Newest Members
andrewmartin, Aurigny, Luther, LuckyCharm, Jennifer Lyons
12251 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
AdawgJR (28), Brian (50), hikerpark (52), Jeremy Welch (47), Logan81 (2014), Olson30 (60), Patrick7958 (56)
Who's Online
3 registered (3 invisible), 44 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12251 Members
73 Forums
63104 Topics
441296 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#315182 - 12/19/09 01:01 PM NEVER talk to the police
Hauser Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: United States

The 5th Amendment is not a get-out-of-jail-free card for criminals, it's to protect INNOCENT people.

This lecture should be taught in every High School.

#315197 - 12/19/09 02:11 PM Re: NEVER talk to the police [Re: Hauser]
catfish86 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Ohio
EXCELLENT ADVICE!!! The police officers that taught the course I was required to take to get a concealed handgun license were emphatic about that. In a section entitled "what to do if you are involved in a shooting", they said call law enforcement to the scene then lay down your weapon and refuse to talk without an attorney. They said it is ALWAYS worth EVERY PENNY. 1) You don't know how thin the line between shooting someone in self defense and not being a justified shooting is, especially when you are dealing with the adrenaline rush. 2) Police will interview you for hours repeating details until you trip up, a lawyer will organize your statement, consider the angles and give it to them one time then end the interview. No chance to get you to contradict yourself.

And the Wisdom to know the difference.

#315315 - 12/20/09 03:17 AM Re: NEVER talk to the police [Re: catfish86]
LilacLouie Offline

Loc: Utah
I agree with both posts ten billion percent! I remember when I was interviewed by the detective regarding the rape in '87, I was treated like a criminal, and I was the victim!

#315419 - 12/20/09 06:19 PM Re: NEVER talk to the police [Re: LilacLouie]
onlyakid Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: New Jersey
I was watching "COPS" the other night and they had a guy detained for questioning on the side of the road and the cop asked "Do I have your permission to search the car?" Suspect says "Don't you need a warrant to do that?" Cop: "Well I'm going to search it anyway" (the inference was he had probable cause). So why does the officer ask the suspect if he can when he is going to do it anyway? Simple Answer, Cop isn't 100% sure he has probable cause and if he gets permission he doesn't need probable cause and the evidence can't be thrown out.

If they have evidence on you, they have evidence and they will use it. If you talk, you may give them more evidence and if they have a "confession", you will be almost assured you will not get a deal.

"and i don't want the world to see me, cause i don't think that they'd understand"

"You don't know what love is...you just do as your told"

"My life has changed. What you take as a simple thing, is not so simple for me anymore"

#315503 - 12/21/09 10:50 AM Re: NEVER talk to the police [Re: onlyakid]
kidneythis Offline

I'm not a criminal and don't have much to do with the police except for traiffic stuff occasionally. I know this which probably applies accross the board; Whenever the police ask you a yes/no question always say no. The purpose of asking you if you knew why they pulled you over is to get a confession before they even tell you what's up.
Just say no in a pleasant voice and wait for the reply. Admit nothing, and if the cop is persistent admit less since this means he doubts his legal position and is looking to solidify something even he/she thinks is legally shaky.

#315596 - 12/21/09 09:24 PM Re: NEVER talk to the police [Re: kidneythis]
Hauser Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: United States
Or, better yet, preempt his question with your own question, such as "Good evening officer, why did you pull me over?"

#315630 - 12/22/09 12:08 AM Re: NEVER talk to the police [Re: Hauser]
alan55 Offline

Loc: Seattle, WA
In my line of work I deal with the police, courts, probation, DOC and officers on different levels. I see it from their side,too. When my clients get all upset because they had to deal with the police, I ask them who would they call if their wife/husband/kids/significant other was being accosted or hurt or threatned on some way. I say I know it wouldn't be their crack dealer or their drinking buddies because those people would be nowhere in sight, even if they knew it was going on.I have never dealt with the police in a legal manner, other than getting a speeding ticket on the freeway in Oregon in 1998. Why? Because I don't do anything to make them even look my way, let alone stop me. Don't do something the police will take notice of and you have nothing to worry about. True, there are "bad cops", just like there are bad people in any profession. But when we need the assistance only they can render, who do we call?

#315719 - 12/22/09 12:07 PM Re: NEVER talk to the police [Re: alan55]
kidneythis Offline

This isn't about that. This is about how to behave when you are dealing with a policeman who has stopped you. You don't know if this is a good or bad cop when you're being detained thus you must always act to protect yourself and not volunteering info is a cardinal rule of that.
Many many people who haven't done anything wrong get into trouble by just being open with the cop thinking that there is nothing to worry about since they aren't criminals. Cops have to think all of us are criminals when they deal with us and will use whatever you say against you if they want to for any reason.
That doesn't mean all cops are bad it just means you have to be proactive because you never know which one is.

#317542 - 01/04/10 12:25 AM . [Re: kidneythis]
GoFigure12 Offline

Loc: USA

#317552 - 01/04/10 01:26 AM Re: NEVER talk to the police [Re: GoFigure12]
Barkabus Offline
MaleSurvivor

I am an ex-cop. I can assure you that I was instructed while attending the academy regarding traffic stops to ask questions of the driver in order to illicit a confession to the violation. The answer the driver gives will be written down verbatim in the police officer's notebook to be used in court should the driver choose to challenge the citation. Saying "I don't recall breaking any traffic laws" won't necessarily mean you won't be cited, it just means the office must show other proof of your guilt.

However, I shudder to think what crime investigations will look like if everyone interviewed by police take the advice given in this video and refuse to answer questions. Ulitmately I think the outcome will favor criminals by making it much harder and time consuming to investigate crimes.

Mike

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.