suffer
ed. I am not a professional in sociology or such, but from what I read and know, its quite likely, male abuse victims , in custody, are very reluctant to even report such a crime. When the abuse is from staff or adults, its almost impossible to find a corroborating witness or even loctate and prosecute the perpetrator.

The juvenile facility, near me currently, ranked poorly. This may be my watershed moment to take on a new project or put heat on. Nothing will get fixed overnight....we should all check on the facilities in the report and follow up in our own communities.

Moderator:  Chase Eric, ModTeam 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.