Newest Members
JimHouston42, GKB, MorganWut, myrlin, AaronS
12466 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
BobbyJay (53), john50049 (57), Samii (34)
Who's Online
2 registered (CheerfulJohn, 1 invisible), 28 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12466 Members
74 Forums
64016 Topics
446760 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#317580 - 01/04/10 11:18 AM i really really really want to go but
Sans Logos Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: in my own world in pittsburgh,...
i'm afraid of the costs involved [beyond the registration fee].

has anyone done a financial projection of the costs of attending?

thanks,

ron

#317621 - 01/04/10 06:28 PM Re: i really really really want to go but [Re: Sans Logos]
nevragan Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: NC
Hey Ron,
Don't feel like your alone. I did a rough cost estimate and it would be cheaper for me to fly there than drive. The plane ticket was only about $180 round trip. Parking was about $40-60 a day. I don't have a GPS and would have to borrow one, another problem. I don't recall the exact figures for the rooms. I was getting quotes from the $400+ range for staying from Wednesday to Monday of the following week. Kinda high huh? The grand total I expect to spend atleast $1200 including registration. While I see this event as being one high on my list, I have to look at the expenses a mighty long time before I will spend that kinda money. I'm in NC and now that I know that Sequoa is going on, I might come out cheaper going to that instead. Part of me screams like a little kid for wanting to go, the other part schreams at the price. I will have to see if I'm going when we get closer to that time. No definate plans for now. I hope you can go. It would be a benefit to all involved. Anyhow, enough rambling on my part. Andy.

#317644 - 01/04/10 11:22 PM Re: i really really really want to go but [Re: nevragan]
Ken Followell Offline
President
MaleSurvivor
Loc: Bradenton, FL
Costs for attending can vary widely when speaking of events in New York City. I have stayed at the Westside YMCA which is walking distance from the conference on several occasions and found it clean and comfortable (not luxury and OK). Their rooms are starting at $85.00/night for a single with shared bath. Expedia is currently showing mid-town hotels from $75.00 a night and up (and UP).

You can eat affordably at several diners near the college and at Columbus Circle (about 3 long blocks away) is a Whole Foods that has a nice selection of hot food.

The Subway stop is at Columbus Circle and using that for tranportation even allows for staying out of the city and commuting in.

Yes New York can be expensive, but there are options to reduce the cost if you plan ahead and make reservations to lock in pricing. New York is served by Amtrack in addition to local railroads. Newark, JFK and LaGuardia are the major airports. I would not recommend driving into the city as parking is expensive and hard to find near the college. If driving, I would look for a parking lot out of the city and take the subway in.

Hope this helps.

Everything works out right in the end. If things are not working right, it isn't the end yet. Don't let it bother you, relax and keep on goin
- Michael C. Muhammad

"I get up. I walk. I fall down. Meanwhile, I keep dancing."
� Rabbi Hillel

#317645 - 01/04/10 11:31 PM Re: i really really really want to go but [Re: Sans Logos]
onlyakid Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: New Jersey
Hey Ron,
I've seen flights from Pittsburgh to JFK on Jetblue for between $109 and $164 depending on your dates. As far as hotel goes. It looks like (not definate yet) I will be going and looking to share a room. This would be over the river in Jersey. 30 minute travel time with BUS and Subway combo. It would be either $45 per night per person or $65 a night depending on where I deciede to stay. I'll be staying over Friday night and Saturday night, for Thursday night and possibly Sunday night, the rates would be $90 or $129 per night for you. Food would probably be about $30-35 a day. Transportation to John Jay would be about $10 a day. Transportation from JFK to the hotel would be $25 round trip (subway and bus combo)

Roughly I'd say $475-$550 plus the conference. You might be able to lower that a little by driving but not much maybe $35-50

If you want more info PM me I'll go into more detail

"and i don't want the world to see me, cause i don't think that they'd understand"

"You don't know what love is...you just do as your told"

"My life has changed. What you take as a simple thing, is not so simple for me anymore"

#317705 - 01/05/10 01:42 PM Re: i really really really want to go but [Re: Ken Followell]
onlyakid Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: New Jersey
Originally Posted By: Ken Followell
If driving, I would look for a parking lot out of the city and take the subway in.

A good parking lot would be at the Secaucus Junction Train Station which has service from New Jersey transit to NY Penn Station. Takes 15 minutes and Cost $6.50 round trip during the week and $5.75 roundtrip on Weekends. Parking at the station cost $10 on weekdays and $5 on weekends.

The parking lot is operated by Edison Parkfast www.parkfast.com click on Secaucus Junction Park and Ride for details.

"and i don't want the world to see me, cause i don't think that they'd understand"

"You don't know what love is...you just do as your told"

"My life has changed. What you take as a simple thing, is not so simple for me anymore"

#317710 - 01/05/10 03:17 PM Re: i really really really want to go but [Re: Sans Logos]
Sans Logos Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: in my own world in pittsburgh,...
hey guys thanks!

each of you have helped me reach the decision to attend.

i just booked the flight and i am getting ready to reserve the room at the ymca. they have a room with a bunk bed arrangement for $102 per night. if someone is willing to share that with me, it would be $50 per night. i am flying in on wednesday the 17th, and staying that one extra night. my flight leaves on sunday at 6:30pm.

the conference facility is a few blocks walk to the westside ymca. no parking cost. only the cab to and from the airport, and of course food. i can get in practice for starving between now and then....actually i could use a nice program of starvation following the over indulgences of the holiday season.

so looks like my beginning cost will be about $339 bucks to attend.... which won't take too much of a bite out of my credit line. who knows before then i may get rich and actually be able to afford to pay for it in advance.....

i am just going to go ahead and book the y room arrangement in advance so whoever whats to share lemme know.

ron

#317718 - 01/05/10 04:12 PM Re: i really really really want to go but [Re: Sans Logos]
Geeders Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Peterborough, Ontario, Canada
Yay! smile cool smile

#317824 - 01/06/10 09:34 AM Re: i really really really want to go but [Re: Geeders]
Trucker51 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Denver, CO
I'm still looking for a good hotel deal near to public transport. Maybe the Doubletree Suites in Jersey City, ride the PATH train to 33rd St then the subway to Columbus Circle? That hotel is nearly brand new. I can get it for $136/night in either a king suite or a double queen suite. Parking there is only $20/night with full in & out privileges. But it would take around 30 minutes to ride the train from the Pavionia PATH station to Columbus Circle too.

Or the Comfort Inn Flushing is cheap, close to LaGuardia, and just 3 blocks from the #7 train to Times Square. There is an Extended Stay America hotel near Newark Airport that runs $89/night too. You could take the train into Penn Station from there too. I think that it was Orbitz that wanted only $159/night for a double twin room at the Excelsior Hotel at 81st St and Central Park West too, just steps from the subway there too, and only two stops away from Columbus Circle too.

Still looking, the deal at the Embassy Suites is over frown Every time that I find a decent deal Trip Adviser gives the place a lousy review!!! Except they give the Doubletree-Jersey City 4.7 out of 5 stars!!! it is probably this week's best deal out there!!!

Anyone want to share a room at the Doubletree-Jersey City??? It might be good to have a car there too.

Mark

Moderator:  ModTeam 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.