Newest Members
lilac, The Wife Of, smusab, whiteflag, North101
12287 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
cards (33), korbin2003 (39), Rosemary (53), Zebra (47)
Who's Online
3 registered (Bluedogone, don64, 1 invisible), 20 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12287 Members
73 Forums
63215 Topics
442037 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#314994 - 12/17/09 11:33 PM Hotel Deals for those willing to share a room
onlyakid Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: New Jersey
Truckers post reminded me that sharing rooms with people you know can really save money. I'm still figuring out if I can go but here are a few options for the conference (SOME RATES MIGHT BE PREPAYED NO CANCEL READ BEFORE BOOKING)

In Manhattan (Note: Hotel taxes are higher in manhattan)

Doubletree Suites New York Times Square
$319.00 a night 1 King and a sofa bed (seperate rooms)
(up to 2) $159.50 a night per person
$359.00 a night 2 Doubles and a sofa bed
(up to 3) $119.66 a night per person

In Jersey City (right over the river in NJ from Downtown)

Doubletree Suites Jersey City
Mall Across the Street. Train Service (PATH) within 2 blocks and about 40 minutes away from John Jay (via Path and NYC Subway)
$139.00 a night 2 doubles and a sofa bed
3 people $46.33 a night
2 people $69.50 a night (can get a king or queen bed for same price)

In Secaucus
(across the river from Midtown/Times Square..Closer to John Jay)

Hyatt Place Secaucus New Jersey

Bus to Manhattan around $3 dollars in front of hotel
15 minutes to Port Authority 30 minutes to John Jay via Bus/Subway
(add 30 minutes at rush hour on Friday. Weekend will be fine)
Close to a ton of stores and resturants

$149 a night for 1 king or 2 double beds w/sofa bed
$49.66 per night w/3 people
$74.50 per night w/2 people

Embassy Suites Secaucus
Near Hyatt Place includes FULL cooked to order breakfast

$169 a night for 1 king or 2 double beds w/sofa bed
$56.33 per night w/3 people
$84.50 per night w/2 people

Just a few suggestions, if I go I will most likely share a room

"and i don't want the world to see me, cause i don't think that they'd understand"

"You don't know what love is...you just do as your told"

"My life has changed. What you take as a simple thing, is not so simple for me anymore"

#315015 - 12/18/09 04:30 AM Re: Sharing rooms [Re: onlyakid]
Trucker51 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Denver, CO
My flight is into LGA, so that is why I have not really considered staying in New Jersey. The Stamford Super 8 is only $75/night and that includes breakfast. It was just totally remodeled too. Then on top of that is the daily roundtrip on Metro North to Grand Central, the 42nd Street Shuttle, then the #1 train up to Columbus Circle too.

I am leaning toward the hotel that my friend here in South Pasadena just told me about at 81st Street and Central Park West, right next to the Museum of Natural History. Of course, anything into Penn Station or the Path train gets you onto a connecting subway to Columbus Circle too. My friend is an artsy, fairly-liberal music and movie producer type who told me that I would enjoy that neighborhood too, but you are right, the Manhattan hotel tax is 14.75% plus a daily bed tax too. Trish told me about the Park79 hotel which is in the same neighborhood and is a bit less expensive too. But I would be willing to share someplace nice too.

One of the north city view suites at the Excelsior can be had for $269/night, which would include one or two queen beds and a sleeper couch in separate rooms. Or if you want a place that got lousy reviews on Trip Adviser.com, the Amsterdam Court can be had 200 feet from the 50th & Broadway #1 train for $179/night for a 2-bed room too. There is no subway service near the Hampton so I would have to take a cab from there.

Those Jersey hotels sound decent, but it would be a bit of a ride from LGA to get there. I would be willing to share a room if you are interested though.

Mark

#315132 - 12/19/09 12:20 AM Re: Sharing rooms [Re: Trucker51]
onlyakid Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: New Jersey
Not sure if I'm going yet I was just giving some suggestions to other people, but if I do go, I will PM you to see if your still looking for someone

"and i don't want the world to see me, cause i don't think that they'd understand"

"You don't know what love is...you just do as your told"

"My life has changed. What you take as a simple thing, is not so simple for me anymore"

Moderator:  ModTeam 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.