Newest Members
mossTI, E35, 1975, Lucy, StacyR
12337 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
deaddreamer (41), hkkim (55), tony watashi (44)
Who's Online
4 registered (pufferfish, YYZGIRL, woodenshoes, 1 invisible), 23 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12337 Members
74 Forums
63427 Topics
443419 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#311765 - 11/25/09 05:32 PM Why I didn't Say Anything
Riley Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: USA
This is the book by ex-NHL player Sheldon Kennedy. It has been mentioned in several posts including the more recent Theo Fleury book posts but I couldn't find any posts specifically about this book.

I finished this book a few weeks ago and really enjoyed it. I was getting a little sick of the self help books. While yes they were very helpful I just felt that they were almost all saying the same thing, just tomato, tamato, atleast the well known ones. At first it was encouraging to find out that I'm not a freak, that I just acted/thought in a very predictable way according to things that happened.

What I like about this book is that it was more then just a "here's my story" book. It explained here's what happened and here is how I reacted and I reacted like this because... You can tell he had done his research before he wrote it.

I would highly recommend this book to anybody who has read a few self-help books and is looking for a change of pace. It will put what you learned in the self-help books into context.

It had a couple pages of potentially triggering content, but nothing too extreme, and you can tell when he is getting to those a few paragraphs ahead of time.

#311893 - 11/26/09 05:31 PM Re: Why I didn't Say Anything [Re: Riley]
ComicBookGuy Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: London, England
I was lucky enough to see a report on Kennedy whilst in Canada when my memories broke, but didn't know he'd written a book, and so I alternated between personal stories and the self-help books, only really buying and re-reading the big three of Courage To Heal, Victims no Longer and Abused Boys.

When I needed a pep-up I re-read those three instead of buying any more self-helpers. So I caught up with Kennedy's book just under a year after being in Canada for continuity, and when I couldn't order Fleury's book, I gave it a third read. Still great and inspirational and short and sweet, possibly because there was only the one failed marriage. Personal stories help you compare notes in recovery when the writers discuss therapy or what they did practically, and you never know where you might find something useful.

Edited by ComicBookGuy (11/26/09 05:33 PM)

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.