Newest Members
Stormchaser, johnnyc717, bluebook, Roscoe, SJC
12314 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
iwishicared (41), Scott Oliver (53), TutDaVinci (32)
Who's Online
5 registered (traveler, bluesky, pattom, 2 invisible), 15 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12314 Members
74 Forums
63369 Topics
443107 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#317547 - 01/04/10 12:53 AM Eye Site
jls Offline

God I must be getting old. I'm a year from 40 and now require reading glasses. A few short years ago I could read even fine print in low light but now I can't. Even in good light I can't. However, I suppose it is a blessng in disguise to realize this. For the last few years while I strained to read certain forms of text I chalked it up to the bad light I was in, or that my eyes were just tired from lack of sleep. However, the other day my wake up call came when a friend in her 60's asked me to read some fine print for her. When I couldn't she lent me her reading glasses to try. I dismissed it initially but did so mostly to humour her, although with them on in one second I saw what I was reading clear as day and couldn't believe that I had gone so long without them. What an eye opener that was for me (literally:) Anyone else here nearing or just beyond forty who needs them?

Edited by jls (01/04/10 01:01 AM)

#317554 - 01/04/10 02:03 AM Re: Eye Site [Re: jls]
DJsport Offline
MaleSurvivor

Hi, JLS.

Yes. I am 46 and an eye care professional. 40 is the average age for most people needing help reading.

Here is a link to what is happpening---> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Presbyopia

Donnie

Never make someone a priority if your only an option

#317561 - 01/04/10 03:11 AM Re: Eye Site [Re: DJsport]
Barkabus Offline
MaleSurvivor

I'm 44 and just started needing reading glasses. I hate it. I still struggle by as much as I can without them.

#317565 - 01/04/10 03:43 AM Re: Eye Site [Re: DJsport]
jls Offline

Thanks for the link, and for the professional opinion. I haven't looked at it yet but will do. A question: What's the difference between pre>

#317566 - 01/04/10 05:06 AM Re: Eye Site [Re: jls]
sono Offline
MaleSurvivor

Yep...the old "here you wanna try my glasses" routine and suddenly you realize you're more like your grandfather than you imagined!!! Well, of course those of us who haven't ever worn glasses can count ourselves lucky for getting by for so many years without them.

I started the reading glasses thing a few years ago, I still resist as much as possible BUT they are a great prop. In a meeting you can give someone the feeling that whatever they're handing you is of special importance by putting on those glasses to read it. Then there is the taking off of the glasses to look at someone directly without the glass of the glasses in the way. Then there's the all important take off the glasses and gesture with them to make a point. You can also signal that the meeting is up, or your time with someone is finished by making a little display of taking them off folding them up and putting them in the breast pocket of your sport or suit coat. Oh, the games and use you can make of your glasses to send signals!!!!

I've had both so-called pre>

#317608 - 01/04/10 04:10 PM Re: Eye Site [Re: sono]
jls Offline

At least I'm further along than my grandfather was since he lost all his hair by the age of 26. Seems I've got the opposite problem. It won't stop growing. I suppose that's nothing to complain about though at my age, not to mention that I am still in reasonably good shape, even though I don't work out.

Re: eyesight, up until recently I've always had 20/20 vision so this feels alien to me. Not bad, just different. I still see very well, with the execption of reading small print. Outside of this I can see things clearly at a far distance, even at night. Actually more often at night since I mostly work nights. I hear what your saying about the power that glasses have image wise. The first time I put them on and looked in the mirror I was impressed. They go nicely with the grey hair I'm starting to get:)

#317609 - 01/04/10 04:24 PM Re: Eye Site [Re: jls]
sono Offline
MaleSurvivor

Let's not even talk about hair!!! Started losing it @ 15!! Went to shaved head 7 years ago... the ultimate " don't f*** with me look!" lol

sono

#317613 - 01/04/10 04:37 PM Re: Eye Site [Re: sono]
jls Offline

I always said that if I started losing my hair I'd shave my head. If Patrick Steward of Star Trek fame can get voted sexiest man alive by People magazine then it is definately a good look to have haha

#317704 - 01/05/10 01:28 PM Re: Eye Site [Re: jls]
DJsport Offline
MaleSurvivor

Originally Posted By: jls
What's the difference between pre>

Never make someone a priority if your only an option

#317707 - 01/05/10 02:00 PM Re: Eye Site [Re: DJsport]
Geeders Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Peterborough, Ontario, Canada
This is kinda like that nose hair post I did a year or so ago. As we age, our bodies change, and remind us constantly that we are no longer young. It does suck.

Now, ahem, cough and guffaw, having had glasses since I was, oh, about 4 eek, I simply cannot relate to some of the aforementioned resistance to wearing glasses. I appreciate that as we age, its sometimes more difficult to make changes, and especially subtle ones, like how we choose to see things.

The very first thing I do in the morning is put on my glasses. I don't walk without them, otherwise I'd fall over a sleeping dog or two. Glancing over them now as I type this message, all I see is a blurry mess. Nothing distinct, or even close to being readily discernable as a letter, or number. I wish I had the ability to see something, anything, without them. But alas, 'twas not in the cards for old Geeders.

I'll refrain from making futher comments about the blind leading anyone, for surely I'd get lost if I weren't wearing my specs. Without them, I see as much as Helen Kellar and Stevie Wonder. I'm on my third pair of progressives. As for the size of the various parts of the lens that magnify, they do suck because I have a small lens. Being fashionable and sighted I have learned can be a contradiction in terms.

Bring back those big-assed lenses of the 70's and 80's!

Jim

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  ModTeam 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.