Newest Members
pjmd, j_f1974, Dan234racer, ajax, marmill252
12431 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
mTm (55), Oz (28)
Who's Online
6 registered (pattom, Obi, Jacob S, 3 invisible), 19 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12431 Members
74 Forums
63839 Topics
445788 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#316315 - 12/25/09 06:53 PM Pre- Conference Institute Offerings
Ken Followell Offline
President
MaleSurvivor
Loc: Bradenton, FL
INSTITUTE 1
FOR SURVIVORS ONLY

Victims No Longer: A Recovery Workshop for Non-offending Male Survivors
(fee: $100)
Led by
Mike Lew, MEd of The Next Step Counseling in Brookline, MA.

Mike is the author of Victims No Longer: The Classic Guide for Men Recovering from Sexual Child Abuse and Leaping Upon the Mountains: Men Proclaiming Victory Over Sexual Child Abuse. For more information about Mike Lew, please visit The Next Step web site at http://www.nextstepcounseling.org

INSTITUTE 2
FOR SURVIVORS ONLY

Creativity & Empowerment: Healing through Art, Writing and Self Advocacy
Led by
Daniel Blausey MA, LCAT, ATR-BC and
Ken Followell , Treasurer and Past-President of MaleSurvivor

This institute is designed for survivors to integrate creative arts therapy techniques and self advocacy solutions to further enhance the healing process. An emphasis will be placed on educating participants on the necessary steps to create a community support group and to gain practical art based practices for self discovery. The day will include art experientials, discussions, and presentation outlining the successful implementation of a community support group. This workshop is open to all survivors regardless of artistic talent or community organizing skills.

INSTITUTE 3
FOR SURVIVORS & PARTNERS

Sexual Addictions: Eroticized Shame and Anger
Led by
Anthony Rodriguez, MSW, LISW, LCSW, Clinical Director of The Men's Center, Davenort,
IA and
Mari Lee, MA, MFT, CSAT, CDVT, Pasadena, CA

This institute will focus on the relationship between sexual trauma and sexual addiction. The first half will focus on sexual trauma as it relates to sexual compulsivity. Education on the mechanics of trauma and sexual development and the formation of and the different types of sexual addictions. The second half will focus on how the spouse/significant other is impacted by the male survivor's sexual addiction. Steps will be identified to support the spouse's own process of healing and recovery.

INSTITUTE 4
FOR SURVIVORS AND CLINICIANS

Building Places of Healing: Organizing Community-Based Survivor Services
(fee: $195)
Led by
Steve LePore, Founder, Executive Director, 1in6 Inc. and
Rick Goodwin, MSW, RSW, Co-Founder, Executive Director, The Men's Project

This Institute will focus on the needs of health care professionals, community activists and program managers alike in their need to establish and maintain thriving male survivor services. Guidance will be provided by various theoretical frameworks to support the twin learning goals related to organizational and programming development.

INSTITUTE 5
FOR SURVIVORS AND CLINICIANS

Effective Approaches for Treating Traumatic Stress and Addiction
Led by
Denise Hien, Professor of Clinical Psychology, Doctoral Program CUNY at City College
and Adjunct Senior Research Scientist, Columbia University College of Physicians
and Surgeons,
Lisa Litt, Ph.D., Clinical Director, Women's Health Project Treatment and Research
Center, St. Luke's Roosevelt\Hospital Center,
Andrew Tatarsky, Ph.D. , Private Practice in New York City specializing in integrative
harm reduction psychotherapy with substance users and their families and
Mike Singer, Ph.D , Clinical Psychologist - Private Practice in New York City

This institute will present effective treatments developed over the past decade to address the complex overlap between trauma and addiction. Our review of empirical findings on successful treatments for this overlap will also explore necessary dimensions in the treatment of male sexual trauma among those with addictions including substance use as well as other forms of self-destructive and addictive behaviors such as eating disorders, gambling and sexual compulsions. We will include clinical case presentations and consultation from our diverse team of experts.

INSTITUTE 6
FOR CLINICIANS ONLY

Working with Survivors of Religious Abuse: Therapeutic Challenges and SpiritualIssues
Led by
Mikele Rauch, MA, LMFT of Brookline Psychological Services in Brookline, MA.

This workshop offers a therapeutic model that addresses the harm of abuse by leaders of a faith community reaches to the core of the spirit where often there is no longer a place for a god of love or a love of what was once sacred. Participants will utilize treatment models of body and authentic movement, and group process. They will identify counter-transference in both its negative and positive aspects as well as how to utilize mindfulness, language, laughter, and musical as well as movement frameworks to address the inner life.

INSTITUTE 7
FOR CLINICIANS ONLY

Sharing Our Clinical Work
Led by
Richard Gartner, PhD, Training and Supervising Analyst and Faculty at the William
Alanson White Institute of New York and
Ernesto Mujica, PhD, Supervisor of Psychotherapy at the William Alanson White Institute
of New York and at the Clinical Psychology Program of Teachers College, Columbia
University

Participants, whether new to work with male survivors or very experienced, will be encouraged to bring in case material for discussion and consultation in a supportive, collegial environment. Each institute instructor will present a case highlighting clinical themes in working with male survivors with the main focus on participants' case material. Key topics: working through symbolic reenactments of trauma history and aspects of transference and countertransference themes frequently encountered in work with male survivors.

Everything works out right in the end. If things are not working right, it isn't the end yet. Don't let it bother you, relax and keep on goin
- Michael C. Muhammad

"I get up. I walk. I fall down. Meanwhile, I keep dancing."
� Rabbi Hillel

#316451 - 12/26/09 03:22 PM Re: Pre- Conference Institute Offerings [Re: Ken Followell]
Jim1961 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Pa, but likely traveling...
Ken,

I understand that all these all-day "pre-conf" workshops are scheduled for Thurs March 18. I could potentially attend one. However, I would not be able to attend the main conference at all.

Are the Fees listed for each the whole cost? I assume that I would not have to register for the conference to attend one of these, correct?

Thanks,
Jim

My Story

#316571 - 12/27/09 05:31 PM Re: Pre- Conference Institute Offerings [Re: Jim1961]
Ken Followell Offline
President
MaleSurvivor
Loc: Bradenton, FL
Jim,

For those who only wish to attend on day there are single day options on the registration web page. For the Thrusday sessions, there is a $25.00 registration fee in addition to the cost of the institute. Of course, meals and housing are handled separately by those attending.

Everything works out right in the end. If things are not working right, it isn't the end yet. Don't let it bother you, relax and keep on goin
- Michael C. Muhammad

"I get up. I walk. I fall down. Meanwhile, I keep dancing."
� Rabbi Hillel

Moderator:  ModTeam 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.