Newest Members
lilac, The Wife Of, smusab, whiteflag, North101
12287 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
adam319 (46), Bellemaman (36), Bob G. (58), S D Witwicky (38)
Who's Online
3 registered (Obi, ethereo222, Doubter), 24 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12287 Members
73 Forums
63225 Topics
442120 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#313955 - 12/10/09 11:43 PM Native American Religion
Dewey2k Offline
MaleSurvivor

Is anyone here practicing Shaman knowledgeable about the North American Native religion? Please PM me or post here if you are.

Thanks,
Dwayne

Edited by Dewey2k (12/11/09 02:17 PM)
Edit Reason: Change topic and initial post to clarify topic.

#313976 - 12/11/09 07:57 AM Re: Shamanism? [Re: Dewey2k]
DJsport Offline
MaleSurvivor

oops....nevermind then...not what I was thinking...

Edited by DJsport (12/11/09 11:52 AM)

Never make someone a priority if your only an option

#313998 - 12/11/09 11:49 AM Re: Shamanism? [Re: DJsport]
pufferfish Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: USA
I don't know where you are coming from in asking about this. How knowledgeable are you about these things?

I spent 2 years in Africa as a Peace Corps teacher. In Africa the shaman is called a "zoman". It is the same word with a slightly different pronunciation. In fact the word shaman is used around the world in very different cultures for the same thing.

A zoman is a witch doctor. They are greatly feared by the tribesman. They have more power than the village chief. Some of them could sometimes perform healings through occult arts. They rule the people with fear and occult rituals. They rule with a secret society mechanism. The boys are taken from their mothers just before puberty and taken to bush school. There they are circumcised and taught the secrets of the village clan. Some of them never return. Many of them still practiced child sacrifice.

When I was trying to sleep, I could hear the drums pounding in the village in the distance. Quite frightening. They would go all night. I was warned never to approach the village during those times. I took that seriously.

Watch out!! eek

Allen

pufferfish whistle

#314003 - 12/11/09 12:19 PM Native American Religion [Re: pufferfish]
Dewey2k Offline
MaleSurvivor

I was more wondering about the North American Native practices as opposed to anything like what you mention, Allen.

I read that shamanism and Native American religions are not the same, so I apologize for my poor choice of terms. I have edited the title of the post(s) here to be more accurate.

Edited by Dewey2k (12/11/09 02:14 PM)

#314461 - 12/14/09 05:42 PM Re: Native American Religion [Re: Dewey2k]
melliferal Offline
MaleSurvivor

I was under the impression that there were a number of distinct Native American religions.

Oprah's resources for male survivors

#314477 - 12/14/09 08:00 PM Re: Native American Religion [Re: melliferal]
Dewey2k Offline
MaleSurvivor

I'm certain there are. NM... I'll look elsewhere.

#314520 - 12/14/09 11:36 PM Re: Native American Religion [Re: Dewey2k]
LilacLouie Offline

Loc: Utah
Dewey, you need to ask yourself (and us, if anyone else is interested), WHICH tribe? Different tribes have different religions.

When I was in college I studied the Utes and the sub-cultures within it. Very unique culture, AFAIC. And I have been trying to remember what I studied....LOL!

When you decide on a tribe (if you can't decide, just pick one and start from there), research the tribe and find their tribal office. Contact them and ask for guidance. THAT is the best way to do it.

My suggestion, pick a small tribe. Like the Hoopa of N. California. There's a few small ones there as well. Small tribes appreciate it when people want to learn about them. larger ones have become calloused because so many people try to join after learning, thinking they can lie their way in.

If I could help you more, I would, just let me know if I can.

Moderator:  ModTeam 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.