Newest Members
BCtejas, JHNebraska, mike42069, JACKL, Personman
12491 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
mrwhiskers (25), SouthernLaw (41), TerryT (61)
Who's Online
2 registered (Laurie, Obi), 27 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12491 Members
74 Forums
64159 Topics
447737 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#317269 - 01/01/10 11:01 AM Forgiveness...
h.beat,h.break Offline

Loc: New York
I just recently found out that my mother is seeing a therapist for what had happened to me. In an argument we had over an e-mail I sent my perp while he was still in the hospital, she told me that this is like a dark cloud hanging over our family. I didn't reply while she was talking, but I was looking at it more as a truth being revealed after years of lies and deceit.

Anyway, my spirit is telling me to forgive him, but I'm being very hard-hearted in forgiving them especially my oldest brother. He might not have long to live anyway. I'm not sad about that since I have yet to be sad about anything except the ppl I am emotionally close to. That aside, I can't forgive him now because it will not be genuine. My heart won't be in it. IDK. I just want peace for my life is all. Thanks.

#317274 - 01/01/10 11:47 AM Re: Forgiveness... [Re: h.beat,h.break]
DJsport Offline
MaleSurvivor

Originally Posted By: h.beat,h.break
I can't forgive him now because it will not be genuine. My heart won't be in it. IDK. I just want peace for my life is all. Thanks.

Hi, Remy.

I am glad to hear you know yourself enough to be able to say you can't forgive him.

Forgiveness for me means giving myself a break. Forgiveness is for ourself. It is a gift one gives them self. I believe you don't need to forgive him.

Your a powerful source of healing for me.

Keep talking,

DJ

Never make someone a priority if your only an option

#317276 - 01/01/10 12:07 PM Re: Forgiveness... [Re: DJsport]
Obi Online   content
MaleSurvivor

Loc: kansas

Edited by Obi (04/29/13 01:39 PM)

my story

my vlog

#317305 - 01/01/10 06:02 PM Re: Forgiveness... [Re: Obi]
catfish86 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Ohio
I am a Christian. Christ forgave my sins. Not that I desrved it, but He did it anyway. I often wonder what I would feel if my perp greeted me in heaven. I do know one thing, its not my heaven and if he is there, I would have to accept it. I know "doctrine" would require that I forgive him. That is very hard in practice, but it is true that bitterness, anger and hatred, even righteous, often burns the one it dwells in the most. When my brother, who often was abusive to me and himself molested a 7yo girl, killed himself, I went to another state, cleaned out his apartment, tracked down his affairs, fronted the money to cremate and bury him and even organized the funeral and spoke a decent eulogy mourning a brother I hated without a hint at my hard feelings. I have never regretted doing that and at times have been glad that I did.

And the Wisdom to know the difference.

#317326 - 01/01/10 08:35 PM Re: Forgiveness... [Re: h.beat,h.break]
Freeatlast Offline

Your last sentence is, "I just want peace for my life, is all." You have taken the first steps toward that peace by bringing the truth out into the open. It sounds like this took place recently. You are taking the power into your hands. Many will tell you that all you have to do is "just forgive". You are right when you say that your heart won't be in it, even though your spirit says you need to. My experience in forgiving with the spirit and heart is that I first needed to bring up my anger and pain and express it to someone I trust. Perhaps that would be a Higher Power if that is part of your spirituality. In another abusive situation I am in I used my morning "power walks" and simply raged and sent the persons to hell. After several months I reached a point where I said, "I am tired of this." I turned to the Higher Power I know and asked for help to "want to forgive." A little later I again told the Higher Power, "I give all of this to you" and I walked away. Going through that when I flashbacked to my being raped and abused I followed the same path. In that I found the peace I wanted and I am free at last I have not forgotten and still flashback and experience the pain from time to time but I know I am more than a survivor and I have done some good things with my life as I tried to prove that I was a good man. My perpetrator died many years ago. I kept the secret for 60 years, but three other boys brought charges against him. He lost his job in the public school but a year later was hired by a parochaial school. My family did not believe the boys because the abuser was such a nice guy. It took time and I had to do it in my time and you will have to do it in your time. The day will come when you know the peace you want with all your being. That will not be the end of the grief, I just joined and when I signed up I cried because I remembered again.

#318225 - 01/08/10 07:35 PM Re: Forgiveness... [Re: Freeatlast]
estuardo Offline

Loc: ohio
I think just the idea that you're even considering forgiveness is a very big step in the right direction. I agree with Obi; forgiving oneself has got to be the first step. I also agree with DJ sport, that forgiveness is a gift to ourselves.

One thing that helps me, and that I have to keep reminding myself is: That Forgiveness has nothing to do with Trusting that person ever again. Being raised Catholic, that goes against their grain, but having to deprogram myself from that has been the layers of 'onion peels' I have to keep pulling back.

If it helps, just from what I'm hearing you say, it seems you are more genuine about forgiving, than you give yourself credit for, and that you are probably more forgiving than you think you're being.

Hope it helps, and encourages.

Peace,
estuardo

#318235 - 01/08/10 09:07 PM Re: Forgiveness... [Re: estuardo]
many_mees Offline
MaleSurvivor

Remy
Forgiveness is a very personal thing, both when we ask for it and when we grant it. You are considering a difficult task but one that rewards beyond the act itself.

Perhaps a good beginning would be to humble yourself and ask for forgiveness from God or that higher power you perceive as all knowing, almighty, present everywhere. Once you have received that forgiveness, it will be possible for you to give it.

Just a thought as you work through this awesome task.

Yours always,

#318273 - 01/09/10 04:09 AM Re: Forgiveness... [Re: many_mees]
sono Offline
MaleSurvivor

Remy,

Decide what is right for you...period.

sono

#318324 - 01/09/10 02:16 PM Re: Forgiveness... [Re: sono]
jbh8 Offline

Edited by jbh8 (02/20/13 03:48 PM)

#318367 - 01/09/10 10:11 PM Re: Forgiveness... [Re: jbh8]
SamV Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Talladega, Alabama, USA
Hey Remy,
I have enjoyed chatting with you in The Lounge, I think you are a good person. Because this is a post about forgiveness, and this is the forum on spirituality, I would speak to this as this is my area of expertise. Well as much of an expert as anyone...really.
We search for forgiveness, from others and for ourselves, because we are made in God's image. John 3:16 tells us He loved us so much, He gave Jesus to forgive us, the wrath of God being removed from us.
When we were created, God gave us a perfect balance of forgiveness, but when the first humans sinned, we lost that balance. Romans 5:12 tells us that through the sin of Adam, all are sinners. So now we do not have that perfect balance, but we still seek to forgive, why, because it has been installed in us, our original programming, so to speak.
That, Remy, is why you desire to forgive your abuser. That is also why we are not very good at forgiving. You wish to do the right thing, but we are fragmented.
There is much more to discuss, but let us take it slowly.
Almighty God allows us to forgive or not as we choose, and when you are ready, you will do as you need to. Any way you choose, you are welcome here, I consider you a friend, and I am content to interact with you, to encourage and be encouraged.
Sam

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  ModTeam 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.