Newest Members
dspwilson, Won'tGiveUp, sillyputty, Pytbull, manipulated
12384 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
4gettingthepast4 (32), DougL (53), Jeff38 (48), lfp (27), pats121 (75), Texan (57), zer0sleep (35)
Who's Online
3 registered (motmcd, 2 invisible), 34 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12384 Members
74 Forums
63653 Topics
444539 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#313955 - 12/10/09 11:43 PM Native American Religion
Dewey2k Offline
MaleSurvivor

Is anyone here practicing Shaman knowledgeable about the North American Native religion? Please PM me or post here if you are.

Thanks,
Dwayne

Edited by Dewey2k (12/11/09 02:17 PM)
Edit Reason: Change topic and initial post to clarify topic.

#313976 - 12/11/09 07:57 AM Re: Shamanism? [Re: Dewey2k]
DJsport Offline
MaleSurvivor

oops....nevermind then...not what I was thinking...

Edited by DJsport (12/11/09 11:52 AM)

Never make someone a priority if your only an option

#313998 - 12/11/09 11:49 AM Re: Shamanism? [Re: DJsport]
pufferfish Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: USA
I don't know where you are coming from in asking about this. How knowledgeable are you about these things?

I spent 2 years in Africa as a Peace Corps teacher. In Africa the shaman is called a "zoman". It is the same word with a slightly different pronunciation. In fact the word shaman is used around the world in very different cultures for the same thing.

A zoman is a witch doctor. They are greatly feared by the tribesman. They have more power than the village chief. Some of them could sometimes perform healings through occult arts. They rule the people with fear and occult rituals. They rule with a secret society mechanism. The boys are taken from their mothers just before puberty and taken to bush school. There they are circumcised and taught the secrets of the village clan. Some of them never return. Many of them still practiced child sacrifice.

When I was trying to sleep, I could hear the drums pounding in the village in the distance. Quite frightening. They would go all night. I was warned never to approach the village during those times. I took that seriously.

Watch out!! eek

Allen

pufferfish whistle

#314003 - 12/11/09 12:19 PM Native American Religion [Re: pufferfish]
Dewey2k Offline
MaleSurvivor

I was more wondering about the North American Native practices as opposed to anything like what you mention, Allen.

I read that shamanism and Native American religions are not the same, so I apologize for my poor choice of terms. I have edited the title of the post(s) here to be more accurate.

Edited by Dewey2k (12/11/09 02:14 PM)

#314461 - 12/14/09 05:42 PM Re: Native American Religion [Re: Dewey2k]
melliferal Offline
MaleSurvivor

I was under the impression that there were a number of distinct Native American religions.

Oprah's resources for male survivors

#314477 - 12/14/09 08:00 PM Re: Native American Religion [Re: melliferal]
Dewey2k Offline
MaleSurvivor

I'm certain there are. NM... I'll look elsewhere.

#314520 - 12/14/09 11:36 PM Re: Native American Religion [Re: Dewey2k]
LilacLouie Offline

Loc: Utah
Dewey, you need to ask yourself (and us, if anyone else is interested), WHICH tribe? Different tribes have different religions.

When I was in college I studied the Utes and the sub-cultures within it. Very unique culture, AFAIC. And I have been trying to remember what I studied....LOL!

When you decide on a tribe (if you can't decide, just pick one and start from there), research the tribe and find their tribal office. Contact them and ask for guidance. THAT is the best way to do it.

My suggestion, pick a small tribe. Like the Hoopa of N. California. There's a few small ones there as well. Small tribes appreciate it when people want to learn about them. larger ones have become calloused because so many people try to join after learning, thinking they can lie their way in.

If I could help you more, I would, just let me know if I can.

#468297 - 08/01/14 12:42 AM Re: Native American Religion [Re: Dewey2k]
victor-victim Offline

Loc: O Kanada
dear deweh2k,

i, too, have a great interest in this subject.
it is in my blood.

if you are curious,
i have posted my favourite information here.
http://www.malesurvivor.org/board/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=433551

these are some of the names i recommend for research.

Don Miguel Ruiz
Richard Wagamese
Carlos Castaneda

if there are any other names that anyone wishes to recommend, i would appreciate that.
i am always on the hunt for good reading.

--------trigger warning-----------

i realize that this post is years old, but i was triggered when i read it,
and i felt compelled to respond. read on at your own risk.

the unfortunate fact is, my family and culture has been devastated by institutionalized sexual abuse on an epic scale.
the residential school scandal has deeply scarred generations.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_4-TYwFS-P0
the disclosure of this has traumatized the good people of the non-native community.
the damage ripples on.
currently, the country i live in is undergoing enormous efforts to address that ugly chapter in our past.
we must learn to forgive and live together to build a better future for our children's children.
revenge and resentment are not a viable option
reconciliation and restitution are the way forward.

