Newest Members
SiegmundNYC, TheGreatWhat, MyNameIsPaul, serenity38, vivo
12486 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Can-tex (45), cbchorn (41)
Who's Online
2 registered (Nothing Man, 1 invisible), 15 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12487 Members
74 Forums
64149 Topics
447616 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#312833 - 12/03/09 04:56 PM Workshop or Conference
Riley Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: USA
I debated posting this in the Conference board or here but I decided here because I'm hoping to get some input from members who may have attended a Mike Lew workshop.

I have enough money saved to attend 1 day at the conference in NYC. I debating registering for the Mike Lew workshop or to attend a day at the conference itself. I looked through the topic discussions, but I can't tell what kind of format everything is. Is it purely informational or is their a healing context as well?

Any advice/opinions is much appreciated, thanks.
Riley

#313431 - 12/07/09 09:36 PM Re: Workshop or Conference [Re: Riley]
expom Offline

Loc: Australia
Please note from the outset that I have yet to attend an MS International conference but here is my understanding.

All of the sessions at the conference itself are supposed to be informative, educational etc but NOT therapeutic in themselves.

There are several places - as you go through the conference site - that seek to explain clearly that it is not the intention to provide therapy during the sessions listed. It is acknowledged that virtually anything can act as a trigger to survivors and as a result there is note made that there is a counsellor who will be on duty should the need arise for a de-briefing. But not for therapy.

I have attended 3 weekend workshops with Mike Lew when he has come over here to Australia in the last few years. My take is that they have been - quite literally - life saving and have stimulated a desire for life in me.

I understand that there is a big difference between attending a daylong workshop and attending a weekend workshop - the content has to be different and it is not reasonable to think that the same effects and outcomes can be expected from both events.

For me, the opportunity to engage in the "creative expression" of being able to hit the crap out of a leather punch bag with an axe handle has had amazingly positive effects in my daily life. I accept that it is unwise to attempt to provide that experience in a 1 day workshop where there is less of an opportunity for processing and grounding in a safe environment before departure back into 'normal' life at the end of the workshop.

If you really can only afford the either / or (workshop or conference) then you will need to decide if you are in most need of that therapeutic experience or the more generalised opportunity for gaining extensive valuable tools and contacts that would maybe sustain you until you can afford to attend a weekend workshop - say at Kirkridge in August.

Remember also that there may be the opportunity to apply to MS itself for a partial scholorship to help out with either event.

Difficult decisions and I don't envy you, but at least the event is being held in the USA - my wife and I will be travelling from Australia to be there for the weekend!

I hope that this helps with your difficult decision.

Feel free to PM me if you would like any further insights.

Endure and Prevail

ADen

#313597 - 12/08/09 05:05 PM Re: Workshop or Conference [Re: expom]
Trucker51 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Denver, CO
I would recommend the Mike Lew workshop. If you can get ahold of Lewis (King Tut) he attended one recently in England. I am going to attend the Conference from Thursday through the awards luncheon Saturday, though I haven't as yet made up my mind on which of the groups to attend other than one by Steve LaPore concerning people providing online support to male survivors. If you would be interested in sharing a room to help with costs I would be willing to. I have found several possibilities near the subway on Manhattan for $75-$80 per night each if two guys shared a room, or the Super 8 in Stamford is only $80/night for a double room plus the cost of the train and subway from there. I'm flying in and out of LaGuardia so the cost of getting to Stamford would have to be considered too.

Anyway, I think that the Mike Lew workshop might be a decent deal for you, and I think that you should plan to attend it if you have the time and money to do so. Mike Lew is one of the most-respected pioneers of CSA recovery and I think that you could benefit from attending.

Mark

#313607 - 12/08/09 06:15 PM Re: Workshop or Conference [Re: Trucker51]
Elad 12 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: on the coast
Hi Riley,

I attended a Mike Lew workshop way back in about 1989/90. It was shortly after I first disclosed about my csa. It was a very good experience. I can only imagine it has gotten better over the last 20 years. I would recommend it. He is a caring man.

Dale

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.