Newest Members
Stormchaser, johnnyc717, bluebook, Roscoe, SJC
12314 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
blueturtle (46), David C (40), DavidC (40), Derdlecar (61), Hector (54)
Who's Online
2 registered (2 invisible), 25 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12314 Members
74 Forums
63363 Topics
443069 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#316042 - 12/24/09 09:51 AM I hope God is pissed...
Dale English Offline
Newsletter Founder/Producer
MaleSurvivor
Loc: PA
Hi all,

If anyone still thinks sexual abuse isn't prevalent in religious circles, get a load of this:

http://www.churchabuselawblog.com/clergy...e-to-the-police

Taz

#316047 - 12/24/09 10:41 AM Re: I hope God is pissed... [Re: Dale English]
JustScott Offline
Greeter Emeritus
MaleSurvivor

God is "Pissed".

Jesus said Himself that it is better for a man to have a millstone put around his neck and thrown into the ocean than to harm a child.

So the modern interpretation of that is simple. God views hurting children seriously enough that He says the person is better dead than harming a child.

On Judgement day God's fury will know no bounds.

#316102 - 12/24/09 05:20 PM Re: I hope God is pissed... [Re: JustScott]
jls Offline

Given all the sexual abuse scandals someone should tell the Catholic Church that. JS

#316116 - 12/24/09 06:54 PM Re: I hope God is pissed... [Re: jls]
catfish86 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Ohio
While it is true that the various churches have mishandled or outright covered up and ignored abuse cases, the same is true of virtually every institution of our society. It happens every day in churches, schools, boy scouts, youth sports leagues, day cares, foster care, homes, orphanages, choirs, military and police organizations, the medical profession and the list goes on. These clergy abuse scandals are the acts of human beings, not God.

That being said, much harm is done because many abusers invoke the name of God just like the devil tempted Jesus by quoting>

Edited by catfish86 (12/24/09 06:57 PM)
And the Wisdom to know the difference.

#316295 - 12/25/09 04:31 PM Re: I hope God is pissed... [Re: catfish86]
jls Offline

Your right about instititional abuse being wide spread. Here in Canada we are dealing with the fall out from the residential schools debacle. In case you aren't aware of what residential schools were, for decades the Canadian government had a policy of assimilating aboriginal people by removing native children from their homes and placing them in government supported, church run live-in schools, often thousands of miles from where these kids came from. Needless to say stories of physical and sexual abuse of these kids are rampant, as well as darker stories, such as hundreds who died mysteriously and who's remains have yet to be found. The churches who ran these schools have since tried to lay the blame at the feet of the government but truth is both are complicit. One aboriginal leader put it best when he said that the first abuse of power wasn't the physical or sexual abuse that occured in the schools in question. Rather, it was the government's policy of removing these children from their rightful homes in the first place simply because they were native. I couldn't agree with him more. JS

#316317 - 12/25/09 07:26 PM Re: I hope God is pissed... [Re: jls]
LilacLouie Offline

Loc: Utah
"Prevalent"? That means "being in ascendancy, dominant; generally or widely accepted, practiced, or favored; widespread;".
It happens there, yes. Just like in school. But is it widely accepted or practiced? No, I don't think so. Nor is it favored or widespread.

The only difference that I see is in an institutional environment such as school or church it's harder to hide. So you'll see far more of it there. What about groups like Royal Rangers? Job's Daughters"? Boy Scouts? Girl Scouts? YMCA? YWCA? There's a number of other programs where it happens as well. What about those?

#316326 - 12/25/09 08:15 PM Re: I hope God is pissed... [Re: LilacLouie]
jls Offline

Your right about that. I used examples of church and state to bring attention to the problem at the highest level. On other levels, like you described, it is just as bad if not worse. JS

#316395 - 12/26/09 05:37 AM Re: I hope God is pissed... [Re: jls]
LilacLouie Offline

Loc: Utah
I see what you meant and I understand.

#316413 - 12/26/09 11:06 AM Re: I hope God is pissed... [Re: LilacLouie]
Dale English Offline
Newsletter Founder/Producer
MaleSurvivor
Loc: PA
Hi all,

It's interesting how reading an article like this sends us all out on tangents because we're triggered by some aspect of it. What motivated me as a clergy abuse survivor to post it was the title of the article, "Should Catholic clergy and officials be criminally charged if they fail to report child abuse to the police?"

To this question my reply is ANYONE who fails to report child abuse to the authorities should be criminally charged. And my follow-up question is why is it that ONLY "men and women of God" are still exempt from the law??

Taz

#316435 - 12/26/09 01:20 PM Re: I hope God is pissed... [Re: Dale English]
catfish86 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Ohio
Institutions that are responsible are proactive in training and policy to prevent a situation where a worker should even be in a position to abuse. When I did an internship at a juvenile group home that was part jail (an actual juvenile jail was in the same compound), there was a policy of never being alone with a juvenile. They had, as part of their continuing ed, a class on avoiding those situations such as never being present when I youth is dressing, etc. When I was a boy scout leader of my son's troop, it was mandatory to take an online course of what was appropriate. As a soccer coach, I resigned and transfered to another team when I looked up and found there were no other adults present, all the parents had left. Especially now, after recovering memories of my own abuse, I will never allow myself to be in a position to be falsely accused. The boy scout training put it in the light of avoiding false accusations but they should also put it in the light of not putting yourself in a position to abuse.

And the Wisdom to know the difference.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Chase Eric, ModTeam 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.