Indian Residential School Truth and Reconciliation Commission of Canada
The TRC is a component of the Indian Residential Schools Settlement Agreement.
Its mandate is to inform all Canadians about what happened in Indian Residential Schools (IRS).
The Commission will document the truth of survivors, families, communities and anyone personally affected by the IRS experience.
This includes First Nations, Inuit and Métis former Indian Residential School students, their families, communities, the Churches, former school employees, Government and other Canadians.
The Commission has a five-year mandate and is supported by a TRC Secretariat, which is a federal government department.

http://www.trc.ca
https://www.culturalsurvival.org/publica...econciliation-c

Hidden from History: The Canadian Holocaust
The Untold Story of the Genocide of Aboriginal Peoples by Church and State in Canada
http://canadiangenocide.nativeweb.org

over 4,000 aboriginal children died in residential schools.
sexual abuse rates were as high as 75 percent in some schools, and rates of physical harms were higher still.
this is genocide.
The Truth and Reconciliation Commission has established “The Missing Children Project” to assemble the names of children who died, how they died, and where they were buried.
The list of names will be contained in a registry available to the public.
“Aboriginal kids’ lives just didn’t seem as worthy as non-aboriginal kids,” Kimberly Murray, executive director of the commission, said in an interview.
Murray said the exact number of deceased children will never be known, but she hopes more information will come from churches and provincial files.
“I think we’re just scratching the surface.”

http://news.nationalpost.com/2014/01/03/...ommission-finds

native american religion and child sexual abuse are walking hand in hand these days.

so there is a lot of spiritual healing and forgiveness going on between the first nations community and the canadian public,
which has revived some of the old rituals and beliefs.
things like sage, smudging, sweat lodges, potlatches and powwows are regaining status and popularity.
elders are being honoured.
ancient stories are being retold.
lost languages are being learned.

my wife has been directly involved in the "Truth and Reconciliation Commission" project for the past few years.
she is still connected with her cree heritage.
i am alienated from my stó:lo roots. zero contact.

although i have done some experimenting in experiences,
my knowledge of native american religion is very general and academic.

i have been mainly interested in the pre-Columbian societies.

as mentioned above by melliferal, there are many nations in the americas,
and there are many overlapping and contrary belief systems.
for example, the aztec religion was notorious for human sacrifice,
but the hopis were renowned for their nonviolence.
some natives believed in alien gods from other stars.
some believed in spirits in the wind.
some believed the gods lived underground.
you can find anything you want.

native americans are no different than the rest of the world.
no better. no worse.
we are all different from each other individually.
we are all the same.
no two agree.

there was good and evil here long before the europeans ever arrived.
it is the human condition.

War
Love
Poetry

#468301 - 08/01/14 01:44 AM Re: Native American Religion [Re: Dewey2k]
don64 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: St. Croix, USVI
Hi Dewey 2k,

Medicine Cards have been a major part of my spiritual practice for 20 years. The other oracle I use is runes. I have used 2 Shamans over the years, and learned some things. For me, some of the shamanistic meditation techniques I've used and my experience with the two Shamans themselves wasn't really what I was looking for. My experience with the Shaman side of things is it involved a lot of issues of power from the standpoint of more or less power, and power over another energy. That has never been my interest.

I'm more in the love melts everything camp, and, Fawn, the medicine card for love, says that the only balance to power is love and compassion. The medicine cards, for me, hold much timeless wisdom.

Many years ago I was reading a Shamanistic book, and was doing a guided meditation listed in the book. The meditation involved in going into the earth, and eventually I was in a cave seated on a rock chair. A power animal was accompanying me, a dog or a wolf, and was behind me while I was seated and watching scenes moving across a screen. My grandmother was in one of the scenes running across a pasture of cows. My power animal enveloped me and kicked me totally out of the meditation. When I came out of the trance I was in, I realized I had been under for 45 minutes, and that it was not safe for me to do what I was doing. I never returned to Shamanistic options.

Listen to your intuition about what's best for you. Find safe ways to explore what you are drawn to.

Sending you love and good will,

Don

Edited by don64 (08/01/14 01:53 AM)
Divine Law is not judgment or denial of self truths. Divine Law is honoring harmony that comes from a peaceful mind, an open heart, a true tongue, a light step, a forgiving nature, and a love of all living creatures. Jamie Sams & David Carson, Medicine Cards

#468303 - 08/01/14 03:17 AM Re: Native American Religion [Re: don64]
victor-victim Offline

Loc: O Kanada
dear don64,

i am curious,
can you tell me more of what you know about medicine cards.
i have little knowledge of the subject.

by the way,
your story reminded me of Plato's Cave.
http://www.malesurvivor.org/board/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=460775#Post460775

War
Love
Poetry

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  ModTeam 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.